Harley Benton Lovers- Seen This? "worst Guitar Ever"

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by harold h, Oct 26, 2016.

1. harold h

harold h Well-Known Member

Have any of you seen this video? This guy says his nice looking Benton is
    pretty much the worst guitar ever.

I thought they were decent?

2. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Right up front, I'm no Thomann/Benton fanboy. Sure, I've bought a half dozen of them, not all perfect, and I've had my beefs with Thomann.

I feel bad for this guy because I think he got unlucky with one of the bad ones. He really should have sent this guitar back instead of putting $500 dollars into it. Dumping that kind of dough into the thing is a tacit admission that there's something he likes about it.

Not by the wildest stretch of the imagination is the Benton LP copy the worst guitar ever made. I don't own the actual model depicted in this video, so I'm speaking about my L-450 Plus and L-550 Paradise here. While the Bentons are admittedly not at the level of a Gibson Les Paul (it's not even fair to make the comparison), they are not complete pieces of garbage as depicted in this video. I have played far worse guitars than the Benton LP copies.

I think maybe his expectations were way out of whack with the reality of what the guitar is. Regardless of stated specs, an experienced purchaser knows what to expect with budget import instruments: You take the good with the bad, expect them to need some upgrades, be decent mod platforms, and so on.

He's absolutely correct about the inferiority of some of the hardware as compared to Gibson, like the bridge, tailpiece, tuners. Can't argue against that. For the record, I didn't replace mine. It's not the best, not the worst, but usable.

Not only did I leave the original Wilkinson humbuckers in my Benton L-450 Plus, but I bought a used pair and replaced the G&B pickups in my Agile AL-3101M with them.

I believe the top on mine is a 1/16th" wood veneer, not a photo. There's depth and 3-dimensionality to it. If it's a photo then it's holographic. I've seen guitars that I know to be photo tops and they look much worse than the Benton.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  3. toomanycats

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    fullonshred likes this.

4. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

Like they say, opinions are like A-holes - everyone's got one. And YouTube allows you to share them with the world. From the little bit I watched I mostly see a cranky old man with too much time on his hands.

tobijohn and Mickey like this.
  5. tomringg

tomringg Well-Known Member

What a douche!

Interesting that comments are disabled on his video...

Stig likes this.
  6. bc rich

bc rich Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have tried to watch a few of his videos but he just goes on & on & on & on& on

7. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, a guitar's quality really comes down to only one thing: how much the person who built it cared.

You can replace crap tuners, dull pickups, etc...but the core has to be solid.

I've had SX guitars with better fretwork than Gibsons. All it means is the person working on the SX cared more than the person working on the Gibson.

I have plenty of pricey guitars but I enjoy my cheapies too because often a sub-$100 axe can really blow you away.

Seems like this dude got a turd, decided to polish it to the max, and just ended up with a shiny turd. It happens!

Believer, fullonshred, STACKS and 2 others like this.
  8. toomanycats

Agree 100%. You could put the quote above as the epitaph on my tombstone and I'd be cool with it.

tomringg likes this.
  9. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

My experience with HB guitars has been mixed. My first was the LTD EC1000 copy that was a turd. Sold it for what I paid because I got it when the euro was weak plus I got €25 back for shipping damage. Decided to give the 450+ a try, and was very happy with the guitar. It is one of my top 3 most played.

My MS60 is a mixed bag. Really terrible hardware, but nice feeling neck and good pickups. I swapped the bridge out for a Jazzmaster one which I like better.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

10. ECruz

ECruz Well-Known Member

They weren't before, must be something recent because i had a lengthy exchange with Tony when the video popped up earlier this year.
    Everyone was ripping him a new one by unjustly comparing a 100 whatever euro guitar to one of his Gibsons. The thing I and others kept telling him but he would always deflect, is that as long as a guitar in that price range is built solidly (meaning quality wood, proper set neck/construction, etc) that the guitar is the perfect platform to upgrade into something great, he was pretty much dismissive from the start, the sum of all the parts etc etc, his point was that regardless of price point that a guitar should be playable, which it was, but then would rag about the cheap parts, so i was like so what is it then? It went like that for a while and we each kept going in circles.
    The one thing that was inexcusable was the badly seated bridge stud, for that he should have returned it and gotten a replacement, but to him he was just showing "the kind of quality you can expect" from a far east guitar, for which he also got a ton of flak.
    If his original intent was to upgrade it and make into something more, he should have gone with the 550 (if he was going to invest in high quality parts) and not the 450, or you know, actually gone through with it, regardless there was no changing his mind.

fullonshred and bc rich like this.
  11. ECruz

ECruz Well-Known Member

he definitely rambles, but he does have a few vids I like, like the one where he built a nice looking blue strat. But yeah, its like he goes too "in-depth" with his reviews to the point where it becomes a chore to finish watching the vids

12. ECruz

ECruz Well-Known Member

Yeah im not sure what his expectations were. He probably heard "so many great things" about the HBs that he thought we stumbled upon some goldmine and were getting Gibsons for a fraction of the price. But again he was basing his judgement on a guitar that was a dud and refused to send back and get a proper A stock to make the review.

toomanycats likes this.
  13. SalteeDog

SalteeDog Well-Known Member

Just clickbait - a youtube hoor. Didn't he end up sawing the guitar in two? A crackpot really.

Axess2084 likes this.
  14. Whittlez

Whittlez Well-Known Member

Glassdoor.com ranks Gibson (based on employee reviews) as the 5th worst company in America to work for

If there ever is a reason why quality control from them is so inconsistent consider that so many of their employees are disgruntled . unhappy employees especially when they are feeling pissed off and unappreciated as is the case with so many Gibson employees are not going to employ a lot of diligence in their work

nomadh likes this.
  15. notme

notme Well-Known Member

I agree with the points made above, its a bit of a stretch calling it the worst. I tried out an LPJ that would give this HB a run for its money in the turd department.

16. toomanycats

Holy shit, I thought you were joking! This takes Harley Benton hating to an entirely new level!

Saltee, is he Irish too? I'm a Mc myself and know from personal experience that there's a crazy streak in our blood.

cut (1).jpg

bc rich likes this.
  17. SalteeDog

SalteeDog Well-Known Member

Good view of the maple cap there too!

18. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

This guy really does have first world problems doesn't he?

Axess2084, kungphugrip and wanker like this.
  19. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

I think he's related to Scott Grove. Clicking on his vids feeds his ego most likely so i'm going to refrain. Just send back the f**king guitar and get a new one if you get a dud. Every brand has bad ones now and then.

20. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

Probably true, but if you don't like your job go and get another one. I'm a firm believer in standing behind the quality of your work, and even if a company is being crappy and unfair the people that you're causing an issue for are innocent customers receiving messed up instruments. Can't say I agree with that mentality at all.

nomadh, fullonshred, bc rich and 2 others like this.