Guitar Madness Pickups

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by littlebadboy, Jan 31, 2018.

1. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    I played the GM 57 classic bridge again on my 18w TMB build and it sounded ok.
    I dropped the G pole a bit, and I really like it.

lower gain / Bon era AC/DC stuff and a little more gain general rhythm / power chord riffing.

I really think my hearing varies from day to day enough to skew everything.

robjp1 likes this.
  2. tomringg

tomringg Well-Known Member

i-feel-ya-bro-i-feel-ya.jpg

robjp1 and jtcnj like this.
  3. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you about hearing something great one day, turning my amp on the next day and thinking, what the hell was I listening to the day before.

jtcnj likes this.

4. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Yup exact same guitar, amp, room from last night when it sounded glorious .
    Next morning pure ass.

robjp1 and jtcnj like this.
  5. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Could it be something you ate? :)

BrianSkeezer and peskypesky like this.
  6. robjp1

robjp1 New Member

been using the 57 special a2 in bridge of ibanez cmm2 nice warm pup.. have a hot a5 hb i may swap it out? lol, need to hurry up and build another tele or super strat.. have 4 hb pups sitting in a box getting lonely..

7. robjp1

robjp1 New Member

that's a neat axe you got there what is it?

8. robjp1

robjp1 New Member

have the hot a5 hb bridge up waiting to go in something, and was wondering the same?

9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Well-Known Member

I gave my hot A5 to a luthier in exchange of setup work of my school Rock Band Club's guitars and bass. I didn't have a guitar to put it in. I also added a guitar that I didn't use anymore which he dropped it in. He said it sounded amazing and he was surprised.

I still have a power rails without a host guitar. I'll probably put it on my project Yamaha guitar bass.

10. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

Putting this together on the cheap and going to get a few more Guitar Madness pickups for it. Probably going humbucker in the bridge though with the other two P90. Guess I am going to go bridge P90 in the middle. Anyone have a cheap neck for me? 95926F5E-56A3-4C79-9FC9-A752E23AFDD3.jpeg

bc rich and jam like this.
  11. jwguitar

jwguitar Active Member

Ill have to check these pickups out. I am always looking for good pickups that produce a nice clean sound.

12. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

Grassroots LP.

13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Well-Known Member

Guitar Fetish has $15 necks right now!

14. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I've been having a P90 shootout for the last week with my 3 mahogany hawk strats, a gibson special, and a liquid.

I just ordered a set of GM A2 p90's ,and a neck GM A5 p90, because an SD antiquity seems to be crapping out. I got it used in a used Gibson Special and the screws have always looked very rusty.
    Anyhow, the GM's in some combo of A2-A5 mix will likely find a home in the Gibson Special and/or a Liquid.

Have got p90' set from gibson, SD antiq., lollar (+5%), and tyson tone lab 57s. Unfortunately, I had hoped my SX p90's would survive in one guitar, or another but there are too many alnico p90's in my collection that do edge the SX ceramics out, in my ears.

So far the Gibson set sounds fantastic in a hog/hawk strat. So do the Tyson Tone Labs, just a bit less open and a hair warmer. The lollars I had in a Liquid and they were good, bit of hair....but in my maple neck hog/hawk strat they have a bit more. Maybe its from further height dicking around with adjustments I dont know. Last night at a practice I had to take note how close I could get to a Richards' Cant You Hear Me Knocking rhythm sound. The intro phrases guitar.

So, with all those wonderful p90's, I will be able to compare the GM A2 set and A5 neck. I also have a artec A5 set to use. Ill try position combo's and mag swaps as needed to round out my "p90 binger days" shootout. Its about time I sorted my p90 guitars and pups.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    jtcnj, nomadh, Tiga and 4 others like this.
  15. Partscaster

Just decided to get a 3 x p90 strat pickguard from stratosphere and turn my partscaster HSH strat into a 3-p90. I'll use whichever leftover alnico and SX p90's sound good together. It'll be like strat p90 haggis using up the left overs.

Jaymo, Tiga and jam like this.
  16. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

Looking forward to what you use and your comparisons. I have a body that I will eventually put together that is diet ip for 3 P90’s as well.

17. Partscaster

FWIW, Stratosphere has $9.99 3-p90 strat pickguards.

I was wondering about pot values for p90's in alder strat. There are some 3-p90 strat vids that sound a bit too dark, or hollow, or honky. And I dont know how much was the pickups and/or other components. I'm going to start out with 500k pots and .022 cap. I never got a dark honky sound with the SX p90's. So if nothing else, I feel good about pulling from my collection of sx p90's.
    I have them with resistances ranging between 9.1, 8.4, 7.6, 7.3. I may get a few more alnico mags to have on hand.

The last time I tried a mag swap on p90's I killed the pup. Are ceramic p90 mags shaped the same? Do ceramic p90s use 2 mags? Etc. I need to read up on whats what. Can a ceramic mag be paired with an alnico mag in a P90? Too imbalanced? Plenty of questions for me to read about.

----------------
    I read a comment from Buddha Pups on an old thread where he advises not to mix ceramic and alnico mags. So I'll get more alnico bars in stock.
    -----------------

now have some UOA5, RCA5, RCA4, and A4 coming from FX.
    already have several A5, RCA2 and A2 in collection already.

"P90 Binger Days" has now been officially expanded into the foreseeable future.

-----------------

text from some forum I'm dropping here for reference

A5 polished - lots of treble and bass, mid-scooped. fairly high output. the most common alnico.
    A5 roughcast - like above but with a smoother (less harsh) high end. great for bridge PU's
    A5 unoriented - warm with lots of dynamics. like a cross between a polished A5 and an A2. great vintage tones. some of us that went to A8's for the warmth, have since taken to UOA5's, which have more character & response.

A4 polished - balanced EQ, more subtle. doesn't push any part of the EQ spectrum like most other mags do. useful when an A5 is too bright or scooped, and an A2 is too rounded on top. medium output.
    A4 roughcast - like above but with a smoother high end. for bridge PU's."

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  18. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

I just need to know what p90 to put in the middle. Have not decided whether to use a p90 in the bridge or a humbucker. Thanks for the heads up on a pickguard, but my body is routed for direct mount pickups. And he pot situation is a bit strange. This was given to me.

137BEB60-DE49-4DC1-9406-89A50729A6D7.jpeg

Partscaster likes this.
  19. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

I like the idea of 3 P90's but if you're set on a HB you can get a P90 sized HB so you're not tearing up the cavities. The aesthetics will look good & clean.

That'd look cool with a tinted to match lefty (or reg) strat type headstock neck.

It looks like my black limba PGK Jr.

Cant remember if I mentioned this or not when i asked about GM's website being gone. I was confusing Guitar Madness & Guitar Heads with 1 another.

20. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

I would like a tinted headstock for the neck as you mentioned. Just have not found what I am after yet. And a standard humbucker fits the pickup route fine, but I would have to use a pickup ring. Waiting on Partscaster’s review of his P90’s to hopefully give me some guidance.