High End Agile Vs Lower End Gibson?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by ItsMbrown, Oct 14, 2016.

1. ItsMbrown

ItsMbrown Member

Hey guys, was wondering for anyone with experience with both, how the higher end Agile guitars (3100 series) stack up to say a basic Gibson LP studio or faded.

I was planning on grabbing an Agile, but never had a real Gibby LP. I do have a Gibson SG that I really love. On paper the Agiles look great, but that's on paper. Given everything I've heard about the higher end Agile guitars has been excellent, I'd like to hear your guys opinions on higher end Agile lps vs the "lower end" Gibson lps.

Let's say we're in the used market for the Gibson and the prices are within $200 of each other for comparison' sake.

Look forward to your opinions!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  2. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

This has been discussed here ad nauseum just so you are aware.

My opinion is that they are 2 completely different things and the only thing that's "comparable" is that they are both single cut guitars with a similar construction concept. A 3200 is a totally different animal - carved neck heel, neck through, thinner body, poly finish, etc. They might looks similar from the front but beyond that they are not even in the same category in how they feel.

The "standard" construction AL 2500/3100 with a set neck is a nice guitar and a lot closer spec wise to a regular Les Paul. Even then, though, they are different animals.

My personal opinion is that if you were to want a single cut guitar, the GIbson Les Paul Studio Deluxe from 2010-2014 is the best "value" you could buy from any manufacturer at any price. You can find them used for $700-800 with a Gibson hard shell case, and they have a full gloss nitro finish unlike the Tributes. They also have a nice pickup combo ( BB pro/490 R ), coil taps and they come in either a 50's or a 60's neck profile.

If you are just looking for the best LP clone at the lowest COST, An al 3010 se is a great choice - but there are lots and lots of other options out there in that price range.

AxeGlove, Believer, Whittlez and 10 others like this.
  3. ItsMbrown

ItsMbrown Member

Adding a poll too

I figured it had been discussed, but when I searched agile vs gibson (title only) the most recent relevant thread that came up was from 2012. Wasn't sure how, if at all, things changed with Agile from them as a company as far as quality or models offered.

I appreciate your lengthy reply though, and yea I was thinking of the 3100s, I must have typed 3200 because I was looking at them last night lol

I'll edit that

4. Winning

Winning Well-Known Member

I haven't owned an Agile at the same time as I've owned a Gibson but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the AL-3100 I had, it was a great guitar. I had an older 3100 though, not sure how good the new ones are. I'd love an Oceanburst 3100 but some of the tops I've seen lately have been lackluster. With a pickup swap I think you'd be hard pressed to hear a difference between a Studio vs 3100. If you need to have Gibson on the headstock get the Studio, if not the Agile is a real contender.

ItsMbrown likes this.
  5. Mark W

Mark W Well-Known Member

A few years back I had the same choice. My budget was around $500.
    At that time, the only studios I could find within my price point were trashed, broken headstock, etc.
    Through Rondo I could get a new AL-3100mc with hard case and shipping for $503 and some change.
    I chose the agile in tiger eye and don't regret it one bit. Ymmv

DonM, Duffy, despiadado and 1 other person like this.
  6. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

In my experience, the higher end Agiles are on par with low end Gibson. The main advantage is the Gibson has better stock pickups, but that's no big deal. I had a Gibson LP Studio and a Gibson 60s tribute Goldtop and my Agile was better than both of them once I swapped the pickups to Dimarzios or Bareknuckles.

The fact that you can get an AL3000 or AL3100 for around $250 these days makes it a no-brainer for me over spending at least $600 used on a Gibson.

7. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL Gibson makes the best value LPs

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

8. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

I think you are better off comparing an Epiphone to an Agile to be honest. With the Gibson you are paying a premium for labor, materials, and the trademark on the headstock that may or may not be worth it, depending upon your views. The fact you are looking at Agile as an option leads me to believe that premium may not be worth it.

I have an LPJ and own and have owned multiple ALs up and down the lineup (2000, 2500, 3000, 3100, 3200). The value of the Agile is incredible.

