Lego

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by PsychoCid, Jan 6, 2018.

1. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

2. PsychoCid

3. manco53

manco53 Well-Known Member

My gf works for LEGO at North American HQ, she survived the layoffs. I hear about this shit all the time. But I have no idea what “roblocks” are.....
    I’m crawling back under my rock

Raindog and PsychoCid like this.

4. Raindog

Raindog Well-Known Member

I respect Jason but I don't always agree with him. I eat, sleep and shit LEGO (and that hurts!) and know the market fairly well. It is following the same arc as Harley-Davidson and many other "bubble" companies. It's a product that has a long history with a hard-core fan base. A bunch of new faces were pumping up the bubble. New plants are opening in China, knock-off companies are proliferating, saturation is starting to hurt the brand and finally, the fad fans are starting to move on. I stated that this would happen two years ago and was soundly trounced in the LEGO Investing forum. Those nay-sayers have mostly faded away by now, on to the next fad, having lost money or barely broken even.

Having worked for Harley-Davidson (and being one of their pensioners) I can only say thank goodness LEGO is combating the post bubble period much better than HD. They are fighting the knock-off companies tooth and nail. This isn't companies like Mega-Bloks or the like. Those are competing companies that make similar products. I am talking about companies like Lepin that outright steal images and ideas from LEGO, copy intellectual content and post it as their own. LEGO keeps their patents intact by introducing new brick designs, necessary since the patents ran out on the original brick years ago. And the most important thing is that LEGO has NEVER compromised on quality. I can take a 1950's brick, mate it with a 1970's one, a 1990's one and one made yesterday with no problem. Also, the "clutchability." Those bricks with stay together until I pull them apart. I will bet anyone here that you can blindfold me and hand me a model from LEGO and 5 competing companies and I'll be able to tell you the LEGO model every time. That's quality and tight tolerance!

Yes, LEGO had a down-turn earlier, about a year ago. But that video is old news. They have already recovered in record time. It's kinda remarkable.

I know that some people scoff at the idea of people actually selling LEGO in stores. To get a rough idea of how big it is, visit bricklink.com and see how many stores there are around the world. I have the 2nd largest store in Alabama but its still just a tiny one in the overall LEGO store picture at 150,000 parts. There are stores out there with over 10 million parts. I have enough parts waiting to be cataloged to double the size of my store but 150k keeps me as busy as I want to be. If I added more then I would have to hire another employee.

5. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

my daughter plays the shit out of roblox. she's 10. she never played with legos (my other daughter does), and she used to play minecraft a lot. she plays it with her friends from school.

my other daughter (she's 13, but has autism) plays with legos all the time recently, though. i feel better spending money on legos because the 10yo just wastes half the money on dumb stuff in the game (typical microtransaction-type stuff), but it's up to her what she wants to do with her "earnings".

PsychoCid likes this.
  6. Raindog

A lot of people don't realize this but the term LEGOs is not correct. LEGO is actually a verb. Online dictionaries will list it as a noun but the president of The LEGO Group has verified this. LEGO is dutch for "Play well" and they intend for the name to be used as such and not a noun. Also, LEGO is always capitalized by AFOLs because that's how TLG and all LEGO subsidiaries do it in correspondence. And none of this probably means a shit to anyone not a LEGO nerd, I know. It's one of those things that, only bugs the shit out of you if you know about them, like a cameraman watching a movie.

7. PsychoCid

I love it. Thanks for sharing.

8. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

My son started playing with duplo legos at 6 months when he noticed a hand-me-down collection in his room. He was hooked from that moment on. He graduated to regular legos before he was 2. He just turned 4 and his collection eclipses my own probably 10 fold already. He can follow the manuals and build a 400+ piece set by himself (except for assemblies that require real strength like wheels etc ). He's already moved on to lego "juniors" 7-14. More over he has the patience to do so. It's really amazing what this toy does for young minds. Not to mention he builds random stuff all the time and it's really intricate and has long explanations.

Sometimes I build with him too. One of the funniest things I built was a catapult. He saw one in a book and asked to build one. We made up a design with pieces in his collection. I tensioned it with a rubber and and had legos flying 40+ feet at velocity. It was hilarious to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. frozensoda

frozensoda Well-Known Member

C90BB325-F3ED-4D96-A91D-58030671AAB5.jpeg
    I love Legos.

LongBlackTie and jam like this.
  10. manco53

manco53 Well-Known Member

@Raindog is correct, it’s “LEGO” or “brick(s),” but never “legos.”

Common misnomer.

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  11. slaveunit

slaveunit Well-Known Member

And yeah the Lepin sets are pretty damn good!

12. jam

jam Well-Known Member

Fuck Mega-Bloks!!!

Raindog and jimytheassassin like this.
  13. jam

jam Well-Known Member

For all those guys with a hate on for Gibsons, LEGO knockoffs are what piss me off. I coach my son's First LEGO League robotics team, and we're going to the Ontario east provincial championship next Saturday. If I'm not in the same boat as Raindog, I'm in the next one over. I've played with them since I was 3 and my grandparents brought them back from Denmark after every visit.

*EDIT* that "Gibsons" was supposed to read "chibsons"!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    uwmcscott, PsychoCid, Raindog and 2 others like this.
  14. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

My mom still has all the Lego sets that belonged to my brother and I, now our kids play with them when we visit. We all spent most of Christmas sorting them all out by color into separate containers. I has some of the big "expert builder" sets with car chassis, etc. I also had the first yellow castle set my Uncle brought back from Denmark. Don't have the boxes anymore, but some of the instruction sets. I still find myself goofing around with the kids here too, they are fun for all ages.

15. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

We have a very large storage container full - probably 7-$800 worth AFTER we include my own childhood stash as part of it.

My son stopped Lego almost cold turkey when he discovered minecraft at age 9. It was kind of sad but you should see the massive working machines he builds in MC

PsychoCid, jam and manco53 like this.
  16. Raindog

I good friend of mine specializes in robotics LEGO in her Bricklink store. We Game To Please in Stone Mountain, GA. She not only has an excellent store but also teaches robotics to inner-city school kids in Atlanta. Quite an accomplished lady.

It is very common for kids to stop LEGO at 9 or 10 and pick it up again in their late teens or early 20's. It's known in the hobby as entering and emerging into/from the Dark Ages.

PsychoCid, jam and jimytheassassin like this.
  17. Cyphre

Cyphre Well-Known Member

My kids are big Lego fans.... But I have noticed a marked increase In how much time by elder daughter (10 years old) spends on Roblox.

jam likes this.
  18. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

I had no idea there were so many fellow LEGO junkies here.

That's awesome. I got four or five new sets from my family for Xmas.

19. PsychoCid

I'm glad I started this thread based on @Raindog's comments.

jam, Raindog and mr_tornado_head like this.
  20. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

I was big into legos as a kid. Had a massive chest of them built up over many years and many sets. At some point in high school I gave them all to some younger cousins.

Around the release of The Force Awakens I had a slight nostalgia trip with Star Wars Lego sets. Had a lot of fun putting these together.

fbc518af45c6aa6636e0eb47a030d568.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk