Major Life Change Guys!

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by chimi42, May 15, 2018.

1. chimi42

chimi42 Well-Known Member

The last few years we've slept on a mattress that's been less than stellar. Funny story we bought it out of a warehouse in which kids were practicing basketball...

Anyways- for the money we really didn't complain. Lately though i've been noticing more creaks and noises whenever we move around. So we bought a new mattress and a new steel box spring from Amazon. I just put the box spring together and MAN what a difference!

The last few nights of sleep have been significantly better on the new mattress, i imagine the upgrade with the box spring will really mitigate the number of times i wake up or i wake my wife up when i get up at night and she doesn't have to hear the noises coming from the bed.

2. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

Congrats, as a good nights sleep is priceless....
    I track my sleep habits via my Samsung GearFit2 and Jawbone UP24
    and find if I average about 3hrs of Deep Sleep a night I have a much better day and more energy the following day.

I don't cut corners on a good mattress/box spring(Stearns & Foster) and good foot wear(Merrell)
    as I need a good night sleep and good foot wear to be able to average 20,000+ steps a day,,,

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  3. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

GREAT ADVICE! We have a new one since around Jan, I think... took awhile to get used to it, but I love it now.

I have another to add if it's ok, because my life changed in a major way this weekend too - important if you are 50+
    and say like an office jockey or something.

if your 75 year-old dad harangues you until you promise to help him drag an old hot water tank up from the basement of his rental property MAKE SURE YOU GET A BEAD on how much it weighs before you bend way over and go all "HULK LIFT" on it. He already had it near the stairs on a furniture dolly, so I never really had any idea how heavy it was.

one... two... three... LIFT! AAARRGGGGHHHHHHH

I totally blew out my lower back for the first time in my life, and spent two days pretty much immobile this weekend, because moving in any direction resulted in sheer agony. Seems like I am on the mend because I can sort of shuffle around right now
    but can't put my own pants on or socks or whatever... but I think maybe in a day or two I will be independent again.
    Jesus, even the thought of sitting down or getting up gives me the sweats -because dang it hurts - once I'm down, it's ok.
    I basically laid on alternating bags of frozen corn, frozen peas for 48 hours -

Sheesh. That tank must have weighed five hundred pounds. We got it up ONE step onto the landing. LOL
    I told my pop, there's plenty of young guys want to show off and lift that sucker up. Not me, no way, nohow. DONE.

so, lift with the legs, or if its too heavy, don't even try.

Tsukiyomi, adad, MattS and 2 others like this.

4. pirate19

pirate19 Well-Known Member

So whose pants are you wearing? :ROFLMAO: Seriously though, hope the back feels better, @tvvoodoo (y)

tvvoodoo likes this.
  5. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Prayers for you Brother. And more to come. Sorry for your suffering and hope you are 100% recovered, and soon!

tvvoodoo likes this.
  6. jam

jam Well-Known Member

The trick is to let all of the water out first...

Tsukiyomi, Poodlesrule and tvvoodoo like this.
  7. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

In Thailand most apartments come with some minimal furniture which usually includes a desk, chair and a bed (frame and mattress). the mattresses provided are usually filled with some combo of foam and straw and usually weigh literally 200 lbs plus. Just lifting the corners to get on a fitted sheet is a challenge...and they are usually hard as a rock. I have become used to it but whenever I travel and there is like a pillowtop quality mattress in the hotel....I never want to leave.

I look forward to moving into a house in the next couple of years and a proper bed !

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  8. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

Did y’all drain the water first? If not that is why could have weighed a ton.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  9. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

Nice NBD!.

Sleep is important

Well, I did not get much of a great feeling by getting a new bed, last year. Nice queen size Stearns & Foster, but it is just OK to me. Was "extra firm", but in use, it is not.
    I returned a new Sealy, just before, as the thing sagged in less than a month!

Upon inspection the so-called "foundations" are made of cheap thin wood, sometimes warped - I Iooked. I can guess where these were sourced an made. You tell how shitty they are by lifting them: weighs nothing!
    Dumb me, I should have kept the old 35-year old foundation from the old S&F.

My original Sealy idea was because we have another Sealy bed, bought by late MIL some years ago that is just so incredibly comfortable! I tried to match this older line with the current production, no go, sadly.

Buyer beware... and keep a liner on for easier returns!

EDIT: I just did notice the thread title, and giggled for a few seconds... there are OTHER types of major life changes lurking out there...!

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  10. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Water was drained - we have very hard water in our are lots of trace elements so our tanks get sediments and the heat coil rods cake up with iron bigly -this was an extremely old tank guessing 30 years -put my own socks on this morning!

jam likes this.
  11. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

We just got a new Serta iComfort Blue Max 1000 (sounds like a rocket ship, no? Or something you
    plug your iphone into) It's one of those super cool-to-the-touch memory foam things and O-M-G....it's
    NICE. And stays so cool it's amazing. Haven't slept like that in decades. It was pricey, but we figured
    it would last till we're both dead.....and we owed it to ourselves. We love it.....

tonebender and Tsukiyomi like this.
  12. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Oi, you sound like you're coming down my road.

Might be sciatica which itself is a symptom and will go away 90% of the time. Don't push it when it hurts but as soon as possible get active again. Walking and core exercises help strengthen the spinal support too.

Feel better soon.

13. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

we've been using a GhostBed mattress on our storage bed (no box spring) for about a year now. All-foam and surprisingly firm. It took a good week or two for me to get used to - a little longer for my wife.

Now we're both fans. I like their pillows too

14. thepezident

thepezident Well-Known Member

9ca22494b1e8c1378b02541c60a83548._.jpg

mighty_duck, Tsukiyomi and chimi42 like this.
  15. Snare227

Snare227 Well-Known Member

We need an upgrade as well, and I've been putting it off due to my own ignorance in mattress shopping. So many options that sound similar and I don't know what I'm looking for honestly.

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  16. chimi42

chimi42 Well-Known Member

The reason i ended up getting this mattress was simple. My mom actually takes care of an older gentleman, when i was visiting i was chatting with him and sat on his bed. He mentioned he recently bought a new mattress at a local store. The cost was less than that of a new epiphone (it's one of those tempur pedic types). The reason for the price was the store was going out of business. So i made sure i placed an order for the same thing with them.

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  17. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Good bed a must. Good pillows too.
    And my blanky. Gots to have my blanky.
    With one foot sticking out or in as a temperature control.

We tried the Mypillow since mid- Dec. 2016; got the firmest stuffed one you can order.
    Like it a lot, but always use 2 or 3 pillows in some combination or other.

Screwing up your back SUCKS at any age, doing it as I get older just adds to the list of aches and pains that come and go with different activities, the weather, standing with an AL 2000 for 2+ hours, etc.

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  18. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

I cannot do memory foam,drive me crazy after a few minutes. I feel trapped!
    MIL bought a twin quality one for her assisted living accommodation, we ended it up with it as a spare, not for me, pas
    I also want my feather pillows.!
    My sister in Europe, like most folks there are into foam pillows, for fear of diseases in the feathers... someone in the industry pushed that idea through, I guess?
    I sleep like crap every time I spend a night at her place, foam mattress, foam pillow, bleh...

19. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

A Good Nights sleep is a must or you will die!

backinit, despiadado and Tsukiyomi like this.
  20. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

We ponied up about 3 years ago. It made a huge difference going new and buying what fit us.

Perfect Stranger likes this.