Goodbye San Diego, Hello Colorado Springs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slaveunit, Jun 5, 2019.

1. slaveunit

slaveunit Well-Known Member

Well the time has come to finally leave CA. I've never lived anywhere else but I definitely need a change. I don't care for what this state has become with pretty much everything... Politics, prices, overcrowded.

So after some back and forth with job situations I'm starting a new position with my current company in Colorado Springs. I was there a bit over a month and really liked it. Although it was 36 degrees the day we left, the weather was pretty mild for the days that we were there. We looked at about 12 houses with a realtor as well. I'm saying screw it and buying one right off the bat. I'll take my chances I guess.

I know Tommy lives in CO. Anyone else by chance? I know they hate us Californians out there so I'll make sure to get new license plates ASAP!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. slaveunit

Go Vibes? ;)
    download-1.png

3. eldos1

eldos1 Well-Known Member

Denver/Aurora area.

slaveunit likes this.

4. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Cheers man. Colorado is one of the major destinations I've yet to enjoy beyond the airports, but everyone who's lived there has said they've loved it. Here's wishing you & yours health and prosperity!

sabasgr68, fullonshred and slaveunit like this.
  5. chimi42

chimi42 Well-Known Member

I was there earlier this year with the wife. Looooved it, though the high altitude messed with me a bit - and I’m 6’1 240lbs on a good day.

The downtown reminded us a lot of downtown Ithaca ny where we went to college. Talk about gorgeous scenery!

sabasgr68 and slaveunit like this.
  6. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

Congrats.

slaveunit likes this.
  7. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Wow. Nice goin Ryan.

As far as the weather... you'll adapt. You got no choice. :)

I spent a week back in the midwest in March (10 degrees), something I haven't done since '89. It was eye opening. Not sure I want it back,

8. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Is Colorado less expensive than San Diego. I know there are some pricey areas out there, but I suppose I assume there have to be some places one can live and work for a reasonable price.

slaveunit likes this.
  9. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Good luck. Dont blame you a bit. It's silly we never got together to jam some. Or at least check out each others equipment.

Wait, that didn't sound right. :)

10. slaveunit

I think Denver is fairly comparable to San Diego. Colorado Springs is cheaper in most senses. In Real Estate I'll be looking at a 5 bdrm 3000+ sqft house for about $400k. That same house in a general area of San Diego would be close to $850-900k. When gas was $4.25 here it was about $2.79 there I believe. There is no CRV bs on every bottle or can you buy. Bags are still free at grocery stores. Restaurants were cheaper. Alcohol at the restaurants were definitely cheaper. It's lots of little things that add up imo. State income tax is a tad lower. Also real estate taxe here is about 1-1.1%. There it's .056% I think. But in some areas can be close to 1%.

DonM likes this.
  11. slaveunit

I know it does stink for how long we have been in here. After selling my house in East County I moved to Mira Mesa to rent. That was 10 years ago. Now that I'm ready to buy again I look around and think... No way I'm spending $600k on these little average houses. And a $800k house mortgage payment would make life very uncomfortable for me.

Bubba Zanetti likes this.
  12. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

Congrats; that's heck of a change. I did a Huntington Beach to Salt Lake City move years ago and we are now back in SLC after moves all over the country. You're going to love it. It takes a couple of weeks to acclimate to the altitude but it's no big deal. Dry climate makes the winters much more tolerable, and you'll have more sunshine than what we get in SLC.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  13. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

very cool! I love Colorado. Best of luck!

I myself made the move back to Texas after 25 years away. Two in San Francisco and 23 in NYC.

14. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

Opportunity costs associated with your move will include a drop in the quantity of cultural offerings, a more homogeneous population (I have mixed feelings on this) and separation from family and good friends. The quality of education is always dependent on a community's commitment to it.

Garage parking is often sacrificed for "stuff." Tennis racquets are replaced by camping gear, snow shovels and winter/summer clothes storage bins. Don't have a dog? You'll be the only one on your block not to. If you do you might find yourself lobbying for a new dog park in spite of the wide open spaces 10 minutes from your door (Colorado dog parks confound me to no end). Local television news is laughable, but the crime rate is lower.

Time. You'll have more of it. Seasons? Definitely so. Four months of winter and then a summer-long fire watch. Colorado Springs has a Triple-A baseball club (fun and affordable, but a beer still costs $8.00) and there is a broad political spectrum. A dash for Denver is an "Ok, let's go" spur of the moment decision. The Rockies have the blandest logo in baseball, Bronco fans are still waiting for Elway to unretire but the Avalanche and Nuggets are up-and-coming. None of them are leaving town for Las Vegas, either.

My father-in-law is in the middle of a nightmarish move from NJ to Oregon. Rather than being "present" and seeking out the services and new opportunities afforded him by a nearby daughter and fantastic community, he chooses to be surly and combative - which is most likely a manifestation of his fear of starting a new chapter so late in life. But it's unhealthy and unproductive.

Find the silver linings. The 'Springs isn't San Diego, but San Diego isn't the 'Springs.

Welcome to the Centennial State!

15. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

Good for you, Ryan. It has to be better. I thought things were not looking up?

slaveunit likes this.
  16. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Got a four wheel drive vehicle? You are gonna need one. :)

slaveunit and STACKS like this.
  17. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

Good on you Ryan! I lived in CS for a couple of years and absolutely fell in love with the area. What part of town? I was mainly in Briargate but also lived in Black Forest for a bit. I'd move back to CO in a heartbeat if I could. You'll love it.

18. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

it's a beautiful area. visited the air force academy on 2 different occasions in my teens

prepare for the altitude adjustment! i ran cross country in high school, and a relaxed pace 3 mile run in Jacks Valley DESTROYED me

19. slaveunit

Thanks Tim. Things definitely didn't go as initially planned but persistence kicked in right after that.

We didn't get that initial contract as I had mentioned to you. So I posted my resume everywhere and started looking. I was contacted pretty quickly by a couple of companies. Having 20 years of experience in the DOD along with a higher level of clearance helps a lot. I was pretty sure that I would be working on an Air Force base out there. But knowing that I would probably have to do a face to face interview at some point, I really wanted to stay within my company but still move. This would avoid a lot of things involved with getting hired by a new company.

So initially I was able to find a job based in Sacramento but I would be be able to work remotely. But the bad part is that I would have 30-50% travel. I took that position just to get me out to CS. I thought, well if I hate it then at least I'll be where I want and can look for another position somewhere. Being local will now make things easier.

Then last Thursday I get a call saying there might be a different position for me locally in CS. After getting all of the details this past Monday, that was the case. A lead was leaving a project out at the Air Force base in CS and they asked if I wanted the job. I already knew the PM for that project since he used to live in San Diego and occasionally worked out of our office. I accepted the job on the phone on Monday and let the other one know that this was a better fit for me.

So everything was actually really good timing and should work out. I leave on the 17th to start. I'll be going back and forth a little in the beginning while I actually move. It will be stressful but I'll figure it out.

DonM, jtcnj, sabasgr68 and 3 others like this.
  20. slaveunit

Not yet. I guess we will deal with chains until the next round of cars is needed.

Mickey likes this.