Left Handed Auto Trims?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dabbler, Oct 4, 2019.

1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

OK, here's the thing, I know that planet waves no longer makes left handed 6 inline auto-trims, but I need (want) a set of 6 inline left handers. So I'm looking for ideas on where I MIGHT be able to get a set.

Why, you ask? I have a pair of really versatile LP style guitars:

IMGP0200.JPG

They both have similar mods, and the Agile has auto-trim tuners (put on by me). Most 3x3 tuners have the attaching screw tang hanging straight down, but Douglas uses tuners with the tang at an angle. Even though it's a cheap guitar, I want to install auto-trims but I don't want exposed holes (I'm not OCD but I really love both of these guitars).

I have a set of right handed six inline auto-trims which will work for 3 of the tuners, but I need at least 3 left handed tuners (from an inline set so they have the angled tang) to complete what I need. A full left handed inline set would allow me to have 2 full sets!

Since planet waves no longer makes left handed sets, I know I will be getting used parts (unless there's some new really old stock somewhere) and that my chances of actually finding them are slim, but I figured if ANYbody would be able to help me it would be the smart, helpful and resourceful folks here on AGF!

2. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

How long ago did they discontinue the lefty version?

3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I don't know exactly, but their response to my email said they stopped making them "years ago".

4. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

I know you like these tuners, but maybe it would be easier to get another quality locking tuner from a different make, like Gotoh Magnums.

5. dabbler

I've already done that. But, I, want Planet Waves Auto-Trims. NOTHING else will do.

No tool, quick string changes will spoil you!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  6. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

So, another way to screw around with you lefties. :grimacing: Good luck finding what you want.