Just Curious, Any Reverend Expert In The House?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Poodlesrule, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

Local band lead guitar plays two Reverend guitars, like this one:
    3d4d5270b8d9dc68a4ba5e2e9bf6c6c9.jpg
    (nice mix of Marley, GD, and other stuff, appealing, punchy set)

Do we have a Reverend expert in the house?

What's good, bad, or exceptional about them, across models, that is?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  2. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

I'm certainly no expert. But...

When I lived in Texas, there was an authorized dealer I used to visit. This was when Reverend had just started back up again, and for a few years after. They were really cool looking guitars, great woods, and unbeatable pricing. They were all super playable off the rack, and the shop owner told me it was because they have one dude setting 'em all up before they go out the door. I think they still do this, as every guitar has the guy's signature in paint pen on the back of the headstock.

My band used to have meetings in a coffee shop a few doors down from that guitar store, so I had quite a few early Reverends in my hands. They were $500 - $800 back then, and they had the best and most consistent QC I've ever seen from any mass production house.

I have also purchased and installed a few of their Railhammer pickups for builds, and if you're willing to spend into the $100/ea range they are quite good as well. I have a Huevos 90 in a keeper guitar and it's a really good (mostly noiseless) P90 pickup.

If I had the money and saw a model I liked, I wouldn't hesitate. The price has increased, but I still think they are great values, comparatively speaking. I love the stuff they make for Reeves Gabrels, and the Sensei line gets me as well. If I ever do buy a bass off the rack, I'll take a good hard look at the Mercalli models they have.

I take more than a little inspiration in my builds from their wiring ideas.

3. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I've owned a Pete Anderson Eastisider S and a Reeves Gabriel. They're one of very few companies other than G&L to offer a Bass contour on many (but not all) of their guitars. The contour control lets you cut the bass. It's great for P90s and Humbuckers. Not so useful for strat and tele singles. They're made in Korea but set up here in the USA. They're about the same quality as a Dusenberg but cost a whole lot less. I don't love the pickups, but they're better than most pickups you'll get stock on an import guitar.

By the way, I sold both of those Reverends. They're good, but the used prices are such that I occasionally get the more common USA Fenders and the more common G&Ls for the same cost as a used Reverend. Reverends are good, but I'd rather own an American Standard strat/tele, Legacy/ASAT for those prices. Heck, I've even gotten core model PRS and older CE models for less than Reverend guitars cost used. So I pretty much only buy used Reverends when they are a steal.

4. ronnx

ronnx Well-Known Member

I have one that I have had for about 10 years and never thought about parting with it. Charger 290. rev290a.jpg

thepezident likes this.
  5. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I've got a Manta Ray and while I'm no pro, it's a pro level guitar with a build quality as good as anything else I have:

P1030155.JPG

6. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this, John.
    Usually don't care for blue hues, but I would make an exception here!
    Curious (again!), how did it come to be in your hands, chance, deliberate search, etc?

7. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It's actually more of a teal. I bought it used and it had been on my bucket list for a while after I couldn't find any negative reviews of this model (I'm a big double cutaway aficionado)...

8. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

I have an early Warhawk III, has bass counter. Great guitar. The newer Reverends are amazing quality and features.
    20180318_112219.jpg

9. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

FYI mine is all Korina, prob the most comfortable guitar I have, its balanced perfectly. Like I said in my previous post, the over all quality of mine is great, mine is an early one, when they just started building in Koria. The neck is very comfortable and the bass contour it a fantastic feature, I can roll the p90s back to sound like a strat. The most recent Reverends quality has gone up, much finer detail and more unique features, some have roasted maple neck, rail hammer pick ups. I highly recommend reverend. Will never sell the one I have and have at time thought about buying more.