I Could Get Rid Of All My Guitars Except 3...

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by supersoldier71, Feb 8, 2018.

1. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Well-Known Member

...and be happy.

Perhaps happier!

I'd keep my Gibson, my PRS SE and either the Charvel or the Tele. Fact is, I could probably get down to just the Gibson and the Custom 24 Floyd, an acoustic and maybe a bass and I'd have more space in my music room.

For amps.

manco53, despiadado, Mossman and 3 others like this.
  2. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Funny you should say that. I just woke up this morning thinking I could get down to about a hundred and still be OK, seriously. I'm not sure about happier but I'm pretty sure I'd feel a sense of relief. Now I just have to figure out which six dozen to sell...

3. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

Happiness in Life is definitely about balance of ratios. 1 guitar....to 1 amp. :p

midnightblu likes this.

4. supersoldier71

I've been thinking in terms of the sounds I get out of each of them while trying to sever my reasoning from any sentimental attachment. Which is not entirely possible, but I'll explain that in a sec.

The stuff that I'm DEFINITELY keeping:
    1. Gibson Les Paul Faded Special - wife bought me a real Gibson when I'd been playing for about six months. It was in the HSC in the bedroom when I got home from Airborne School, so it was both a birthday present and an I-survived-Airborne-School-at-37-years-old gift. That it's a great guitar is secondary to how I came to own it.

2. PRS SE Custom 24 - My I-was-wrong-about-PRS-guitars guitar. I was wrong, PRS makes great guitars both domestically and overseas, and it's my Number One. If I don't know what I'll have to play, I grab this one. Also, I can play it at a wedding, corporate party or in church, and it looks "right".

Stuff that I can part with:
    1. Kramer Striker 211 Custom - Doesn't do anything that the my PRS or Charvel don't do better. Could become a GREAT guitar with some work and investment, but not really up to that.

2. Epiphone Wildkat - Makes sounds that other guitars don't make, but it's just flat harder to play. And I HATE changing the strings on Bigsbys. This was also a gift from the wife, for Christmas about three years ago, so parting with it is harder.

3. Hohner OSC Standard - Donating this to a needy child at my church. Makes cool Tele AND Strat sounds, but I've already got those sounds covered.

4. Squier VM Tele - This was my number one songwriting guitar for about four years, but I prefer floating bridges, and both the Charvel and the PRS can, oddly enough, approximate the sounds I get from this guitar with their coil-split feature.

5. Deluxe Roadhouse Strat - Love the look, like the sounds and it's a Strat, but again, it suffers in comparison to the PRS and the Charvel. I'm not keeping both the Charvel and the Roadhouse, and since I just got the Roadhouse....

6. SX J-bass - It's a bass. I'm not a bass player. When I need to work up a bass line, I use my Whammy or the bass patch in my RP-1000. It is nice to have when bass players come to visit.

7. Ovation Acoustic-Electric - Yeah, it's an Ovation, but pick an acoustic, any acoustic, and I don't like the sounds I make with them, and I don't like playing them.

Which, when I was done would look like this:
    Gibson
    PRS

And one of:
    Squier
    Charvel
    Strat

Tsukiyomi, Mossman and tobijohn like this.
  5. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I'm trying to do this. I'm down from 9 to 6. I think I can realistically get down to 5. 3 is going to be a challenge.

6. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

3? hmm. i guess.... prs se c24, mia strat, seagull concert hall a/e. hey wait, is this a trap, how can i be sure my wife won't read this?

7. howardlo65

howardlo65 Well-Known Member

I have also been thinking about much the same lately. I have, for most of my 60 years of playing, been mainly an acoustic player. I owned zero electrics for about 25 years of that time. Back in the mid 90's bought one electric, a used Peavey T-60 from a friends' music store to use for recording a few of my own songs that could use an electric.

That was the only electric I owned until I retired 10 years ago and began joining guitar forums. Somehow (not surprising) that got me more into electrics and now have 16. Recently I have again realized that most of what I like to play and record requires only one acoustic guitar. I do have 12 acoustics of various body sizes and types, etc. But am now wishing that instead of acquiring so many electrics I had used that money on acoustics.

I could easily get by with just a Tele and a semi-hollow and one of my electric basses as far as electrics go. My main problem is that I don't want to ship guitars and also don't want to deal with CL.

8. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

Coil-split, Shmoil split! (wow, try saying that out loud!)

That'll never really sound like a Tele, and I promise you'll regret it if you ditch the Squier!

('cuz I won't I let you hear the end of it! :ROFLMAO:).

9. supersoldier71

Really, just thinking about it, the methodology is this: if it doesn't get gigged, it gets moved.

