Kmise / Kmize Necks

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by Buddy, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

I was trying to think up a cheeky title about it coming pre-nutted, or maybe something about having a neck a vampire would love, but blah.. I’m exhausted.

I ordered 3 necks, each with a different headstock design, from the Bay of Evil to go with my recent Liquid box-o-bodies purchase.

I received this one (shipped from California, I believe), and I’m still waiting for 2 others to arrive. Each one was in the $30 range... I think one was $27.99, another one was $31 something. You get the idea.

Are they great? Nope. Are they horrible? Nope. I got about what I paid for, in my opinion. Well, this is based only on one so far.. the other 2 aren’t here yet.

Nice satiny feeling finish. I like that. Nice and flat, no lumps or bumps.

Fret ends are a little prickly. Not horribly pointy, but pointy enough that I will want to take an emery board and smooth them a bit. Not the end of the world, but not perfect out of the box.

It came with a nut pre installed! Who knew? I wasn’t expecting that. To my uneducated eye it looks like it’s slotted for 9’s. I ordered 297 different kinds and sizes of nuts following my “Grabbed the Wrong Nuts” thread a while back. I’m still waiting for some of them to arrive. Turns out, I didn’t need to order any of them. Although.. this one is plastic, and I did order some “fancier” options, so I may be swapping that nut out after all.

The frets are not tall. I am familiar with the term “jumbo frets.” I don’t know any other terms for fret sizes, so I will just call these, “Not Jumbo.” Lol. “Normal frets”, maybe?

There is no scarf joint. Go figure again! I would have sort of expected one. Weren’t scarf joints invented to make neck production more efficient, minimizing the amount of waste wood? On a “cheap” neck I would have expected to see one. Maybe I’m wrong about the scarf joint origin story.

There is one little area of shipping damage, on the back, where the headstock is turning into the neck. Is this the area referred to as the “volute?” Would this neck be considered to have a volute, or would it be considered to be voluteless? Anyway, I’ll probably hit the ding with a little sand paper just to smooth it a little. As far as shipping, the neck came taped and wrapped in bubble wrap, several layers, tucked into a gray plastic mailing bag / sleeve. Not a box. Strange. Aside from the ding already mentioned, the rest of the neck looks mar-free.

There is a fitting for a truss rod. Does it work? I dunno yet. Single action or double? No idea. But I will update once I fiddle with it.

22 frets with a 1 fret overhang.

The listing said 57mm heel. I haven’t measured yet.

Pics to follow.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    tonray and mkgearhead like this.
  2. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

3. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

Overall, I have to say.. I’m oretty satisfied. The satiny finish feels delicious to my hands. Your mileage may vary, but I like the feel of it a lot.

It will be used to make a Liquid into a retro SJM look, although the headstock, admittedly, is a little different.

Spoiler alert... the finish will be a color never offered by Rondo (or SX) before, and the headstock color will match the body.

As a matter of fact, I have TWO of those in mind, meaning colors never offered before. I am beyond psyched. I hope they turn out nice. I want to say what my color plans are, but I want them to be a surprise as well.

One of the colors has something to do with money. The other color has something to do with a classic muscle car.

ID10T likes this.

4. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

What is the neck thickness like and the radius? I need a neck for a build. Was working in a trade with someone here, but he just went silent.

5. bc rich

bc rich Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Speaking of volute's and i am no expert here ,but i believe to qualify as a volute the flat back of the headstock wood must rise slightly up to form a berm in the vicinity of the nut meets neck/ headstock location .
    And thanks for your research into affordable necks , as to colors i think it is time for coral pink to make a come back , my 2 cents.

tonray likes this.
  6. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

I've got a few of those too. Honestly, they're no different than what comes spec'd on a bunch of import guits. 1 is a dead ringer for my CV neck except it has the 22nd fret overhang. Same finish, same color, same size.

I did buy this odd duck tele neck that had half the frets installed poorly. It has trust adj at the heel. It measures a nice .93 at the first though. Cheap stoke on that.

They're easily worth what they're asking but put one side by side to a USACG, Allparts, or Warmoth & you'll see where the quality is.

A scarf joint would be on a tilt back Gibby style headstock to improve strength. I dont think I've ever seen the need for one on a F style. Never say never tho.

honyock and tonray like this.
  7. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've bought three Tele style necks, all labeled Kmize, two maple fretboard and a "rosewood", and I was highly satisfied with them. The frets are "normal" I guess, not jumbo, for sure, but they are OK. The nuts are OK. "Tele" headstocks are off, sort of dorky looking until you get used to 'em. Mine were shipped in boxes. Sure, they took some finishing work. Not first rate, but dang man,$30.00!

One neck replaced an otherwise good Furrian neck that had the truss rod adjustment at the heel, another replaced a real third- rate Asian neck that had the truss rod adjustment at the heel (I hate those, Hoss), and the third one replaced the neck on an early Squire Tele that was super narrow at the nut. Now I have three playable guitars. And there's no way I would have invested in three Warmoth quality necks for those bargain basement instruments. But $30 each was a go!

tonray likes this.
  8. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

So you're up to your neck in nuts ?

9. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

I will be super happy to do some measuring with the caliper when I get home from work this afternoon.

I don’t have radius gauges. Is there another way to measure radius without gauges? I can try to make generalized comparisons based on other guitars I have around, i.e., curvier than this, flatter than that.. would that be of any help at all?

10. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

Thank you for the clarification on the scarf joint. 99% of what I have laying around here is LP style, so I’m not all that familiar with strat/tele style. I don’t own enough of them to have noticed the pattern. I thought it was just a general efficiency thing when cutting headstocks.

11. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

Thank you for the clarification on the volute. Coral pink would be snazzy, but that’s not the exact direction I’m going.

More hints: Duracell is a hint for one, and Heart sang a song related to the other one.

These colors are going to be so cool...

12. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

Yup, my thinking is exactly along the same lines. I’m not looking to break the bank. Just need something playable, and I’m definitely willing to put a little work into making it right. That’s where some of the fun and challenge lies.

13. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

I’m balls deep in nuts.

tonray likes this.
  14. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

If you have any Fender guitars, most are 9 1/2” radius. Most imports are 12 -14. As long as it’s not 9 1/2” I would probably like it.

15. jjudas

jjudas Active Member

I bought a black painted strat Kmise neck for like $37 and put it on a Squier SE body. I was really surprised at the quality for under forty bucks. It was much better than the Squier neck that I took off to use on something else.

honyock likes this.