It’s Been A While... Acoustic Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by pdcorlis, Jul 3, 2018.

1. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I approach acoustics much differently than electrics. I isolate the brand and then work through specific feature sets like all wood...solid top lam sides...ebony fretboard...nut width...grand concert...dred...etc. I TRY and stick to one brand at a time otherwise GRAND confusion sets in for me but we all have our individual approaches.

nomadh likes this.
  2. OMB

The cool thing about acoustics is you don't usually need to mod afterwards other than a setup.

howardlo65 likes this.
  3. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Martin formica guitar after a bad day at the office.
    a54eca653f96c0455973eeba033c2209.jpg

stevebway likes this.

4. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I was doing that with Ibby but not that many models so then I start cross checking myself. Maybe I'm just chasing the idea of spending money. If I can't really identify what I like or why or how I'll use it why buy it. And thats where I've been. I did play a very basic plain eastwood ?? dread. It was still fairly expensive but hit like a cannon. If I was planning on being in a bluegrass jam I would have it now. If it was a smaller cutaway and had its similar properties for its 800ish price I would have it now.
    If I was rich I'd just buy them all so yada yada.

5. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Eastwood? Do you mean Eastman? If you don't, please try a few Eastman acoustics. They are amazingly good! :)

howardlo65 and nomadh like this.
  6. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Yea, thats it. It was so good I was tempted to just buy the model I preferred over the internet untested. Thats how good it was.

Mickey likes this.
  7. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I am not an acoustic expert, so better advice from others - but, good to see you back!

8. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I was recently shopping for an acoustic a few months ago... I ran around to all the guitar stores in my area and tried everything in the $300-$700 price range. I didn't care for any of the Martin X series or MIM Taylors that I played, and I've always hated Fender acoustics. I had some optimism for the new line of acoustics they came out with, but that didn't last too long. I agree with @nomadh about the Epiphone Masterbuilts. They felt kinda stiff to me too... I was interested in the Jumbo, as well, but every one I played had no projection at all. I used to really like Breedlove's imports, but lately, I haven't picked up too many that inspired me. Blueridge makes some real nice, "affordable" guitars, but I think they start around $700-$800. Maybe a little out of your price range. I've been a Yamaha guy for about 20 years, and I figured I was probably going to get another one, since I wasn't finding much to get excited about on my excursions. It's really impossible to go wrong with Yamaha, but I couldn't find the model that I was interested in. The A1 series was ubiquitous at that time, and they do sound and play great, but I'm not crazy about the way they look (yeah, that matters to me), and the model I wanted was never seen in the wild, and on back-order everywhere online...

So I ended up getting a Guild Westerly D-240e, and I'm really glad I did.

d240e full 1 s.jpg

My review: https://www.aguitarforum.com/threads/guild-westerly-d-240e-with-full-review.103298/

I bought this guitar online, which I would never in a million years recommend anybody do (buying an acoustic, that is), but I was offered a pretty sweet deal, along with an assurance that I could get a full refund (including shipping) if I didn't like it.

It's a surprisingly high quality guitar for its $400 price tag. They're made in China, but they say they're built to the same designs and specs as the guitars they were making back in the day in Rhode Island (hence the "Westerly" name). It's got a solid Sitka Spruce top, mahogany sides and an arched mahogany back, which gives it great projection without being too "boomy". I was in love with my old Yamaha, but this guitar blows it away (and the Yamaha was a bit more expensive). I want to get an OM style next, and it'll probably be another Guild. You probably won't find these in many stores, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one online. I haven't seen a single bad review about these.

Oh, and it comes with a real nice, well-padded gig bag too... That's unheard of at this price point.

howardlo65 and nomadh like this.
  9. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

The sam
    samash i was at did have a few guilds. I didnt try them this time. Only a couple non ce dreads so i didnt get to them. Id really lije to try a guild gs or 000 cutaway electric sometime.
    I forgot to mention i tried the new gibson walnut backed j45? Models. I liked them. I think. By then i was loopy but i think than thinfin studio model really played well and rang out.

