I Think My Smart Phone Has Me Under Surveillance...

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by andrewsrea, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

It should not be too hard to find old-timers from the German Stasi era and invite them to tell the Orwellian lives they endured.
    Now internet tech is doing the grunt work.

andrewsrea and Mickey like this.
  2. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Member

To me ads seem unavoidable. They are everywhere outside of our phones...in newspapers, on billboards, on buses, on trains, on tv, embedded in movies, on buildings, on cars, on clothing, written in the sky, flown behind airplanes, etc, etc. It's part of the commerce-driven world we live in. On the plus side it pays for a lot of the 'freebies' we enjoy...youtube is a good example. Before youtube how did you quench your desire to see live concert footage of your favorite bands. You probably bought a few dvds, but you now with ad-driven sites like youtube you have access to so much more for the cost of enduring a 15 second or less ad every once in a while. Pretty good deal in my book. Ideal...no...ideally everything would be completely free and private but the economy might collapse or go back to some bad/old state.

Tradeoffs.

andrewsrea likes this.
  3. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

I don't want to think of you as a shill, so I'm gonna write that post off as 'cute.' Remember, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Are you aware Sergey Brin of Google was previously married to the founder of 23andme?

Do you want advertising based on your genetics/DNA?
    What about advertising certain medications or foods to you based on your DNA?
    How do you feel about eugenics?

The phrase is "one bad apple spoils the bunch" for a reason. It doesn't matter in the slightest if it's .001% corrupt, it corrupts the whole body.

Pick up a history book some time. Heck, pick up a few from different eras and see how they don't match each other. We are living in WW3: the information war.

Wake up, brother. You are not alone. Facebook tracks your everyday life. Twitter is a geo-locater. SnapChat shows me whether you're sitting or standing, and whether you're in the kitchen or bathroom. These things are not innocent, or unintentional.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    bc rich, Jaymo, jtcnj and 2 others like this.

4. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

2025 Daily News: "local man convicted by testimony of his Analog Delay pedal"

bc rich, Jaymo, RockYoWorld and 3 others like this.
  5. 8livesleft

8livesleft Active Member

This is why the only social media I posted my real info on is LinkedIn.

We also cover the front cameras of our laptops. Hehe

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jtcnj likes this.
  6. Brendan

Brendan Well-Known Member

I use an Apple phone with no Facebook or Google products. I use the DuckDuckGo browser. I posted about something on this site only using my phone and got hit with ads for that product on another site. Ugh

andrewsrea likes this.
  7. tonray

You mean the same LinkedIn owned by Microsoft... Ha ha ha.. Yeah that's safe

andrewsrea likes this.
  8. 8livesleft

8livesleft Active Member

I know I know haha

Guaranteed tho I get more out of it for work/business than freaking facebook

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

andrewsrea and tonray like this.
  9. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

This crap is getting to be too much, thermostats, video doorbells, baby monitors, fridges, adult monitors (Alexa et al), monitors in cars, etc. Hardly any with any type of privacy rules, or easy access to them, really.

And that's only half of it, these often are "open" by design or negligence, to be broken into, ready to be repurposed for attacks right from your living room.

10. tonray

I'm putting my bedroom air conditioner on notice.. No funny business or he's gonna get it.

andrewsrea likes this.
  11. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    The ads and the algorithms that match them to you are what make so many things "free", if I missed someone said that, apologies.

If I could step away from my suspicious, cynical self I would like to believe it is all positive and makes all our lives better.

Even then, if having so much open info floating around that COULD be used against us it eventually WILL be, like @PsychoCid refers to.

But I do believe it is all being formulated now.
    In the US these next 8 or 12 years will either dramatically re-shape the USA by a STRONG push to do so, or they may mostly fail.
    But it is ON.

fullonshred and andrewsrea like this.
  12. BatUtilityBelt

BatUtilityBelt Well-Known Member

At least she was smoking hot (according to the crazy-hot matrix).

13. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

I don't WANT ads, but ads are what pays for many things from radio, TV, newspapers (going away), to websites like this one. If something is free, YOU are the product that is being sold.
    I, personally, see few ads because of my setup, though.

