Guitar Wiring Experts - Help Wanted

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by sabasgr68, Mar 18, 2019.

1. sabasgr68

sabasgr68 Well-Known Member

Taking a mental break, and miss chatting here. Want to put my mind for a moment on what brought me to AGF. Guitars.

I believe @andrewsrea @rrobbone @Mossman @tobijohn @jtcnj and others can help? I know there are other experts but can´t remember right now. All welcome to participate.

Found a DPDT switch in my things.

The PUs on my AL3000 are four wire, so there´s the option to coil split them and have the sound of a single coil – I know it won´t sound like a strat; it´s not what I´m looking for, just want the sound of a SC -.

I understand that parallel option gives SC sound without the hum. Totally happy with it. I can use the DPDT switch to do it.

Found this diagram (see below), one switch for each PU. As I only have one switch, it´ll be the neck PU.

I´ll remove one of the tone pots and will put the switch in its place.

Any guidance, tips, recommendations? Doesn´t matter which tone pot I remove?

The one tone pot remaining will work for both PUs the way it is wired in the image?

Should I leave bridge PU wiring as it is in the guitar, and only rewire tone pot and wire the DPDT switch as shown?

Is there anything to modify in the scheme given the fact that only one humbucker will be added the switch?

Can one switch be wired so that it could handle both PUs?

Is there a simpler way to do it?

I just have that one switch. Can´t consider other options for now.

Will do this eventually.

NOTE: I have little to none electronic/electric knowledge, very basic, but I´m handy and I like to work with my hands -building, repairing, modifying, etc-. Clear instructions and you got me going; I like to know/understand what I´m doing within my limits.

Any help, suggestion greatly appreciated!

2v1t.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  2. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

You can wire one of the pickups for coil split, but it won't be noise cancelling. It's not parallel wiring that makes it noise canceling, it's having the coils wound opposite each other with opposite magnetic polarity (north side up on one, south side up on the other).

Ideally, you should have a coil split on both pickups. Then, you could wire them in series to give you a boost in output, as splitting the coils will efectively cut your output in half.

sabasgr68 likes this.
  3. Mossman

BTW, I have a bunch of push-pull pots. I could mail you one if you give me your address in a PM.

sabasgr68 and tobijohn like this.

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Actually, it's the combination of both. And wiring both coils of a humbucker in parallel (positive to positive and negative to negative) will be noise canceling.

To the OP, I have never wired just one of my pups to split or be parallel, but if I did, I would probably try the bridge.

sabasgr68 and Mossman like this.
  5. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    How is the mail running there?
    I suspect it may not be as reliable as one would like.

I think you just ground the lead that has one wire from each coil just joined together.

I think this just leaves the north coil with the screw poles in play, but have not got into this yet.

I plan on trying this as well when time allows.
    I found this one:
    281d2448b310fb94018556755ead9d78.jpg

sabasgr68 likes this.
  6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Which coil you get if you take that joint to ground may vary, but it doesn't matter much. Because if instead, you connect it to the hot side, you will get sound through the other coil.

If you had an on-off- on toggle, you could wire it so you could choose between series or either coil.

sabasgr68 likes this.
  7. Mossman

Yes, I understand that both coils within the humbuckers are wired in parallel, but that's not what makes a humbucker noise canceling. You have to wind the coils opposite of each other with opposite polarity. With single coils, the same has to be true to cancel hum. If they're not RWRP, they're going to have 60 cycle hum whether they're in series or parallel.

Mickey and sabasgr68 like this.
  8. dabbler

I wasn't refuting what you said. Only adding that noise cancelling is a matter of BOTH the windings AND how you connect the coils. E.G., if one of he coils is RWRP, but you connect them out-of-phase, you STILL will not have noise cancelling.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Mossman and sabasgr68 like this.
  9. sabasgr68

Sorry, folks, time has not been on my side today to sit and comment.

It´s almost 3 am as I´m writing this, need to go to sleep.

Tomorrow will get to you.

10. sabasgr68

Master class in two paragraphs...

If I understood well, would it be better then to have a coil split on both? Loosing half of the output doesn´t sound good to me.

I believe that what I need is to find another switch and look for the diagram one vol one tone two switches.

Thanks for the offering, Ed. As @jtcnj said, regular mail is not that reliable.

Mossman likes this.
  11. sabasgr68

Thanks for the info. This is not that simple, I see.

12. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

^ Great advice already.

Note the first pic you show and the related concept, will require (2) DPDT switches. So the idea of replacing your neck tone pot with a DPDT, would be one hole short.

You could replace the neck tone pot with (1) DPDT and make the bridge tone pot a 'master' as pictured in the first diagram. The you could wire the DPDT to split both pickups (versus parallel). This will result in hum cancelling in the middle position and single coil in the other two switch selector positions.

How to do that:
    - On one side of the DPDT (three tabs in a row) , solder the (2) bridge 'finish' leads to the middle tab and the lower tab, solder to ground.
    - On the other side of the DPDT, solder the (2) neck 'finish' leads to the middle tab. Solder the 'hot' from the volume pot to the lower tab and jumper it to the 'north start' also.

13. sabasgr68

Thanks, Andrew. Seems I can learn a lot with this.

Have to chew all this.

andrewsrea likes this.
  14. Mossman

Yeah, the output will drop, but you can compensate for that. That's why I recommended the series option for split coil. Or, you could use an EQ pedal for a boost... Or you could just turn your amp up. :) @andrewsrea's suggestion is a good one... I was going to suggest going with a master volume/master tone arrangement (since I'm a Tele guy). I think having individual tone and volume control for each pickup is unnecessary, and over-complicated. Sometimes I take the neck pickup tone pot right out of the circuit on guitars with 2V/2T, and just have a tone control for the bridge pickup. I just never use it.

sabasgr68 likes this.
  15. Mossman

Right, right... I think I read/responded to your post too hastily (I was at work, and my break was over :) ).

sabasgr68 likes this.
  16. sabasgr68

All good recommendations, turning the amp up specially! I´ve been thinking on that 1v1t option from a while, for the same reasons (maybe I´m a Tele-guy wannabe after all?:))

Have lots to chew...

Mossman likes this.
  17. Mossman

I just don't think having two volume and two tone controls offers any meaningful tone-sculpting possibilities. Rolling back one or the other pickup when in the middle position doesn't sound that much different to me (though I haven't tried "'50s wiring" yet. That's a whole other deal).

I suppose if you wanted to roll some treble/volume off the bridge pickup while leaving the neck pickup unaffected, it might come in handy, but if I have a bridge pickup that sounds too ice-picky bright, I usually replace it, and I take pains to make sure the pickups are balanced in terms of output.

In your situation where you can't just casually acquire replacement pickups, you might want to consider that... If you think your bridge pickup is too bright, that is. I don't even know how you feel about it. :)

sabasgr68 likes this.