Had Forgotten Just How Nice My Al 2000 Is

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by howardlo65, Oct 1, 2018.

1. howardlo65

howardlo65 Well-Known Member

I replaced the pots in my spalted TSB AL2000 to CTS pots a few months ago. Fine initially, but then developed a hum. Checked grounds and reflowed a few that looked like they could be the culprit. Still had hum. Put it away and got busy with other guitars for a while, so it stayed in the case. Got it out again a few days ago, determined to get it straightened out.

Again checked the grounds, all seemed fine. Removed the jack, connections looked fine. I did notice that the lugs on the jack seemed to be touching the inside of the hole when I pulled it out. There is some of the shielding paint inside that hole. Bent the lugs a bit so they didn't touch the inside of the hole. Plugged it in and the hum was gone. To be on the safe side I did wrap electrical tape around the jack before screwing it back in place.

Is it really possible that could have been the cause of the hum? Been playing for over 60 years and never encountered this before.

Anyway, since then I have been playing it a lot and am again really impressed with this guitar. I did put a set of Giovanni GVH-1's in it a couple years ago. Just plays, feels, and sounds great. I have a hard time trying to figure how the upper model ALs could have been much better and what there was to be gained. I know they have ebony fretboards, but I am fine with the rosewood. More bling (binding on the headstock) isn't a big deal to me. I prefer the plainer look. I change pickups in nearly all my guitars, so what else would there be to be gained?

Considering I bought this new from Rondo on sale for $179 (not a b-stock) it seems like the best deal I ever got on on new really nice guitar. My only regret is that I didn't buy at least one more before they beccame discontinued.

2. tomringg

tomringg Well-Known Member

Interesting fix.

We would love pictures of the guitar!

Partscaster likes this.
  3. howardlo65

howardlo65 Well-Known Member

4. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

5. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

I'm with you Howard, everytime I play my 2006 AL-2000 T.E. (I bought used for $175 with a HSC, upgraded electronics, push/pull pots and SD JB's in it)
    I get kinda star struck that such a solid/playable guitar can be had for such little $$$....

Too bad this model was discontinued as it was probably Agile's best bang for the buck git for many years running

AL2000-3.png

tonray, Tsukiyomi, adad and 9 others like this.
  6. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

Back when you could still get AL3k's at Guitar center for sane prices of a USED guitar (50% of new or better) I picked up a AL3k. I had a 2500 at the time and was blown away by the 3k.

They had features that rival guitars costing in the 4 figures. They had nice touches like had dressed frets and most had impeccable attention to detail.

The AL2k while a nice guitar was more like an Epiphone beater than a Gibson contender.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jtcnj, Mr. Leyvatone and sabasgr68 like this.
  7. Milkman

Milkman Well-Known Member

I’ve got an AL-3200, and I think all I got that you don’t is bling... and weight.

Neck thru looks cool, but I don’t know of it adds anything. Sculpted neck/body joint looks cool, but does it really make a difference in upper feet access? I don’t know, feels about the same as my Les Paul to me.

All-in-all, maybe I shoulda bought 3 Al-2000s!

tvvoodoo, MichaelR and tobijohn like this.
  8. Mr. Leyvatone

Mr. Leyvatone Well-Known Member

I have one 2k and two 3ks. You're spot on IMO.

9. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    I only have the 2000 - pulled the trigger when the news got out it would be discontinued.
    I recently re-discovered how much I like mine as well.

It was my first LP and was somewhat put off by the weight. I dont have a scale but it is heavy and my back knows it. Also, the leg cut out is too far forward and I cant get truly comfortable sitting.
    I cannot do the left leg thing either.

I too got a set of GVH-1 for it, but tried an A2 magnet swap in the stock pickups and like them enough that they stayed so far. The GVH-1 ended up in a Ubuyguitars AXL LP husk build that came out really well.

So, it didnt get a LOT of play until recently I considered selling it, and decided to play it some with the specific goal: If I dont love it, it will be sold.

So long as my back feels ok before I pick it up, I love it.

I have often wondered how much the differences actually make a difference and have almost jumped on a 3xxx at various times. I could even do the baloneys.

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  10. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

I've owned several 2000's and would agree that they are very likely one of the best "bang for your buck" guitars out there. It's kind of the guitar that made Rondo famous during that era too. My only issue, and it was a small one, was the narrow 1 5/8" nut. For not much more, i personally feel the 3xxx is an even better deal for the $$$, especially with the ebony board, upgraded electronics/hardware and 1 11/16" nut. But either way they are both fantastic guitars for the money, and in the heyday were the go-to LP copy out there for sure.

There were a small number of wide neck 2000's made ( 1 3/4 nut ) and I would grab one if i had the chance and the price is right. I actually purchased what was supposed to be a 2Kwide on Ebay, but it was a seller listing error and ended up being a standard neck.

11. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Yup. My 2500 plays as well and looks as good as my 3001, basically. I like the pups alot too. The 2500 went up onstage with me 3 days after I got it and it performed flawlessly.

jtcnj and howardlo65 like this.
  12. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

13. Keelbolts

Keelbolts Member

I feel the same way about my 2500. It was my first Agile. Bought it in 2005 for $150 as I recall. I later purchased a couple of 3000s, a black one with humbuckers and a gold top with P90s. They were worth the additional dollars, but in almost every way, that old 2500 holds its own with anything I have. The one guitar, out of about the dozen that I own, that plays better than my 2500 is worth about $50k more so you can't hold it against the Agile.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  14. jam

jam Well-Known Member

You know that you just can't make a statement like that and not have pictures to go with it.
    I suspect you'll need 40% more than the normal number of pics too...

idiotsdelight and tvvoodoo like this.
  15. jgauker

jgauker Member

I wish I had bought a 2000. I had a 2500 that must have been one of the heaviest. It was just a couple ounces under 12 lbs. The pickups were really dark. The guitar played really well and sounded great once I swapped the pups for a set of Schallers that I had taken out of my Heritage that were too bright for that guitar. The Schallers were a perfect match. It did need a tuner upgrade. I sold it for the same I paid for it. I am really interested in a 3010 or a 3200 just because I love some of the new colors and finishes.

16. MicahC

MicahC Well-Known Member

Totally agree on the leg cut being too far forward..wants to dive sitting.....and the weight of this guitar can kill my back!

17. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I regret not buying one when they were banging them out one Christmas for about $189.

18. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

Erm...I have a recent AL-3200 and a couple of AL2000Fs.
    My AL-3200 weighs 8 lbs 15 ounces. The AL2000s are more than that.
    Neckthrough is definitely stronger; I don't make any pronouncements about tone, but I think there are differences. Sculpted neck/body join absolutely makes a difference in upper fret access, and I have 80's guitars that started me down that road (AR-300, Yamaha SG2000, Carvins, Moonstones). In fact, the AL-2000 F comes with a 24-fret neck with a "tilted" neck/body join that works almost as well as my Axcess. If you've never pounded the 90 degree body point of a traditional LP into the palm of your hand while working with the upper frets, perhaps you don't notice.