Guitar Madness Pickups

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by littlebadboy, Jan 31, 2018.

1. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Yeah, the ring is what I was wanting to avoid.

I'd tint the whole neck not just the headstock.

2. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

At least you'll be able to follow my errors.

I am trying to come up with a plan of attack for this 3-p90 guitar discovery.

Should I target the mid pickup with ohm and mag options first? It is the middle which will need to blend with others.
    Or Bridge first? Cause its likely the hottest pup, and I have various options going down from there?
    Or, the neck because thats my usual favorite place to be? See where thats best at, and let the mid and bridge fit from there.

At this point, I think I'll start with the bridge. Then the neck. And make both as nice as I can. Then try to find some combo that mixes okay as a mid pup. EEeeek!!!

I may well find a good mid that isnt right for other bridge and neck combo's.

3. Partscaster

Here she is. 3 x P90 alder partscaster.

Using only GM p90's at this point. They sound very nice. I may make slight mag swaps once mags get here. But all 3 pups sound good. Well balanced volumes. Not rude voiced...kind of like SX pups, cleanish with hints of growl, but with the alnico mags. (I havent used any SX p90s yet, mags arent here)

Neck is A5/A5, 8.5 ohm, woody voice, nice full clean..all that. Bit of hair. I might put an UOA5 in one side just to see what happens.

Mid is A2/A2, 8.5 ohm, sounds full and round. I could leave it as is.

Bridge is A2/A2, 9.6 ohm. I might put a rough A2 in one half, or both halves. But sounds good as is. Not too bright, but gets brightish.

positions 2 and 4 have quack. 2 has a lot of quack. They both sound good. The pups mix well.
    I very much like the GM alnico p90s. Inexpensive. They dont get me into full on growl, but not done adjusting things yet, nor been in amp crank mode yet.

DSCN1958.jpg DSCN1959.jpg
    DSCN1956.jpg

jtcnj, STACKS, Bullitt4030 and 3 others like this.

4. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

So did you buy these individually or a set then add one? Nice looking guitar.

5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Well-Known Member

Any sound samples?

6. Partscaster

No, I'm sorry. I know nothing about conversion of files. Nor have I spent the time to understand my new/used digital recording device. Another guy in a band took care of any recordings as of several years ago.

7. Partscaster

Thanks. set of A2's, plus a neck A5.
    I had intended these for the Gib Special, but they arrived along with the pickguard and I realized I had what I needed to get going on it. I like the look, too.

I have mags coming from FX ebay guy. Today i jam with some friends using it, and will have better idea about pending mag swaps.

8. Partscaster

I can say the guitar sounds very good. The weber 12a125A sounds great too, so I'm sure it helps.

The GM p90s are loud, unlike the artec alnico p90's wound to about 7.2k.

At higher amp volume I was getting fine edge of breakup tones.

The A5/A5 in neck sounds great. Woody.
    I think I'll toy with the A2/A2 Mid by putting in one roughcast A2, or one UOA5.
    And the A2/A2 Bridge gets one roughcast A2 and/or one UOA5

something like that.

The alnico mags do sound better to me than ceramics.

9. Partscaster

Bridge was a2/a2, then went to rca2/rca5...and I like it alot. Medium bright, not shrill, gets snarly.

Neck was a5/a5, went to a5/rc5, ...then went back to a5/a5. Its nice. Growl, edge of dark, but amp settings can easily boost a brighter tone. Adjustments still ongoing.

Mid was a2/a2, went to a2/uoa5...then went to rca5/uoa5. Its a bit brighter than neck. Similar. Lively, punchy.

The 3 pups all sound loud, clear-ish or with beginning to breakup. Lively. Punchy.

Big differences depending on height adjustments. I'm not done adjusting. Very happy with how easy the swaps are,and how different sounding the mags contribute.

STACKS likes this.
  10. Partscaster

Hi SamIV,

I am now very much liking where I'm at with my 3 x p90 alder strat body pickup mag search. I've taken the strings off to try new combos of magnets maybe 6 or 7 times, now. Still havent tried all combo's obvious to me, but am really liking where the sound is now.

Still using the Guitar Madness p90's which started out as A2/A2 bridge/neck set. They had 9.6 and 8.5 ohm readings. I also had a GM neck A5/A5 which i put into my neck position. It had 8.5 ohm reading. I dont know about measuring henries.

