Ground Loop Buzz From Laptop Charger?

Discussion in 'Windows Recording' started by Briandress, May 17, 2018.

1. Briandress

Briandress Well-Known Member

Hey gang. I have an older laptop (ASUS) with a Behringer UMC 204 HD. It is bus powered and sometimes i get a nasty ground loop sound when running my guitar through reaper to the PA.

For a long time I couldnt figure it out because it was intermittent. Tried many things until last night I unplugged the laptop charger as soon as it came and it went away. Plugged the charger back in and the sound was gone for about 40 minutes or so and it came back. I unplugged /replugged the charger to solve.

Any advice here?

PsychoCid likes this.
  2. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Ayuh, that's annoying...bad power/transformer design or/and ground loops...nigh impossible to avoid entirely. If ground problem, what you can try is a galvanic separator, I used to use a Palmer one, simply to make a break in the ground without lifting it; might work even after the guitar directly. Or the charger is bad and the capacitors start to bleed noise once they're completely full or something - I'm not very knowledgeable about electrics but something along those veins.

Sometimes it helps to hook all the powers in the same strip in same phase and use a 'power cleaner' strip. Sometimes not.
    The only quite sure way to get rid of them is to hook audio up with optical and balanced cables only, if it's a ground loop issue. If it's a problem with clean power another charger could help.

3. Gagoosh

Gagoosh Well-Known Member

I had the same issue with a laptop connected to a PA. All I did was get a three prong to two prong adapter similar to this and use it on the laptop power supply:

09f727244f94381c36f2150e610a60eb.jpg

You can pick one up at the dollar store or online for cheap. And before someone says it's dangerous, it's not.

4. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I was actually going suggest this too. I had a problem with a Playstation 3 getting the ground loop buzz after the cable company re-ran the line to our house. The 2 pronger fixed it until a permanent solution could be found.