NGD Lpb Fender Duo-sonic Hs Added To The Stable

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Flatline, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

I bit the bullet on a Fender Duo-Sonic that Adorama has had on sale and it arrived Thursday. First impressions are good. Out of the box it was not without issues.

Cons:
    First thing I noticed was only one string tree and it had no spacer so the high E and B took a sharp angle out of the back of the nut. Looking online this is done deliberately as all the pics I found of others are the same way. I added a spacer. I may also add a second string tree to D and G strings later.

Second, I noticed some lines next to the 11th and 13th frets. At first I thought they were pencil marks under the finish, but after some closer inspection it’s actually discolored / dirty finish next to the frets. I think it’ll clean up or at least be less noticeable after I clean it with the strings removed.

Third, was missing filler under a couple fret ends leaving tiny little holes. These were like tiny needle tip sized holes. I took a similarly colored tan crayon and rubbed into them making them complete unnoticeable.

Pros:
    The neck is super comfortable to play. Very nice rounded C profile. 24 in scale is easy to play.

The pickups are good so far. No complaints. The push-pull pot is nice for added versatility.

The factory setup was decent. Action low enough but neck had too much relief. I discovered that the rod had little to no tension on it at all. Adjusted to correct it. Now the neck is nearly flat with a hair of relief and plays fantastically with no string buzz or dead frets. Nut was cut well. Action is 4/6th's inch at 12th fret at low E and 3/64th at high E. Intonation is close, but will need slight tweaking when I change the strings. Most strings are reading a little sharp at the 12th with the factory strings.

Love the color. Its a paler blue than I was expecting based on pictures online and that is actually a good thing.

3a3a4118320c8e1e9c598783fae73c9e.jpg

Next to the Squier Bullet Mustang that is very similar, but yet very different.
    7c16b75c69233e3614c91e44b946f975.jpg

Mossman, CyFan4036, DonM and 11 others like this.
  2. Flatline

3. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Is that a Lace neck pickup? I know nothing about these guitars, but looks cool enough!

4. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nice guitar! Enjoy it, love the pickup and color combo on that short scale offset. I’ve got the orange, two single coil variant.

5. Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk Active Member

I think they have the pickup covers without holes, like on the mustang, for the single coils.

6. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Congrats! I love that one!

7. Flatline

Specs just say Duo-Sonic single coil.

I’d love to have an orange body HS with maple neck. Only way to get that would be to do a body swap.

Chocol8 likes this.
  8. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What gauge strings are you going to use on the short scale?

9. Flatline

Arrived with 10s. My mustang has 10s on it. I have a bunch of sets of 10s. I will probably keep 10s on it, but I may try 11s sometime in the future.

10. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

HNGD! Nice color!

11. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Short scale and light strings make it very slinky. I think i had 11,12's or 13's on my Duo sonic. It might be a 22.7" scale though.

Believer and Flatline like this.