NGD Jackson Professional King V Mij

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by toomanycats, Jan 17, 2019.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Sinster, jtcnj, MarkW and 10 others like this.
  2. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We are taking bets on the price.

I'm gonna guess late 80's era, we also want to know sq. footage of your guitar warehouse.

3. toomanycats

I'm not a Jackson expert, but I believe it's a 94. Something seems odd about this one, as the Professionals for the US market supposedly didn't have seven digit serial numbers. Please weigh in on this resident Jackson aficionados.

The neck is amazing. Wide and thin, big frets, high quality work, beautiful piece of rosewood, rolled edges.

Pickups are very good. Neck is a J-50N, which is below 8K resistance, A5, creamy and articulate all at once. Just vintage goodness. Bridge is a J H - 2. Measures around 11.5 K resistance. Also sounds quite good.

The trem looks more or less like a proper Floyd and has a Takeuchi made in Japan steel block.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Lamf77, MarkW, BatUtilityBelt and 3 others like this.

4. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

Hi, 90s Jackson Professional expert here (or at least someone who's owned a few and knows a little bit!). Nice lookin' V. This is a 90s model. Jackson is notorious for crappy record keeping during this era, but here's some info from the JCF regarding the serial:

"1996 saw the end of the Professional series guitars and a new serial number format. All MIJ bolt on guitars received a 7 digit serial number starting at 9600000 increasing sequentially as more guitars are built, this system continues to this day for MIJ guitars (as of the start of 2010 the serial numbers are up to approximately 9850000). There is a slight exception to this format for several 1996 models. The new 7 digit MIJ serial system was suppose to start at the end of the Professional series which was suppose to end in 1995, but it appears a few Professional series guitars were made into early 1996."

More info from JCF:

94 | 1994 MIJ Concept guitars, first two digits denotes year (only made in 1994)

"Update to FAQ: 1994 MIJ Concept guitar serial range added to 7 digit serials

I now have enough samples to see there are both 6 and 7 digit Concepts, with most having 7 digit serials. 1994 MIJ Concept guitars should have a 7 digit serial number in the following format: 94xxxxx. The first two digits denote the year, MIJ Concepts were only made in 1994. There are some 6 digit MIJ Concepts floating around also, since the MIJ 6 digit serial number scheme would be the norm in 1994 that makes some sense. The majority of the serials I have seen are this 7 digit serial type."

So, it's hard to say because your serial is a 7 digit starting with 94 which according to the info on JCF might indicate the neckplate is from a Jackson "Concept" model...but the headstock obviously indicates the neck is from a Jackson Professional King V Standard. It is possible based on this info that you may have a mix n' match Jackson. I would consider pulling the neck to see if there's anything written on the neck or body to ID it properly. It's also not out of the question that they just used one of those Concept neckplates for this guitar that they had lying around and it's all 100% legit.

These have the JT580 trem, which is a solid Floyd (though the JT590 by Schaller is considered the "best" one in this series and was mostly reserved for the higher level Professional models).

I don't believe I've ever seen a purple one of these, though I know they made purple Kelly Professional models so it's entirely possible they're just a bit rarer.

Can't comment on the sq footage of tmc's warehouse (nor do I know what he paid for this), but the value of these stock with case is in the neighborhood of $350-400.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    mozz and toomanycats like this.
  5. toomanycats

Thanks for the info. I'm going to thoroughly disassemble this after I've played it a bit and I'll check the neck and body for info.

Another interesting thing about this guitar is that I'm starting to think two knobs did not come stock. All the pics I see of similar Jacksons show just a single regular sized volume knob. These are two "mini" knobs, one volume and one tone. They're really close together, full size pots too.

I know you guys are curious, so I'll spill the beans on the price. I paid $145.

dearlpitts and jtcnj like this.
  6. slowhand84

Sweet, that's a nice grab with case even if it's a mix n' match since the parts are all solid. I've also seen what you're mentioning, mostly just a single knob on the Professionals which is another thing that makes me believe that the neck and body may be from two different guitars, but people did also modify these so that's another possibility.

The one thing you can count on for certain with Jacksons of this era is some of them can be a pain in the ass to properly ID :).

toomanycats likes this.
  7. toomanycats

So what can you tell me about the J-50N neck pup and J H - 2 bridge pup? I found info indicating that the neck pup is A5, though I can't find any specs on the bridge. I will say that they both sound excellent. The neck has a SD 59 vibe.

8. slowhand84

I don't know anything about the JH2 bridge pup, but I am familiar with the J50s as they came stock in a lot of the Jackson Professional series guitars. Good pickups for stock, about on par with a decent Dimarzio in my opinion. They match especially well with the active preamp that is in some of the higher end Professional models. Overall they're perfectly serviceable, I ended up removing one from one of my Jacksons in favor of a Dimarzio I liked better but they're really not much different quality wise. Some of the better "stock" pups I've heard.

9. mark_morton

mark_morton Well-Known Member

Awesome find!

I expect some Slayer clips!

toomanycats likes this.
  10. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

Robin would approve (y)(y)

toomanycats likes this.
  11. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

You [email protected]$^er.

mark_morton, toomanycats and jam like this.
  12. toomanycats

Hey @slowhand84, I just found an identical Jackson King V Std on Guitar Center used. They call it "blue sapphire" and it's priced at $500.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Jackson/1994-King-V-Standard-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Same neck plate too. Only one control knob on that one, so my tone knob is surely an add on.

Some specs of the King V Std from a vintage ad:

jack v.jpg

Interestingly, while my neck pup is the same as the listed J-50N in the specs, my bridge is a JH-2 rather than the listed J-92C. The "C" must stand for "ceramic" and I imagine that 92 is probably what Jackson call "ultra high output" like the J-90s. My JH-2 bridge pup is only moderate output and doesn't seem to have that characteristic pushed, clear, tight ceramic tone. Sounds more hot PAF. Overall, the guitar produces great classic rock/classic metal tones.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  13. slowhand84

Nice, that’s what that finish is called for the Kellys I’ve seen too so I guess it is factory. That price at GC is a little much but sometimes the fact that something is at GC with an easy return policy makes people pay the extra $. Plus that one looks like it’s in really great shape too.

You can find the missing locking nuts for yours pretty easily and I would change the knobs to black domes (those satin chrome ones always look kinda off to me), but beyond that I think you’ll enjoy this one for a long time. This era of Jacksons is super underrated and these are in my opinion way better built than the Jacksons available now.

toomanycats likes this.
  14. toomanycats

I concur about the black knobs.

At first I was kinda wishing that the tone knob wasn't there so the guitar would be in original condition. But after playing the V for a few more hours I'm glad that mod was done and understand why it was done.

The tone knob adds so much versatility. The neck pup is below 8K, so it's got plenty of definition, though it's nice to be able to roll a little treble off for a creamier tone. But the real sweet spot is the middle position, tone rolled all the way down. It produces something reminiscent of the Michael Schenker cocked way tone. Just a beautiful sound.

jtcnj likes this.
  15. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Great score and great deal!!
    those MIJ Professionals are the REAL DEAL.

toomanycats likes this.
  16. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

Is that trem block steel for sure? Or is it zinc?

Either way, that is a whale of a score.

jam likes this.
  17. toomanycats

Checked again with a magnet. I stand corrected, it's not steel. Probably zinc or something of that nature.