Here We Go Again.. Florence, Threat To Carolinas

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Poodlesrule, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

Well, someone had to start so I volunteered!

Amusing: I was on a local (Carolinas) TV website, reading the prep reminders, and one of them was, get a REAL MAP!

For real: I took my Garmin off my truck the other day, as I need to update the internal maps, and I felt like I was driving "naked" -- on familiar roads!
    Weird.

Next time, try to find an obscure business address, in an unfamiliar part of town without the help of a machine. That skill is dying...

despiadado likes this.
  2. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Ya, my sister was staying for the month, but came home today. She says two more are supposedly coming on the heels of this one so her month at the beach may turn out to be about 10 days total. we'll see.

3. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

Looks like the worst of it is going north of me. Good for me but really bad for those hit more directly.:worried: I have always believed in paper maps. Keep a Rand Mc nally atlas handy and get smaller state/local maps as needed.

4. cottonmike

cottonmike Well-Known Member

You got to stop and axt. You know, like our wives used to tell us?

They're always right. Makes me want to puke.

fullonshred likes this.
  5. BrianSkeezer

BrianSkeezer Well-Known Member

Getting ready here also. Supposed to be here by late Thursday night into Friday. Looks like I'll be working through it, probably on 12 hour shifts overnight. I'm what they all "essential personnel" working for the county that I live in. We've already had flooding here with all of the rain the past 2 weeks. It'll be what it'll be.

6. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

the governor of VA released a statement today that residents in high risk flood zones (me) should prepare for potential evacuation. the decision is supposed to be made later today..

7. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

Flo is going to be very bad I'm afraid. A slow moving cat 4 hit Charleston in 89. Power, water and sewage out for months almost a year for some. Throw in the saturated grounds over several states and the chance of stalling N.C. could look like Puerto Rico by Monday.

Mickey likes this.
  8. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

2 nights ago. Helping my kid salvage old server equipment at 1 am before the hauling company shows up. We had to drive 2 blocks back to the building we just came from 2 hours before. Because of a tricky rt turn only exit and a pea soup fog and driving a crazy overloaded van, I somehow went past. Took the next block to just loop back but instead that road went under the road I wanted sending me to to an area I didnt know existed. Now driving down and up steep hills with my insanely overloaded and completely unstable load with my kid in back trying to give me directions while holding 1500 lbs of 1u servers steady at the end of his 60 hr workday. Directing me to a place he had only been driven to 3 times and didnt know the address of. Looping back trying to find the road we missed again sending me back across the freeway where it was miles before I could uturn. All in fog so bad I couldn't read the road sign until I crossed the street to look at it.
    Sometimes even a map and a gps can't help much but God I wished I had looked a bit before of just went back the way my kid said with the 2 left turns that he knew worked :)

9. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

GPS's amuse me. There are two ways to get to my house. The GPS way takes you from the highway over 4 or 5 miles of three different dirt roads.
    The non-GPS way you turn off the highway with turn lane, on to a street , then 256 feet and turn onto my street for 1/2 mile.
    I've had a number of calls from hopelessly lost souls who've given up thanks to following the GPS.

nomadh likes this.
  10. BrianSkeezer

BrianSkeezer Well-Known Member

Stay safe down there. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

zisme likes this.
  11. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Hope it is another bad forecast. Pretty common unfortunately!

12. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Few years ago we had to use GPS to go to my kids drumline in lancaster. It misdirected us a few times in the hi desert sometimes pointing to roads that didnt even exist yet. Basically telling us to drive off into the desert. It finally was pointing to a bit of a ridge just offroad. Thinking that we couldnt go that way we could at least look over the ridge, see the school over there and scout the road that exists to get there. So I drive my mini van up the little ridge to look over the valley where there wasn't a single living thing in 20 miles. The stupid gps waving a flag saying Im 2 miles away just over there. OFF THE LITTLE CLIFF!

Finally we headed in the opposite direction party by guessing and partly by a hint in the newsletter and a road sign back 10 miles and partly because we knew it wasnt anywhere we were.
    Finally after 15 min driving we saw some civilization and a sign to it. Thats when a speeding SUV wit ha drunk driving illegal alien in an explorer drove into us at a stop at 50 mph swerving at the last second to clip us, go off road, barely correct from going headlong into a 40 ft long 15 ft deep hole instead climbing the dirt pile next to it, flying off the dirt pile at 12 ft high and landing pretty much next to us as we are still coasting through the intersection that he fortunately only tapped us into.
    About 15 seconds after they land with the whole suspension crushed under the car
    We miss the good ol drum line days with the kids :)

Oh, and good luck you all of you guys in the storm.

fullonshred, BrianSkeezer and Mickey like this.
  13. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

mandatory evacuation for zone A (me) in VA. Prepped the garage and yards for flooding. our house is a few feet off the ground, so i'm not too worried about it. we do have flood insurance..

probably heading to my parents house further inland wed. night

most importantly - i secured my rig from band #1's practice space, which has had water creep in just from heavy rain before. band #2's unit is on the fourth floor of a storage facility - so i'm not worried about that gear

20180910_200840.jpg

14. Gergo

Gergo Well-Known Member

Having gone through Harvey a year ago, I really feel for everyone there. Stay safe, and smart.
    Hope all ends well

fullonshred likes this.
  15. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Evacuation sounds like a good idea for anyone in the path of this monster.
    They are predicting it will make landfall at least a cat 4 storm (should be waaay worse than Harvey.)
    I'd be getting the flock outta Dodge if it was coming here! Better safe than sorry with a storm like this!
    Florence appears to be the strongest one since Katrina to hit the U.S.

needhelp likes this.
  16. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Well for the map part, I love modern GPS systems that can report traffic conditions, suggest alternate routes, point out the police, etc. Even when I know where to to, I'll often use a GPS for the intel it provides. It's saved me time many a time.

17. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

BIL and spouse, outskirts of Myrtle Beach, had a prior reservation meant for a museum visit inland, so they extended his lodging arrangement, away from coast.

I got to think about it, and I see the temptation to stay with your house, your stuff, and the uncertainty about returning.

They say they experienced a Cat 1 once (?) and that was enough to scare them a great deal.

In their case, there is a river, swinging back from coast, and very strong chance of inland flood.

EDIT: Watching this morning's update... a lot of misery coming, danger and suffering.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    needhelp likes this.
  18. kirobhan

kirobhan Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Pre-ordered mojo packaged and shipped for anyone in the way.

For us, looks like we're getting lucky with Olivia now that it's tacking further north and dropped to tropical storm force winds. Maui island might get hit though.

needhelp likes this.
  19. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

The Coastal areas of the Carolina's have a propensity for flooding in the right (or wrong) conditions and if this storm stretches out like they are projecting the impact could be significant.

20. slaveunit

slaveunit Well-Known Member

How far inland do these storms typically affect S. Carolina? When I say affect, I mean do damage to the area.