Linux Users, What Are You Running?

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Poodlesrule, Aug 9, 2018 at 8:27 AM.

1. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

Couple of old Windows boxes landed on my lap.

Looking for ideas, other than Mint 17.x, a daily and trusty desktop driver.

What you got running?
    And what desktop environment (GNOME, MATE, KDE, XCFE, etc)?

Auxiliary question: What do you dislike about it?

2. Poodlesrule

Bump to encourage the shy people.

3. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

4. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I used Mint at first, because that was supposed to be the most "noob-friendly" distro. But my last go-round with Linux, I used Ubuntu, because it was the most widely used. I haven't used Linux in about 6 years, though, so everything could be different now.

5. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Ubuntu gets better every year. :) But I'm running Intel Core I7 boxes with 16 gig of RAM.

Mossman likes this.
  6. Poodlesrule

At what stage of the Ubuntu "seasonal cycle" are we now?

I may wait a month or two to jump and install the next LTS window one.

I ventured out to others, but was always relieved to get back to the apt-get process and synaptics as implemented in Debian/Ubuntu environment.

7. thepezident

thepezident Well-Known Member

8. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

That's what I'm running too, but one of the good things about Linux is; it can really breath new life into outdated machines. I would usually install Linux on an old POS, and it made it feel like a brand new computer.

Mickey likes this.
  9. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

2018 Lightweight Linux Distros

I have been messing with LXLE (number 7 at the link) on a USB Boot Drive. Based on LXDE Desktop. Figured out finally how to enable Persistence to save simple changes I make from 1 bootup to the next. This distro is fast. And the Desktop Backgrounds with this one are excellent. I figured out how to grab them off the folders and save to another USB stick so I could use them with my Windows boxes too.

the_mystery_man_at_the_park-wallpaper-1680x1050.jpg

vintage_microphone-wallpaper-1680x1050.jpg

armenia_yerevan_botanical_garden-wallpaper-1680x1050.jpg

10. fullonshred

There are many more Backgrounds. All are solid to very good photography and/or digital art, but in some I would like them better had they creator not over-driven the colors as much. On a few (like the last one above) the results are pretty great though.

11. Poodlesrule

Part of me wants stability for daily trouble-free use, i.e. stick with well-honed Ubuntu, Mint, etc.

But another part wants to experience kick-butt novel concepts, not a rehash of the old design schemes...!

That's why I collect old boxes and old tiny SATA drives to try sh*t on (and become victim of poor design decisions by Dell, HP!)

fullonshred likes this.
  12. golem

golem Well-Known Member

These days I prefer Red Hat Enterprise Linux because of stuff that only developers who want to do deployments should care about.

I prefer using KDE on RHEL/Fedora and SUSE (I hate Ubuntu's KDE). On Ubuntu I prefer XFCE for simplicity.

Dislike: Not much really. Obviously not every application is available on Linux, but I don't like MS Office and don't play games, so that takes care of most (not all) of the the issues someone switching from Windows would face compatibility wise.

fullonshred likes this.
  13. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

my wife nuked her new windows laptop with a badly-placed coke cup (technically one of the children did it of course but basically a full fast food coke was slowly poured into the keyboard), i installed neverware cloudready (a chromium) on her older laptop. she's not using it really because of some minor technical hang-up (i think it copies the url of an image rather than the bitmap when you ctrl-c or something?) but if i was pretty impressed with it. i could use that for 90% of my home use (i'm a microsoft-shop software dev so work is different, at least so far).

fullonshred likes this.
  14. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member

Ok 2 questions:
    1) WHats your primary purpose?
    2) what ya got against MINT?

Seriously #1 is really important depending on what you want to do with it, if you want music there are distros out their specifically designed to do music, whether its recording, playing or synthesizing, however if you just want web accvess, that's a different story

I started on Slackware, back when you paid $20 at the computer show for it, because it took up 17 FLOPPIES. But then moved to Red Hat for years, TRIED to like Fedora and never could, so at the same time I was using Mandrake on a different setup, so I moved everything that way. Stayed w/ mandriva all the way to the end, even did some GREAT (if I have to say so myself) work on a self sustaining roll your own bare metal restore DVD, and was ready to realease it to the general public when they filed for RE-ORG the last time, you know the one they never came back from?

So I tried TONS, I loved what they did w/ puppy, ust HATED some of the tools that were defaulted, and setteled on even did the NDA for GOS because they GAVE me a "developers 4GB Pentium Pro level MB and CPU" for it. About on par w/ a RASPI (which I have about 10 of right now)

When I needed something for my desk and my laptop I went to PC-LINUX OS and was in heaven for several years, then THEY started doing the releases every 4 months then 6 months than oops missed one and than I was out the door. They seem like they may be coming back so maybe Ill try them again.

The I settled on MINT. I was in a bad situation needed to boot and run for a weekend in the niddle of nowhere and it came on a cover disc of the Euro mag I bought

been there every since. I try UBU about every 2 or 3 major updates, hate it. scrub it and go back

Honestly Im a writer by desire and a player by need (don't strangle anyone) but I make my $ in IT, and I hate windows, so its tough for me saometimes.

I am running Mint 17 Cinnimon, tralized the other day that 99% of my day I have 4 Terminals open, 2 running file managers, 4 Web Browsers, 1 e-mail client and my word processor.

Otherwise its occasional project work - I just moeved all my music to a NAS music server (Rasberry pi), plan onm moving DVDs the same way next.....

But I don't play games, and I don't record as much music as Id like to.

My suggestion is go buy a dozen USB Keys 32GB each, and burn everything that LOOKS interesting as a LIVE CD to them, play a day and then start weeding through them,

but that's just me

15. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member

fullonshred and WC286 like this.
  16. Poodlesrule

Whew. I went on a Linux kick, installed a bunch on spare drives:
    - KDE Neon (Ubuntu base) to try KDE again
    - Voyager, a good-looking spin off Xbuntu, running XFCE desktop
    - Debian "Sketch", running XFCE because Debian is the mother ship of so many Linux variants

My take:
    Voyager has a very smooth installer, found all hardware right off.
    Debian looks super-solid, but does not include the non-free stuff, so a little digging is needed - my obscure built-in WIFI NIC needed me to install a non-free driver batch.

This is in addition to Mint, the solid daily driver.

An observation: the Voyager/Xbuntu did great on old hardware with pre-UEFI BIOS. Smooth installer, proper drivers ready - good for noobs, poo-pooed by experts... but gets you in the door.

Note: No USB stick here 'cause the machines used did not support it - Dell Inspiron 530S and HP p6700x

fullonshred likes this.
  17. golem

golem Well-Known Member

@mindwave The biggest problem I see with Mint is the security issues it's had over the years.

Edit: You also might not want to use Mint if you're a OSS purist and don't want anything proprietary installed. That's not me though.

If you're doing fancy things that mostly only enterprise level users care about, RHEL is arguable the leading choice. But if you want to be the most familiar with the systems needed for enterprise use, it may behoove you to use RHEL or at least Fedora for personal use. Not saying you couldn't use SUSE or something else, just that they've got a bit of a lead in that game.

I am running Ubuntu in the cloud for a Fast.AI instance via PaperSpace.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 5:13 PM
  18. fullonshred

What do you think is the most secure Linux, that is still not hard on relative noobs?

19. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I don't think I have a great answer for this as it's never been my focus. When I do a google search, I get mostly distributions that I've never heard of let alone tried. Qubes sounds the most interesting me because it sounds as if it's sandboxing everything and let's you use your OS of choice. Edward Snowden recommends it.

fullonshred likes this.
  20. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Im going with Mint on a usb as a newb.