Here's what I like best, so far.

Neck,......A4/A4
    Mid,....rough cast A4/UOA5
    Bridge,.... same as mid,...rough cast A4/UOA5 bridge

After reading about and hearing, I think the 4's do lend a nice rounder tone. The 5's are scooped. The 2's...I dont know what happened to them. My hearing and rationale sequentially worked them out of the picture. The UOA5's seem to me to be a great way to keep some A5 scoop and spark in the mix, but with a warmth closure to A2's.

The guitar madness modified pups sound as good to me as my Lollars, or Tyson Tone Lab. Not identical, but qualitatively as good sounding. The Gibson p90's I have, however, have more warm snarling punch.
    Maybe if I mixed an A2 with an A4, or a UOA5, or .......

I've still got my SX p90's to swap around and try to replace the dying SD Antiquity set in my Special. I may go A2 and A4 and UOA5 combo's for that project. I need to order some more A4's.

11. Partscaster

----------------------------------------------

I just played and compared for a few hours. These modded p90s sound great. Minor height adjustments make a difference as I hone in tone and balance. In different settings, I may adjust more. But for my amp zone, they have dialed in well. Nice articulate clean to growly sound. Very much a versatile set in a strat.

12. Partscaster

FWIW, I have found a nice mag combo for my Liquid SX P90s.

I've been into A4 and UOA5 mags lately. (Never tried an A3) and have a bunch of A2 and A5, both polished and rough.
    These SX p90's have ohm readings of 9.1 and 7.6.

First put A4/rcA5 into neck, and A4/UOA5 in bridge.
    I wanted to lower the voice tone a bit on both, and get more mids in bridge.
    So I went to A4/UOA5 in neck, and a A4/rcA2 in bridge.
    That combo sounds very good to me after various height adjustments.
    Punchy, clarity, growly, medium voice, in an SX Liquid.
    Good mid position, got quack..not too much.

LessPawl likes this.
  13. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info. Doubt if I will do the mag swaps you are doing. Just too lazy at my age. A5 neck and the A2 middle and bridge will have to do.

14. jmilch

jmilch Well-Known Member

So I didn’t read this whole thread admittedly....

But overall what’s the quality like with these? And sound? I’m looking for some chrome 59 type clones, a5 mags. They offer them.

And they are dirt cheap...

But I don’t want to waste my money if anyone’s tried them.

15. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Well-Known Member

As you mentioned, they're dirt cheap. In fact, cheap enough to try and toss if you don't like 'em! But most likely, you will loke them.

I have tried their Dirty Digits, Power Rails, and P-94. I liked them all!

jmilch likes this.
  16. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

@jmilch, I've got the GM high end A2s and A5s (chrome covers with silver/nickel baseplates), 59ers, 57s, Super 8s, Dirty Digits, the JB/Jazz clones and a Tele set (25s) but have only gotten around to installing the JB/Jazz ones. My post on that is #200 in this thread.

I'm having a hard time getting my keister in gear but hope to have at least the A2s and A5s in a couple of Agiles within the next two weeks. The other ones are slated for guitars that also need harness upgrades and because of my lack of motivation these days, it's probably going to be a while before I get around to those...

LessPawl likes this.
  17. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

Good stuff right there. I need some Alnico goodness in my Liquid. Thanks for the comments.

Partscaster likes this.
  18. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

I picked up 3 set of humbuckah's.....2 59 Alnico 5 and 1 57 Alnico 2. # sets of buckers, shipped for 112 bucks??? Really??? I'm not expecting PAF's, but the reviews on EBAY were all very solid.

I'm going to put them in 2 Harley Benton (old head stock) L 400's and 1 (old head stock) L-450. These old Harley Bentons, are really nice guitars for insanely low prices. I kind of don't even want to swap the pickups out, but for under 40 bucks a guitar, I'm goin for it.

howardlo65 likes this.
  19. jmilch

jmilch Well-Known Member

@tobijohn does anyone have a zebra set?

Are they cream and black? Or black and white bobbins? The pictures look like cream and black which is what I’m looking for.

20. jmilch

jmilch Well-Known Member

Have you heard the 59’s? I’m about to pull the trigger on some tonight.