Got To Play My Katana 50 With A Band

Discussion in 'Amps' started by Tyrannocaster, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Tyrannocaster

Tyrannocaster Well-Known Member

First time I've used it with people in a real-world situation; drummer, two electric guitars, bass, and a miked (well, DI into the PA) acoustic guitar. Not John Bonham on drums. The Katana was more than loud enough; the other guitar player was using a Deluxe Reverb, and I could have buried him if I had been rude. :)

As I expected, using anything but the simplest of the effects is kind of problematic with the Katana, which IMO is not great when it comes to ergonomics and effects even though the effects themselves are mostly good. Reverb at least is a snap because there's only one knob and it's also the on/off switch. I don't have any foot switches for this. I ended up using my Zoom G2 pedal in front of the amp because it's so much easier than messing with the Katana, and because it actually has a pretty good tuner in it while the Katana doesn't have one of any kind.

Overall, I was pleased with the amp; the sound was fine when I had it adjusted right, and the volume is there. A REALLY loud drummer would need something stronger to keep up, I think, but you're not going to find somebody who plays like that in a small venue for obvious reasons. It's hard to beat it at a typical price of $200 for a combo amp that can gig and sound decent.

2. Tyrannocaster

Boss Bump.

3. solteroblues

solteroblues Well-Known Member

thanks for the info!

Tyrannocaster likes this.

4. Tyrannocaster

Thanks for the thanks! :)

5. Milkman

Milkman Well-Known Member

I fail to see how I will not own one of these soon.

despiadado and Tyrannocaster like this.
  6. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

nice, would love to hear the band if possible.

7. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Well-Known Member

Left The Beatles' home for some Krispy Kremes...
    That's definitely interesting and an amp that's still on my hit list since the Classic 30 is often a bit much around the house. The Zoom going into it was interesting since I'm considering something that I can play around with with onboard effects just for fun but will also take stompboxes.

8. Tyrannocaster

Something I just LOVE about the 50 is the portability factor; it weighs something like 24 pounds IIRC, and there is enough room inside the cab (which is on the small side) for my Zoom G2, the power cords for the zoom and the amp, and two 20' guitar cords along with a short cord to get from the Zoom to the amp. I have Fender molded cases and my whole setup (2 guitars & amp) makes a really small package. If I cut to just one guitar, it's really easy to carry around and one trip gets everything.

Now, with my Twin Reverb... :) To be fair, the Twin is obviously an order of magnitude louder, but...

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  9. Tyrannocaster

Something else: the Katana's price structure is odd: these are $200-$225 but the 100 watt head and the 1x12 100 watt combo are both $350 most places. For that amount of money I think I'd rather have two of these. The head is nice, and it does have some features the 50 doesn't, but IMO the 50 is just an incredible value. Two of them would allow great coverage as long as most of your fx came from a pedal. I use very little in the way of fx live, and the Zoom has decent compression and reverb/delay/trem/chorus and even boost. It's a remarkably good total setup for something with such a small footprint.

EDIT: a pair of them means you have a spare in the event of a failure, too. That's not insignificant in a live performance context.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  10. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I wonder if anyone has opened up these Katana's and looked at the "guts"? The Mustang innards look like a toy. I am NOT criticizing the amp but just curious. It is always fun to look at the latest and greatest must have amps and for the longest while the Mustang III was King. And Blackstar made a strong showing for a while as well. Now all you read about is the Katana. Oh and before those there was the Fender Super Champs (XD and then less so X2).

I have no pref with regards to ss or tube or hybrid. They all are cool. Anyone open one up? Pics?

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  11. Tyrannocaster

[​IMG]

Tons of 'em here.

OMB, needhelp and Tsukiyomi like this.
  12. nrussell23

nrussell23 Mr. Crown Royal Staff Member

Glad you’re digging it. I’ve been thinking about picking up the footswitch for my head version so I can start messing with programming it, but I end up just playing on clean or lead 95% of the time anyway and feel like it will be a waste of money and I’ll never use it.

Nice to know the 50 can keep up with a band.

Tyrannocaster likes this.
  13. Tyrannocaster

I pretty much leave mine on the Crunch setting. That gives me clean and dirty tones and with the Zoom I can add a boost that sounds great without changing anything on the Katana. Odd, I never really appreciated the Zoom until I got the Katana and now the two of them make a formidable pair. Nice synergy.

Tsukiyomi and nrussell23 like this.
  14. needhelp

needhelp Well-Known Member

I tried playing my Mustang 3 with a band. It didn't take pedals well and seemed to get buried in the mix unless I cranked the mids. When I plugged in at home the next day the tone almost cracked the windows.

Did you have to do any serious tweaking to hear yourself and find a place in the mix?

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  15. Tyrannocaster

Not at all. Mostly I had to stay polite and not bury the other guy; in fact, I did very little tweaking at all - mostly just volume vs gain to get the right amount of grind. They were doing a lot of what I guess I'd call "dirty rockabilly" and I needed Tele twang with breakup but not rock levels. The Katana was more than loud and pushy enough. I am actually considering getting a second 50 for the reasons mentioned above.

needhelp and Tsukiyomi like this.
  16. SalteeDog

SalteeDog Well-Known Member

Lots of volume on the 50 (I have one too) if you are playing with dirt. I do think clean headroom would be an issue if you need loud and clean though. In which case the 100 would suffice.

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  17. Tyrannocaster

That's where I question things. 100 watts is only 3dB more than 50 and that's not noticeable in a live setting. If you really need loud and clean I don't think a 100 would be enough. But the 100 combo has a different speaker and perhaps it is more efficient. For that matter, I haven't tried the Katana with a speaker that I know to be effecient; maybe the stock unit already is.

Anybody tried different speakers in one? It's hard for me to imagine that something like an Eminence Legend GB (great sounding AND loud) isn't more efficient than the OEM unit in a $200 amp.

18. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

OK Thanks! Appears similar to the Mustang. Everything micro. Nothing wrong with that but just wondering.

19. Tyrannocaster

Hey, could you look in the software and see if the Katana's updated fx include a Boss FRV-1 reverb pedal? I can't do it because I can't install the damn driver on my PC and without that the software won't run. Grr. I have to take the amp over to a friend's house; he has a new Mac and the software installed on that with no trouble. My Mac's OS is too old to run it, though.

20. nrussell23

nrussell23 Mr. Crown Royal Staff Member

I haven’t installed the software or hooked it up to my computer yet. I’m nervous about it. Something bad always happens when I plug an amp into a computer so I’m hesitant.