Guitar Madness Pickups

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by littlebadboy, Jan 31, 2018.

1. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

hmm actually... i assumed they were g&bs but now that you mention it, i don't actually know. i don't remember inspecting them when i took them out and included them as sweetener when i traded the guitar away. i thought they were, though, to me they sounded on par with the prs se ones (i had a custom 22 semi-hollow, a custom 24, and a zach myers semi-hollow sc).

2. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

Here's something I've wondered about. PRS obviously has people who know how to spin a fabulous pickup. The Silver Sky pickups are some of the nicest I've ever heard. Then, my first PRS ever gets here, and it's a true thing of beauty. Really well made, as good as I've seen. However, for my taste, the pickups just don't even come close to what I like. They're what I like to call devoid of soul. Very generic sounding and disappointing. But then, that's my ear. After getting the Epi Custom Pro with the USA designed PAF sounding pups, everything else has been kinda, well, LAME. Variety is the spice of life, as the saying goes. Me, I'd be perfectly happy with those Epi sounding pickups in every humbucker guitar I own. LOL Boring MUCH??????

3. DonTonberry

DonTonberry Well-Known Member

I installed a set of 59ers on my AL3010 and the character of the pickups sound really nice. It was just missing a bit of sizzle in the high end for me but I tend to like fairly bright pickups anyway. Pretty damn good for the price I'd say.

I wonder if there's a way to squeeze out some extra top end...swap the baseplate? or magnets?

LessPawl likes this.

4. LessPawl

Hmm, we have some pickup builders here, I bet they'd know the answer. I like a warmer pickup, so I'm hoping these serve me well.

5. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Are you talking about SE pickups, S2 pickups (made by G&B), or USA made PRS pickups. I love the USA made PRS pickups, although many of the humbuckers have a lot more clarity and generally sound brighter than Gibson pickups and I realize that may not be to everyone's tastes. I know G&B can make decent pickups, but I'll still take a wide variety of Duncans or Dimarzios any day over them.

6. LessPawl

The import (SE) version. They just sound kind of lifeless to me??? Maybe it's just me

7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Well-Known Member

The import 85/15 on my stock S2 Standard isn't so bad. I'm used to high output pickups and I wanted a little bit more ooomph on this one, but it will do for now. I think I'll go for a Mann bridge upgrade first and foremost.

Here's my demo:

LessPawl likes this.
  8. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Well-Known Member

Here's my latest GM install...

GM Railbuckers at the bridge. The neck is a Fleor.
    27421c8e77f2459722fdaa59d776a9ce.jpg

286c9f5e63ea18828b93004b1e2ecf9b.jpg

Yep, it has 2 output jacks. It has the capability to play bass at the same time through an actual bass amp. I'll demo the guitar on a separate thread soon.

Jaymo likes this.
  9. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

It's not just you. They are boring and lifeless.