I am fully aware that I am being tracked. We all are. Even if I didn't own a smartphone or have a smart home, I would be tracked. I'm not going to live my life wearing an aluminum foil hat. The majority of the tracking is to sell our data to advertisers and marketing agencies. That really doesn't hurt me at all. If I have to see an ad, I'd rather it be about something I might be interested in (like guitars or technology) than something that isn't like tampons.

I actually work with data, some of it being "big data" and IoT stuff. More and more products will have IoT chips of some sort on them in the next few years. The data that's captured by those are not for tracking individuals unless they Opt-In for a service standpoint. Think about Tesla's and their up-link. If something goes wrong, Tesla can access a lot of data to troubleshoot your issue and get you back on the road ASAP.

I actually have a personal conspiracy theory that the NSA is using services like 23andme to create an unofficial DNA database. Nothing I can do about it, but it won't really affect me unless I decide to take up terrorism or start a rebellion against the government, which I have no desire to do.

Data collection and what you do with it are completely separate. I'm definitely not a supporter of eugenics, but past adopters of it didn't need this technology to kill millions of people, so there's that...

We're already in that Information War. Look at all this stuff with Russia and North Korea (if you count that SONY hacking because of that Seth Rogan movie).

EDIT: Whenever I want to research or buy something I don't want to see ads on, I use Incognito mode on Chrome and use a separate email address. I never see ads for those items on my main account.

andrewsrea likes this.
  14. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Repair times for a Tesla are measured in months.

Jaymo and Mickey like this.
  15. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Not today, maybe never.
    BUT Maybe down the not too far road anything you say that is critical of those in power or goes against their doctrine may be considered inciting acts against the government, ie you could be accused of exactly those things.

Not crazy: there are plenty of recent and an increasing frequency of incidents where speakers were either prevented from appearing or their event disrupted by more and more folks simply because they view ANY opposing opinion as hate speech.

The public demonization of opposing views is already common place by those in influential positions in government and "news" media. Blatantly false, misrepresented accusations, unsubstantiated in any way, are made on a daily basis.
    How close is one more step?

Who knows what type of suggestive "guy talk" might be recorded and used against us in a career move, possibly decades later?
    Or 30+ man SWAT team arrests someone with no priors or warrants, very publicly, including tipping off the "news"media because they worked for someone and share the opposing opinion?

Yes, these are recent events involving higher profile names.
    How close is one more step?

I like the Incognito mode for some things too but it dont mean they dont log whatever you wanted to browse discretely and can link back to your IP.

fullonshred likes this.
  16. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Never buy a pedal with enough delay to record a confession.

STACKS, Jaymo, tobijohn and 2 others like this.
  17. WC286

WC286 Active Member

Hell, my bag phone was spying on me in the 90's. It knew I was playing Leisure Suit Larry on my 486 with two floppy drives, don't even get me started on the flip phone that came soon after....:coldsweat:

fb8db90757e9a26f3c47295b0d843ba1.jpg

18. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

It gets worse. Smartphones can scan your emails and your texts.
    I was having a meaningful conversation with Siri one day and said, "I love you, Siri!"

And Siri intoned, "No, you love Corrine."

Oh. My. God.

andrewsrea and fullonshred like this.
  19. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

You're very much right that people are over-sensitive in allowing speakers based on certain views.

I generally just avoid saying things that would demean women or people of other nationalities, races, or sexual orientation even when I'm surrounded by other white males 90% of the time, so I'm not too worried about guy talk, but I do understand that there are things that you want, and should be kept private.

I'm not saying privacy isn't an issue. There are some serious problems that need to be addressed. The Googles and Facebooks of the world shouldn't be the ones keeping themselves accountable. The problem is that many of those in government positions are so technically challenged that they're even more useless than usual.

I'm just saying that I'm not too concerned about it directly affecting me. Smart devices have added so much convenience, efficiency, knowledge, and ability for me that I'm willing to compromise a little privacy. I'm in the middle of moving and my house is in the middle of a data service dead zone on my current plan. Before I got internet service, I felt blind. Where was everything? This seems laughable, looking back 10 years.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    jtcnj and andrewsrea like this.
  20. solteroblues

solteroblues Well-Known Member

Wow, i knew my ex got around, but I didn't know she had been married before me... LOL

andrewsrea and tobijohn like this.