Looking For A Nice Singlecut

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by 8livesleft, Mar 14, 2019 at 9:43 PM.

1. 8livesleft

8livesleft Active Member

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a nice singlecut guitar. One that looks like an LP custom in piano black but lighter, with nice upper fret access. Jumbo frets. Satin neck is a major plus.

In terms of sound, I definitely want a more traditional or warm sound. (all the rodded super les Paul vids so far have been "metal" which I'm not really looking for now). However, it could just simply be as simple as rolling off tone. But I do not want a piercing or brash sound, that's for sure.

I've been looking at Agile but I understand they're as heavy or heavier than Gibson and need to be modded (pups, wires, switches, pots). They're cheaper but are only available in US for some reason, so I need to add about $250 for shipping. Add mods and that brings them to Ltd money.

Next up is ESP/Ltd. There's a nice used 401 being sold for $370 here. There's also this E2 being sold for $1k though it's got flame maple. I've tried a 407 and thought it was nice. They also have this evertune bridge but those are really expensive already.

Then, you have Epiphone Custom. Great looks, definitely more traditional feel and maybe sound. Mostly mahogany, which makes them lighter than Gibson. Decent price new as well.

You also have PRS Singlecut. Maybe Tremont SE? I have an S2, which just wiped the floor with the Gibson Studios I was looking at in Guitar Center. Core models would probably go for $2500?

There are probably other brands I missed but would love to hear your opinions on it.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

Why would the Epi being mahogany make it lighter than Gibson? From what I've always understood, Gibby and Epi Customs have always been mahogany, no maple cap.

tonray likes this.
  3. 8livesleft

8livesleft Active Member

From what I've read, it's the maple that's heavy. I've also tried some Epiphones and they were a pound or so lighter than their gibson counterparts.

CyFan4036 likes this.

4. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Are you in the Philippines currently @8livesleft?
    If I were buying guitars already in the Philippines and wanted a single cut, I'd most likely be considering buying an Edwards from https://www.facebook.com/Collector.Alvin

I don't know him personally and haven't bought from him yet, but know people who have. One of the dirty secrets of PRS is that they can lose a lot of value on the used markets here in the US. The CEs have recently shot up, but there are some older models where deals can be had for core models if you look hard. I don't know about shipping, and I can't volunteer to ferry one for you as it'll likely be May or June before I next go (and I'm a bit worried about being harassed at customs).

manco53 likes this.
  5. 8livesleft

8livesleft Active Member

Yup Philippines. Davao City, way down south.

What's good about Edwards? Haven't heard much about that brand. Are they like Burny, Tokai, Greco?

manco53 likes this.
  6. golem

golem Well-Known Member

@Pratteman might be kind enough to chime in as he's local to me and owns a few.
    They're MIJ or more recently I think MIC with some work done in Japan (like Reverend does with Korean guitars). They use SD pickups, usually a JB/59 on most guitars they have but there are some special models with other pickups. I personally think they're higher quality than vintage Burny and Grecos I've tried in the Philippines.

7. 8livesleft

8livesleft Active Member

Interesting. I just checked online and they seem to have a lot of strat type guitars too.

8. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Edwards are known for hellatiously good quality for a reasonable price! :)

backinit and CyFan4036 like this.
  9. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Indeed. I love PRS, but they're damn near impossible to come by in the Philippines. When I left in 2017, I was told no one had been importing them officially for a few years. This guy does sell them for what I believe to be a reasonable premium over what I find I can get them for in the US.

https://www.facebook.com/PrelovedGuitars/

Never bought from him either.

10. 8livesleft

8livesleft Active Member

JB Music is the AD for PRS but they mostly deal with SE models. You can order but it takes long and again for a big premium.

The Gibson AD is apparently better in terms of pricing. But again selection is the main issue.

The other problem with ADs in my country is aftermarket service. They all suck.

If you have an issue and bring it to them, they'll take weeks or months to figure out what's wrong (even if you already told them), then they'll try to blame you for the issue and ask you to pay for repairs and take forever to fix and return the guitar with the exact same problem and/or a whole new one.

