Hardluck Kings. Anyone Know Of These?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by wrightme, Apr 21, 2015.

1. wrightme

wrightme Active Member

2. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Looks pretty sweet....I think I have heard them mentioned here before. Maybe try a search

3. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

4. wrightme

wrightme Active Member

Er, well now, guess I coulda done that. :grin:

In my defense poor though it may be, I am not used to the search function and layout here yet.
    Yep, that is what it was. :)

peskypesky likes this.
  5. staticdisaster

staticdisaster Active Member

I got one.. the LP copy .. with a case.

They say they setup the guitars before they ship them ...... which is a complete joke cause the strings on the one I got were about 2 inches FROM the fret board :LOL:

There is also one bad, low fret, the 12th one... also the guitar still produces sound even with the pickup volume knob down to zero ... unless I put both the pickups' knobs down to zero does it actually turn off :laughing:

I got one with the knowledge that for the price I got it was going to have to pay an expert to have it setup and fix things.

I will give it this... the pickups on the one I got sound *SO* good .. I'm talking S.D. quality, here. Hence the reason I'm keeping it.

6. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member

I have a FB copy coming in from them on friday. I'll post an unboxing review this weekend.

I couldnt buy a firebird KIT for $209 (they went back up to 239 today). Now their shipping seems high ($40) but when I ship by fedex ground thats what it cost me.

I'm hoping its good, but I have some upgrades planned already.

I have been building one (for 2 years), and Im now on my 3rd total refin, so it MAY be a while, thats why i bought this one. that plus the price

7. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Well-Known Member

ARRRRRRRGHHHH :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

This one would be beyond amazing and straight up classy as f**k BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they had to put those trashy UTTER AND COMPLETE DOGSH*T inlays UGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

1c4d21840d690ba8ed9269ee23068478.jpg
    We really need a better assortment of anger and hatred themed emoticons :LOL:

Razzle, Mojo Man and PsychoCid like this.
  8. wrightme

wrightme Active Member

Dang, they have some dirt cheap on tele and lp copies right now.

9. kirobhan

kirobhan Well-Known Member Supporting Member

No sh!t. Amazon warehouse had this one in white a couple weeks back for a good price but I couldn't get past the inlays. I was thinking of covering them up with inlay stickers but wasn't sure if they would cover the legs completely.

Mojo Man and JiveTurkey like this.
  10. JiveTurkey

Seriously; this guitar had me watching YouTube videos on removing fretboards :LOL:

tobijohn, Mojo Man and PsychoCid like this.
  11. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Firebirds and explorers and Vs, oh my!

JiveTurkey likes this.
  12. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

This was interesting. Sort of a bass ver of the moderne
    95fcdcdf9a29f0bb4e7de62b134b43ad.jpg

Funny how he charges and extra $100 to almost $200 for good pickups

13. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

There's a HLK tele copy on CL I just looked at. Yeah, those inlays...

14. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

I thought the same about the Firebird inlays. Email them and see if they can do a run with something better :)

Mojo Man likes this.
  15. JiveTurkey

Already did 5 seconds after my original post :lol They said they aren't doing custom orders now. May be a possibility in the future according to their rep.

16. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Really, is it that bad? Does everything have to be plain jane. I remember how many people freaked out about the 2014 gibson 12 fret anniversary logo. I thought it was a great little added bonus. (The LP100th scribble not so much)
    Can't we enjoy the quirky little differences these bargain guitars bring us. Is it so terrible if these clones move just ever so slightly out of the mainstream Gibson /fender continuum?
    For an $800 fender I want dots but for a $200 copy hell yea bring on the spiders.
    In 20 years which will be worth more a dotted squier or a spider? In the mean time your the crazy guy at the blues jam with spiders on his guitar. Of course if someone else does it first they , you're just the guy copying the guy with spiders on his guitar. :)

If I didnt just get my washburn firebird with ebony fb and minihums the spider would be under serious consideration.

Jaymo likes this.
  17. JiveTurkey

I get what you're saying, I really do. That being said, those inlays completely ruin an otherwise classy looking guitar.

Trying to find a firebird (clone or not) with a specific look is next to impossible, let alone at a good price point. I guarantee if you removed the bro-rock, nu-metal leftover aesthetics from these guitars you would have another wave of Harley Benton level sales. The logo is bad enough but the spiders? Hell no :ROFLMAO:

Mojo Man likes this.
  18. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

The compromise on mine is the upper shoulder cutout. Keeps it from being a perfect firebird clone but its still good looking and a bit distictive. But the other compromise was $1500 less and squeally pups.

How about if you were to pick the inlay parts out and put in a dark matching epoxy or something. It would make the inlay nearly invisible. Maybe with some dark stain on the whole board. Would that work for you?
    I know its all a personal decision. I probably would pass if it was a Wham or Lady Gaga sig edition.
    Although, my firebird is actually a Paul Stanley sig edition and if that wasn't enough to send me packing then I don't know. :)

JiveTurkey likes this.
  19. JiveTurkey

Funny you mention PS. I am not a Kiss fan in the slightest but I was this "" close to pulling the trigger on the PS sig V. I didn't dig the headstock on it though. Apparently I am a picky bast*rd :)

20. Mojo Man

Mojo Man Member

Yup--I hate the spider inlays too but... dang those do look nice for the price. And it is called "The Spider" so there's that too. The "Southern Belle" Tele clone has Southern cross markers on it .....again symbolic for the model name but it can be a deal breaker for some people on several levels. Hard Luck Kings is targeting a niche market with their aesthetics...no big whoop really.

I would try and get some block marker stickers off ebay and see how that worked. Or learn how to do inlay!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    JiveTurkey likes this.