It’s Been A While... Acoustic Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by pdcorlis, Jul 3, 2018.

1. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

Hi gang!

Well, I’ve been off the forum for a while... since last here I (1) made a trip to the UK, (2) sold one house, (3) bought another house, and (4) moved... so - nothing new really...

Moving is an interesting exercise in expectations (along with a massive outlay of capital and broken Ming Vases) which leads me to the meat of the matter...

Our new space has me thinking an acoustic would be a nice addition to my Telecaster, Superchamp X2 Head, and 12” speaker cab.

Here’s where you come in... I don’t have a load of free cash but I could squeeze out $200 -$300 bucks. I’m looking for an smaller body guitar (no dreadnoughts) but maybe not as small as a parlor guitar. Nice low action, a cutaway, and a scale that is friendly to string bending are preferred. I’d love to get into some acoustic blues...

Back in the 60’s I started on acoustics. My first was a small bodied Hohner classical guitar. Loved it - mostly. Sweet sound and super bendy nylon strings, but that classical fretboard was unkind to my young stubby fingers. My second (and final) was a Yamaha FG-160(?) Beautiful looking Martin knockoff with big sweet sound. Sadly my model’s action was pretty high. I took it to a tech back in the day and he got The action down to 1/4” + at the dusty end of the fretboard... but that was about it. I’m no acoustic genius but that sure felt high to me.

So is there any hope for my acoustic dream in that price range or should I wait until my finances recover? I’m all ears!

stevebway likes this.
  2. pdcorlis

July 3rd Bump...

3. dlew919

dlew919 New Member

Why not try a fender Tim Armstrong hellcat. I have one. Mahogany body. Sounds and plays great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdcorlis likes this.

4. pdcorlis

Thanks! Do you know the scale length or body size?

5. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

6. pdcorlis

Mickey likes this.
  7. uglyvw

uglyvw Well-Known Member

I'm an Alvarez guy myself, even the low end models are players.

pdcorlis and jamdogg like this.
  8. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

I really like my Taylor GS mini. They are small bodied, but sound much larger. Used they should fall near the top end of your range.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pdcorlis likes this.
  9. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

I got a used Seagull Entourage Rustic concert hall a/e for $180 late last year. I like the form factor of it a lot. Also have a Taylor GS Mini which is smaller still (although it sounds and feels great).

pdcorlis likes this.
  10. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

i keep an alvarez on the stand in my living room - i can barely walk by it without picking it up.

pdcorlis likes this.
  11. hatchmusic

hatchmusic Well-Known Member

Lots of good options out there in that price range. I would be looking for another Yamaha but Seagulls are well-made and inexpensive too.

jtcnj and pdcorlis like this.
  12. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

I'd recommend the Martin junior, but no cutaway. Aside from that the Seagulls are real bargains. Can get cutaways and smaller body sizes.

pdcorlis likes this.
  13. mighty_duck

mighty_duck Well-Known Member

Do you want something right now, or are you patient enough to wait until a good deal comes a long? Do you want new or is used ok?
    I couldn't find any fantastic deals at this moment.
    There were lots of deals for Seagull Entourage around black Friday. Breedlove's also give great bang for buck when they're on sale. I cashed in on both late last year.

14. pirate19

pirate19 Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat, though I've stretched my budget to the $400 range and dreadnaughts are fine. To @pdcorlis : I've played around with a few smaller bodied guitars as well. Seagull S6 (dread) is very nice but a little bright to my ears. Martin X series is their entry level and has dread as well as 00 sizes. Thoughts on smaller bodies:

Little Martin: Not bad, but sounds somewhat toy-like to me.
    Taylor GS Mini: Fantastic--based on your wants, I think this should be your #1 option until proven otherwise. Sounds much bigger than a "mini" acoustic

Also may want to check out Orangewood Guitars--seem to get a good buzz online, great prices, and they have lots of different sizes/models. https://orangewoodguitars.com/collections/guitars/products/olivermahogany

pdcorlis likes this.
  15. pdcorlis

Thanks for the link and feedback!

16. howardlo65

howardlo65 Well-Known Member

Hard to beat either an FS Yahama or an Ibanez AC240. The Ibanez is a great guitar (many think the best sub $300 acoustic out there). Love mine. Also really like my Yamahas. Been playing mainly acoustics for over 60 years, Those are always my first two recommendations for low cost acoustics, and many others seem to agree over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum.

nomadh and pdcorlis like this.
  17. pdcorlis

Thanks Howard, I know we have some real experts in this forum, I really appreciate the help!

18. pdcorlis

For what it’s worth, I’m really looking for a “couch” guitar for lack of a better description. I hope that helps!

pirate19 likes this.
  19. pirate19

pirate19 Well-Known Member

I really think Taylor GS Mini is going to be right in your wheelhouse. Out of your price range new, but you could probably find one used for $300-350 or so...

pdcorlis likes this.
  20. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

I know exactly what you mean by couch guitar something smaller and thinner you can sit in the recliner and noodle on easily

I had one custom made in Asia half a year ago but it wasn't for the faint of heart Right in your price range too and I got some cool custom things and working electrics- they did muff some wanted features but overall it's aigh't - will it be a forever guitar? Probably not - but I feel I got my monies worth -the process was a real exercise in patience. The only acoustic (sort of) guitars that play close to electrics to me are those fender stratacoustic monsters - you probably don't want one of those

Go with the Taylor mini, or maybe a seagull or yammy If it's going to be kicked around the campfire party scene at all

pdcorlis likes this.