Mossman likes this.
  10. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

I've thought the same thing about the Epi Masterbuilts that I've played - really nice feel and playability but sounded stiff and didn't resonate. I wondered if they would loosen up after some time? Recently I played an Ibanez AC240 and I was stunned. It still haunts me that I didn't go home with that $299 killer instrument. (Just typing this I'm once again upset with myself LOL.)

Check out the Martin Road series - all solid sapele and everyone I have played has felt great. Although many needed a set up. I've been considering trading in my Martin Dread Jr. for an RS1. I love the Jr. though and think I might miss it not being around.

I'll always give a shout out to Seagull - my S6 sounds better each year and I miss my Coastline Folk model. A different neck profile to be sure but feels great to me now that I'm used to it, and they go for good prices on the used market.

nomadh and Mossman like this.
  11. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I kinda wish I had tried more Ibanez acoustics. It's admittedly a bias. When I think of Ibanez, I usually think: "Guitars and basses that I don't like, made for music that I don't play" (with the exception of the Artcore series, that is). And I haven't been too impressed with the acoustics I've tried in the past, but that's a pretty small (and random) sample size.

I was always a fan of Seagulls since they first came out. I never owned one, but I liked them, and I always thought I'd buy one eventually... But every time I played an S6, it didn't sound or feel as good as I remembered. Even the higher-end models were kinda "meh". I'd ordinarily write that off as the vagaries of human memory (or evolving tastes), but I've heard other people say that Seagulls are not as good as they used to be... Whatever that's worth.

12. OMB

Mossman - Take a look at one of these if you can find one:

Tiga and nomadh like this.
  13. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

Martin.....or a Martin......or either a Martin

Tiga likes this.
  14. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

The ones I get to play never sound that good. I think I keep finding duds. :(

15. ronnx

ronnx Well-Known Member

fendermalibu.JPG PD, if you want a smaller bodied but not a parlor. You might check out the Fender Malibu. Has electronics and makes for a nice couch guitar.

16. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Well everyone. Been getting serious about getting a NICE acoustic for awhile now. Last week I saw a 200 series taylor for about 375 iirc. It had a body crack in the lower bout but it was supposedly "stable". I like 200 series Taylor's. Some of them alot. Maybe not the greatest tone but very nice, top playability and very good amped. But before I could get over there it sold. Well this week I see an Eastman AC420ce. I was hoping to get a small body instead of a dread this time but Eastman's are hard to come by so I figure I'll give it a shot. I contact the guy and I get an email back about the guitar FROM A FRIEND OF MINE. I meet him at gc because I know how fickle my ears can be so I want to compare to some martins at Taylors. Well turns out most are now locked up. When did that happen?
    Anyway I play a 200 taylor, a few others and my friend plays a guild and a breedlove. This Eastman really impressed. The playability is right up there and the tone is just luxuriant!
    So it was shit or get off the pot time so for $600 I bought it. Bound neck, solid top and solid back and sides of rosewood.with a nice case.
    I think this thing is going to mess with my resting bitch face for at least a few weeks.
    I'll post a sample in the coffee house thread soon.
    20190713_183301.jpg 20190713_183313.jpg 20190713_183326.jpg 20190713_183400.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    jtcnj, STACKS, voodoorat and 4 others like this.
  17. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

Unusually "blingy" for an Eastman. Quite beautiful. A person could not want for more guitar.

Mickey and nomadh like this.
  18. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Played it a few more hours tonight
    Even mistakes sound musical.
    New song ideas are just falling out of this thing. I need to start doing something with them.

jtcnj, howardlo65 and stevebway like this.
  19. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

In a word: Awesome! :)

nomadh likes this.
  20. OMB

Very nice...congrats on your new Eastman!

nomadh likes this.