Lost In The Mix.....

Discussion in 'Jam Room' started by rmfroyd, Nov 10, 2018.

1. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

I have been jamming with a group of guys over the last couple months. Usually its just drums bass guitar/guitars, vocals. Same settings on my side everytime, decent bass tone.

Last night we had a keyboardist jam with us. Dude was pretty damn good, hell of a singer as well. The one thing I noticed is that the keyboard and I shared the same frequency spectrum. I couldn't here my bass for shit. This didn't bother me, but it made me think.

In this situation my bass tone was completely 'lost in the mix' but I am still playing the notes, so if there were an audience they would still be hearing the notes as well, but the notes aren't really standing out. So as a bassist, if you want your tone to 'cut through the mix' is it strictly based on Ego, or does the audience benefit from the bass standing on its own?

Not that it matters much for me, the chances of me playing in front of an audience are slim to none.

2. rmfroyd

6148d4f25b88523d3e82ce0e7cfdbfce.gif

Razzle likes this.
  3. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I play keys in a band, and know exactly what you are talking about. Rather than struggle dialing in the optimal mix, I tend to play bass notes sparingly and/or an octave higher than normal. Sometimes I play almost exclusively with the right hand LOL. I hate saturating any particular frequency, which the keys are fully capable of.

rmfroyd likes this.

4. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Theoretically, a keyboard player can cover all of the bass parts in a rock band situation. Ray Manzarek did a pretty good job of it with The Doors.

I'd say that in your situation the onus is upon the keyboard player to "make a hole" for your bass.

tlarson58, backinit and jamdogg like this.
  5. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

Experiment with an EQ pedal? Buy a 5 string.

rmfroyd likes this.
  6. rmfroyd

I know there are ways around it, if I wasnt so lazy, I am just wondering if the audience would notice a difference.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. DominicC

DominicC Well-Known Member

I play keys in a band situation and sometimes I can generate some real thump in the lower notes. I would try having the guy dial down the bass in his eq (amp, effects, wherever).

You might want to point out the issue and maybe if he’s reasonable he will lighten up on the lower register.

rmfroyd likes this.
  8. ronnx

ronnx Well-Known Member

A good example of clarity might be Future Islands where you have a keyboard player, a bassist, a drummer and a vocalist. The bassist carries a lot in this group with defined riffs. Check them out on youtube.

rmfroyd likes this.
  9. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

I can "feel" the bass at some of our free summer concerts - but it's all subwoofer-level. I think: this guy's been playing bass his whole life and the band/sound team relegate him to a thump on the root note?

There's a space down below and you own it. Think of a nice way to ask him to give you some room.

rmfroyd likes this.