Now, the long way 'round that mountain is to invest the time and money in what I currently have to bring them all up to that standard, but I think that even at the end of that, the PRS and the Gibson would be numbers one and two, the third would be a niche player like the Wildkat (which again, gets extra points because it was a gift from my incredible wife), and the rest would collect dust.

Which is what really got me thinking about this in the first place: the ones that get played get regular string changes, every week or two and get wiped down, maybe even polished. The ones that don't collect dust. A lot of dust.

despiadado and jimytheassassin like this.
  10. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

I could get rid of ALL my guitars, but I wouldn't like it at all ;-) I get where you are coming from though.

If I had to pick 3 ( are we playing that game again today? )
    1. LP with Humbuckers
    2. LP with P90's
    3. Acoustic

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    despiadado likes this.
  11. doc-knapp

doc-knapp Well-Known Member

1. My Edwards LP with SD JB/Jazz pickups
    2. My Agile tele with Tonerider pickups
    3. MY Breedlove Concert Pursuit Acoustic.

I could sell off they other 103 guitars, but I'm a hoarder.

peskypesky likes this.
  12. Aullucci

Aullucci Well-Known Member

I only have 3 guitars. So much shame:disrelieved:

13. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I guess if I had to, I'd go with:
    1 Strat (preferably HSS. Humbucker in bridge, with coil-splitting).
    1 Acoustic
    1 Classical

That's pretty much all I had for MANY years...although I also had a Squier Tele. It wasn't until I started reading on guitar forums, and especially AGF, that I started buying a lot more guitars.

14. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

If it were only 3 it would be

1. Les Paul
    2. Semi Hollow
    3. Acoustic

I have more than one of each of these models. I would have to figure out which one to keep. Probably a Goldtop, the Midtown and my Tak.

15. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Now that is a PROBLEM! :cautious::sneaky::smiley:

16. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

I went through this process about a year or so ago. I now play one nice Tele into one nice head feeding one nice cab and I am good with that. I do have a Squier Affinity Tele, a Mustang II amp and a Peavey Valveking II microhead I’d love to get rid of but I’m not sure I’d end up with much. Shipping is a killer...

I spend more time focusing on my playing now - and to be fair I don’t gig out so...

despiadado and SKYDAWG like this.
  17. pirate19

pirate19 Well-Known Member

God, I would LOVE to do this, but I don't think I could get down to 3. I could MAYBE do 5:

Keepers:
    1). AL2k Tobacco ("Page") my wife got me for Christmas (she got me the Agile, I got her an engagement ring....)
    2). TC 730 I just got--beautiful flame, plays great, always wanted a thinline Tele
    3). 2K GT Hum
    4). 2K GT P90/AD 2200 Old Headstock (not sure which one...)
    5). VN6 Korean Squier Strat

That would cover a lot of bases. My two Dauntless are great players, but I could live without them with the 5 above. The STL50 is my 5-string Open-G "Keef" guitar, but I could let that go. The Squier Hello Kitty is nice and would be hard to let go, but if someone offered something like $250+, I'd be tempted.

The real problems would be my 3100 Silverburst, TC 625, and the 2K P90/AD 2200. Always wanted an old headstock Agile and to have it be a TVY "LP Special" kinda makes it a "holy grail" in terms of Agiles, but that GTP90 is such a great player that I don't think I could let it go. I could get it down to those 8 easily, but 5 would involve tough choices.

18. kungphugrip

kungphugrip Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The thought of having only three guitars is horrifying!
    I would not be happy.

If I was forced,
    1)My white Vader, it is perfect and every time I pick it up
    I feel that guitars just don't get any better.....until I pick up the blue Vader lol
    The HH Lithium configuration kicks ass! Its a very twangy guitar and I like this!

2)blue Vader! Lightning strikes twice, perfection again but it feels slightly sweeter than the white Vader because of the unfinished neck, sounds slightly better because its HSS!
    and its more fun to play because of the wammy stick!

3)gotta have one Paul! And I'm keeping my red faded 2012!
    Its a unique guitar in that its fully chambered, has a maple fret board
    And burstbucker pros my favorite Gibby pick ups

NoStratsPlease and despiadado like this.
  19. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

^ probably hangs out at weight watchers meetings asking "Why you guys so fat" :)

20. Aullucci

Aullucci Well-Known Member

Believe me, the reality of having only 3 guitars is worse than you could imagine.

More like ‘hangs out outside weight watchers meetings offering to hold everyone’s M&Ms while they’re weighing in.’

Seriously, tho, we’ve got a pretty obvious solution staring us in the face. Y’all have too many guitars, I have too few. Just give me yours and everyone will be satisfied.