Help Internet Speed Issues

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by solteroblues, Jul 12, 2019.

1. solteroblues

solteroblues Well-Known Member

So I subscribe to AT&T (First mistake, I know, but its my only option at my new house), and I have a 1 Gbps speed... Using speedtest.net or the app, if I'm wired directly to the modem on my PC, I can get up to 950 Mbps, up to about 400 wirelessly. on my phone (Iphone 7 BTW), I can usually get anywhere from 200 Mbps to 380 Mbps depending how close I am to it. All of this is way faster than my old service at my old house. I have the AT&T all in one modem/wireless router, and I think it only puts out a 5 Mhz signal.

My problem is that when I'm on my phone, I can click on a website or type in an address, and it will sit there and spin forever (30 seconds to over a minute) before anything loads. Sometimes, it won't load at all. my smart tv is 3 feet from the modem/router, and many times, I have to shut it down and reboot multiple times to get it to connect at all. I don't seem to have any issues on my laptop, though. What could be causing this? is this just buffering or is something else going on?

2. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

Well if you're having TV and phone problems, then most likely it's the AT&T modem. You didn't say what KIND of AT&T, cable, DSL, fiber (probably at 1Gbps).

I've never been a fan of AT&T products. Their DSL was abysmal (but then all DSL is) but their fiber should be perfect.

You should be getting better than 400 on wifi. I'd say it's the wifi router. I got a netgear R7000 to replace my airport extreme (which used to be da kine but apple abandoned them last year), they're cheap, I'd get that and jettison the AT&T.

3. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Welcome to the club. AT&T is my only option here, unless I want to use dial-up. :(
    They seem to have a LOT of DNS troubles.

fullonshred likes this.

4. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

B,G,N,AC? What does the phone support? Wireless is never going to be as fast as a wired connection.

5. solteroblues

I have fiber. the AT&T router is ac and so is the phone. I know wireless won't be as fast, but my pc is twice as fast as the phone... don't know if that is normal or not.

I tried my ASUS router but that didn't seem to help. Since the modem and router are the same box, will it really matter what router I use? can I use a different modem, or does it have to be AT&t's?

6. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Active Member

Run a test using your phone via wifi, then do the same test via mobile data connection. If the problem exists when connecting via wifi and does not exist via mobile data the problem is with cable or equipment supplying internet to the the wifi connection. If all that equipment and cable belongs to AT&T call them and tell them the results of your test and ask them to fix their crappy service/equipment. :flushed:

7. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

I have the same EXACT problem and it's making me crazy. I switched to AT&T 300mbs fiber in February and the DL and UL speeds at the router exceed expectations but on phones and tablets the speed websites load is frustratingly slow. I've contacted AT&T about it multiple times and they don't see a problem. They want to send a tech out but if they determine the problem is anything other than their equipment I'll have to pay for the visit.

@solteroblues how did you try using your own wireless router with their modem/router? I was going to attempt that next.

8. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Plug a AC or N wireless router into one of the back networking jacks. Connect. If speed increase is dramatic, it is the settings on the att wireless part, chances are you are not allowed to get into the setting on any ATT product.

My local and only small cable provider lets you use a modem or modem/router combo from the approved list, doscis 3.0 compliant or something. I went out and bought a Motorola/Arris and use that. I can get into settings to tweak block or allow guest and hundred other settings.

9. solteroblues

@RiverDog I just plugged up my old router to one of the 4 ports in the back of the AT&T modem. To be honest, I was just checking to see which router had the better range when I first moved in. I need to retry that see if it fixes my problem... the problem from that original test was the old router, even though it's capable of 1200 Mbps, my speed dropped to half of what the AT&T modem was giving...

10. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

11. RiverDog

Did you disable the built-in wifi before plugging in a different router? If not, that might be the cause of the slower speed.

12. RiverDog

Mickey likes this.
  13. tonray

They don't give you the password ? Can you replace with your own modem ?

14. RiverDog

They give you the p/w. They just don't let you change the DNS settings.

I don't know if you can use your own modem with fiber but I'll look into it.

15. tonray

You can probably place a modem/router between the Gateway and your network

16. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I choose Charter Spectrum here in Lake St. Louis, Mo. Just tested my speed to Olivette, MO at 118mps download and 8.3mbps upload. To Nashville it was 83 down and 7.8 up. Charter is very far from perfect, but I think they all suck and they are the least suckyiest.

JAMES SCHAFFNER likes this.
  17. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Sometimes all it takes is calling the provider and asking them to ping your router to re-establish connection. I had to do this for the first time in over two years since we moved.

Before we moved, I had to do this once a week. We were using the provider's equipment. When we moved, I decided to buy a quality router and modem. Result: far faster speeds, and much better reliability. I also don't pay "rent" on their equipment. The gear I bought was equal in price to a really nice midrange guitar, but I surf the waves of the intarwebz with ease.

Only one issue in two years. We rely very heavily on internet in my house with it supplying all screen based entertainment as well as two home based businesses.

andrewsrea likes this.
  18. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Your wireless PC speeds are great.

With my phone I find 5mhz connection so unreliable sitting 10 feet from the wireless router that I set my phone to accept 2.4mhz connections only. Works much more reliably now, but will still switch over to cell connection at times, again, with me sitting 10 feet straight line view from the wireless router.

19. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Active Member

Wired ISPs should be shaking in their boots over 5G cellular data to the home. Verizon is offering a home internet connection via 5G (called 5G Home) already in select markets. When it's available in my location I'll dump my current cable/home ISP in a heartbeat. My cable ISP is slow (just tested...45mbps down / 2mbps up) and spotty...regularly going down. I'll gladly give my business to Verizon 5G Home when it's available. Should be much faster and more reliable (judging on the reliability of my phone's mobile data connection over the past couple years).

20. tonray

Except wireless carriers in most cases are the same players. And to top that off it is highly unlikely they would offer true unlimited internet to limit their hard wired business.

Mickey likes this.