I had the shock of my life when I was in San Francisco last January. I got a PRS S2 standard satin and decided I wanted an S2 custom instead. I called guitar center and they simply said to bring it in, which I did. The guy didn't even check the guitar and issued me a new receipt (cause I misplaced mine), then they credited my account and started processing the custom.

I did the transaction with no receipt.

That would NEVER happen here.

11. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of weighing my Agiles -- so far most are in the Gibson ballpark, and they span a 10-year production run. But a couple of them are pretty light (one AL-3000, and one AL-3200), with both right at 9 lbs (actually weighed on a digital scale, not "estimated"). They're only available in the US and only from one dealer because Agile is the "house brand" of Rondo Music, which is essentially a couple of tin warehouse buildings in New Hampshire.

The 3200 is unique. It's got neck-through construction, a *solid* body, a sculpted neck/body join and a tummy cut. I also have a $4K Gibson Axcess Custom that's set-neck, a chambered, thinner-than-normal-LP body, the sculpted neck heel and the tummy cut. Both have ebony fretboards, real MOP inlays, multi-layer binding on headstock and body. The 3200, however, has a compound radius (12" - 16"), better bridge saddles and nut. The pots on the 3XXX series guitars are just fine and the 10-year-old Agiles work as well as my 10-year-old Gibson. Pickups are a personal thing; I've actually left the pickups alone on most of my Agiles, but they've been swapped out in at least three. One arrived with a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a Sustainer pickup/driver in the neck position. One has a hot '57 ( 9.2Kohm in the bridge and an 18Kohm DiMarzio Fast Track II sharing neck pickup ring space with a sustainer driver. The newest guitar (a 3200) will have Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups installed when I get a round tuit. That's mostly because the previous owner tossed a P-Rail in the bridge and because the Aldrich pickups showed up immediately after I bought the guitar.

The 3-way switch in most of these is just okay, and if I've gotta do other work on them, I'll swap that out just because, and for no really good reason.

On a one-to-one basis, the Agiles I have are far better guitars than any Epi within double the price.

As for shipping to the P-pines, I would note that if you have a serviceman buddy, you might get him to have it shipped to him and then ply him with beer for the favor.

PsychoCid and tobijohn like this.
  12. 8livesleft

8livesleft Active Member

Thanks for the insight on Agile!

I actually have my eye on a black neck thru.

But as good as beers with an American serviceman sounds, I'm afraid I just don't know any.

13. Pratteman

Pratteman Well-Known Member

I have two Edwards LPs and they are every bit as good as my Gibsons and a huge step up from the Epis I've had in the past. There are MIJ and would be easily gigable if I had any talent lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tobijohn likes this.
  14. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I've got a couple Edwards too and would have to agree. And don't get @doc-knapp started on the subject of Edwards...

doc-knapp likes this.
  15. doc-knapp

doc-knapp Well-Known Member

Did someone mention Edwards? LOL

DonM, backinit and tobijohn like this.
  16. 8livesleft

8livesleft Active Member

Really? Never gave Japan les Paul's much thought but I'm reading a lot of good things about Burny, Greco and now Edwards.

Definitely like the name better tho that's for sure. The other one's sound weird.

17. golem

golem Well-Known Member

@8livesleft I feel like the Philippines is paradise for someone who loves MIJ guitars. There seem to be a lot of good options there. Also MIJ Fenders if you like the older style reissue Fenders.

18. 8livesleft

8livesleft Active Member

Well it's true there are lots of Japanese guitars circulating around here.

In fact, there's this Burny Randy Rhoads LP Custom selling for $570.

Thing is tho, they get here in bunches piled together, along with bicycles, car parts, golf clubs, etc... The 2nd hand market has them too. Either way, you really have to try a ton of them out.

But there's also a Tokai AD here. But their stuff is always expensive.

19. golem

golem Well-Known Member

@8livesleft selling equipment in the Philippines isn't fun. 90% of messages are "last price po?" or something to that effect. Never seen the bicyle thing you're talking about. A second-hand shop that specializes in Japanese goods perhaps? I never went to one while I was there. In Manila, there are some second-hand shops that specialize in guitars only. Mostly I bought lots of pickups while I was there.

20. manco53

manco53 Well-Known Member

Yes to Burny and Greco and Edwards