My LPJ is something different all together. It seems very raw/almost incomplete in comparison, but it is well made and plays great. The LPJ is like my old truck where the Agile is like my VW Golf (sort of soulless in a way). The Golf is a better vehicle, but I prefer to cruise around in my old truck despite its obvious flaws.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Believer, nomadh, Whittlez and 2 others like this.
  9. ItsMbrown

ItsMbrown Member

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate the solid input. I have no brand biased, so it's great to hear everyone's opinions on the agiles. On paper they seem excellent, but I've never owned an agile brand guitar so it's nice to get first hand opinions.

I'm aware. But was asking if they're say 3x as good, given they're often 3x the price (and that's for the cheaper ones)

STACKS likes this.
  10. ItsMbrown

ItsMbrown Member

I hear ya. I really liked an epiphone plus top pro (in honeyburst) that I was playing at Guitar center. Again, I have no experience with an Agile to compare it to, but it played really nice and felt good in the hand. I don't care about the headstock, I already have a Gibson to fill that niche ;), more curious just about everyone's experiences on the subject. It's fun to hear the different opinions

11. STACKS

STACKS Well-Known Member

The Gibson is 40% better.........:)

12. ItsMbrown

ItsMbrown Member

haha arse! You know what I meant :p

STACKS likes this.
  13. STACKS

STACKS Well-Known Member

Ha! great value on the Agile's though, I've been happy with mine. Used, you should be able to score a really good deal too. A local shop recently had a 3200 for $285 for example.

ItsMbrown likes this.
  14. ItsMbrown

ItsMbrown Member

I saw a 3100 for $256 plus shipping online today, but wasn't feeling the color (black)

Really wanting a honeyburst

STACKS likes this.
  15. dtc24

dtc24 Active Member

I don't know if my experience will help or not, seeing as I haven't touched an agile yet.

I have had one gibson lp studio in the past that I got from some guy that doesn't know how to take care of guitars. It was a alpine white with gold hardware that had a few paint chips here and there and a bent tuner, but those don't affect playability.
    I was excited until I got it home and plugged it in. It sounded alright, but played like shite. The flat top was uncomfortable for me to play sitting down and it "felt" like a $200 low-end epi.
    Plus, in my opinion, I think most of the finishes that the studios come in are ugly,
    so I'll be reaching for an Agile.

nomadh and ItsMbrown like this.
  16. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

I think the best value out of all the Agile LP's was the AL-2000. For around $200, this guitar in it's heyday could not be beat. Was designed very similar to a Gibson Standard. But they are heavy.

17. jzero

jzero Well-Known Member

I purchased a new Al-2500 years ago. It is a stunning instrument all around. My only issue is the weight is heavy enough that I'd rather pick up my SG for a 4hr band practice. I paid 225 at the time and years later I consider it a steal for the quality to cost ratio. I'll likely never pay Gibson prices.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

ItsMbrown likes this.
  18. doc-knapp

doc-knapp Well-Known Member

I've owned plenty of Agiles and Gibsons. I used to fall for the claim that there's nothing like a Gibson. It's a load of BS. After owning and playing so many guitars, you come to realize it's more about the pickups and the set-up than the name on the guitar. You can purchase a used 3100M or 3200 for anywhere from $250-400 dollars and put any specific brand of pickups that appeal to you, and you've got an amazing guitar for under $600. I would recommend if you're looking at the $600 price range to take a hard look at Japanese LP's like Edwards and Tokai. The best guitar in my collection isn't an Agile or Gibson. It's an Edwards.

nomadh, mesamagic, Tsukiyomi and 2 others like this.
  19. Moogster66

Moogster66 Well-Known Member

IMO the best guitar for the buck is a 3200. Neck trough body w/ contoured heel and belly cut. Ebony fret board with real MOP inlays. Graphite nut and string saddles. All standard.

Add you favorite flavor of pups and you have a guitar for around $700 that Gibby would sell for $4000-$5000. I have one w/ a Duncan Pearly Gates set and it plays and sounds like BUTTA!
    e4789cc522cd733a45005bd92a2bc7dd.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    doc-knapp, Chocol8, Mark W and 5 others like this.
  20. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Here's a shootout between two Agile AL-3XXX, a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul, a Harley Benton L-450 Plus, and a Charvel DS1 Pro Stock.

http://www.aguitarforum.com/threads...enton-vs-agile-x2-vs-gibson-vs-charvel.85092/

Listen for yourself and decide how the Gibson sounds compared to the Agiles.

nomadh, doc-knapp and ItsMbrown like this.