Johnny Winter In His Prime

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by MichaelR, Dec 29, 2019.

1. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ive always felt Johnny Winter was one of the world greats in his genre. I ran into this with Him Rory Gallagher and S R Vaughn Live. Each of them alone LIVE.

andrewsrea, tlarson58, DonM and 5 others like this.
  2. MichaelR

Live goodness

3. MichaelR

Now that I watched it all the way through I can say these are really great performances from them all.

tonray likes this.

4. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

Johnny Winter in his prime was on fire. I saw him in the early 80’s when he was either using heroin, getting off of heroin or going back on heroin; pretty hard to tell which. Show was very disappointing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    tlarson58 and jtees4 like this.
  5. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Was in a big music store in Charlotte NC in 1984 looking for something different. Was temporarily metalled out. After a bit heard some cool jamz coming thru the store speakers. Listened for a while then walked up front and asked what was playing. It was Johnny Winter Guitar Slinger. Bought the album on the spot.

I still like Rick Derringer's version of Rock n Roll Hoochie Coo better than Johnny's though.

DonM likes this.
  6. Raindog

Raindog Well-Known Member

Let's not forget Johnny's younger brother, Edgar.

jtcnj likes this.
  7. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

He used to play quite often back in the early 70’s in the little city of Thibodaux, LA where I am from. Didn’t know who he was back then. I was too young at the time. Little band called ZZ Top used to visit as well.

jtcnj likes this.
  8. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    post it note reminder to listen to this in shirt pocket.

9. 5thumbs

5thumbs New Member

Any one remember an early Johnny Winter album named "Progressive Blues Experiment" That album along with Howling Wolfs Electric Album really turned me on to the Blues. Led Zeppelin had not quite docked yet.

10. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

This is the best I ever heard Johnny Winter. The way this man could manipulate notes with his bends was unreal. The sweet but biting tone of those mini hums is heavenly! I went through a major phase of listening to and studying him a couple years ago.

11. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

It's fun to compare the 3 here. I skippalong through winter ut when I hit rory i get stuck in a rabbit hole. My first blues love was possibly his live in Monteaux but it still sounds so fresh and raw. Then theres srv. Well I'm burnt on stevie but I love him too. We spent the 80 together ducking MTV and hair metal.
    I should give JW more time but for some reason he just doesn't grab me. Part of the reason I'm reluctant to pay big money for a FB pup. I suspect if I can't get jw here I just don't get him.

12. jtees4

jtees4 Member

Exactly when I saw him also! I love JW, did for years before and after....BUT he was such a mess that night. He was literally on one knee at the very edge of the stage ready to fall over WHILE HE KEPT PLAYING, and his roadie was holding him by the back of his shirt to keep him upright and going over the edge. But I have to say, he still played really well at certain points of the show, amazing really. But yeah....I just felt bad about the shape he was in so it disappointed me for that reason.

DonM likes this.
  13. 4CASTER

4CASTER Member

It's saying a lot when Johnny Winter looks like a mess. At his best, poor ol' Johnny always looked at least a little unwell--might have something to do with Albinism, oh and needing a sandwich. Sorry if I'm skinny shaming the poor guy.

14. DonM

Wow, that sounds a lot worse than when I saw him. He had all of these silk scarves around his neck and he spent the night just twirling around in a circle. He didn’t fall over though, and like you said, once in a while he’d get with it and start playing like we expected him to.

15. Olde School

Olde School Well-Known Member

Only time I saw Johnny Winter was in a small club here in NH. A 200 seater. I really only remember him being very LOUD! This was the only show I've ever seen where they had ear plugs available for free at the door. I can recall tell my wife to be sure she put in her plugs because I could see the drum kit was miced. Not really necessary because of the size of the room. I guess they figured they need to amplify the drums so you could hear them over the guitar, which was turned up to 11. People were running for the door, hands over their ears, before the first song was finished.

16. redman

redman Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

THe first time I saw ZZ was in 72 I remember the year because it was my junior year in high school.they were unknown at least by my friends and I and they were opening up for Leon Russell and blew him off the stage.

I loved JW's mastery of the guitar but I never cared for his voice Back in the day when you could hear Tobacco Road on the radio I remember hearing that tune and thinking that if he had a good singer he would go to superstardom because he and his band were so damn good.
    I didn't think Edgar could sing either but he was also a great musician I saw him when Frankenstein was being played continuously on the radio.
    I keep mentioning the radio but back then it was our only gateway to new and great music. No videos NO MTV/VH1 or any other video channel. I remember when it was cool to watch Then Ed Sullivan Show because he introduce so many bands of the day. There were some TV shows that featured rock concerts like Don Kirshners Rock concert and you had to pay for the music through album and tape sells no piracy. That makes me want to say don't steal other peoples music buy it, it's their livelihood..

17. DonM

Well, he wrote it so there's that. Probably just has a better feel for it.

redman likes this.
  18. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

I like both versions a lot, Don. Two great players with their own unique take on the same song.

But summertime at our local swimming pool the Rick Derringer version was on the jukebox and I burned many a quarter playing that one.

DonM likes this.
  19. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

First and only time I saw him was 1989. My band opened for him in Allentown. Was a cool experience. He was hot.

DonM likes this.
  20. DonM

Now that’s something most of us never had the chance to do. I’m impressed.

andrewsrea likes this.