NAD Marshall Avt20 (valvestate 2000 Series)

Discussion in 'Amps' started by honyock, Aug 12, 2019 at 8:39 PM.

1. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

I picked up a Marshall AVT20 in excellent condition except for some scratchy pots and the reverb pot is a bit touchy. I think a little DeoxIt will fix that.

Surprised how well put together it is, even if it is MDF. It is seriously sturdy and bigger than most 1x12 combos.

I quite like it, despite the less than glowing reviews out there. It definitely sounds better cranked on the clean channel. The OD channel is way too much when you get past about 10 o'clock when at low volume settings, but once you hit 12 o-clock it starts to maginally come to life and the buzzy overdrive becomes musical again. It actually sounds pretty much like my DSL40C I got rid of (mostly because it was too big). Maybe a blue retrovalve will tame it a bit (and make it fully solid state..., tried it, it doesn't work. Must be too low voltage or something, only makes sound when you really hit it, and sounds like a bit-crusher type pedal).

I can't believe how much bigger than the 15w Lead 15 I used to have sounds (when played as a 1x10 as I often did). That big closed back cab really lets the 10" move some air.

Overall, I'm thinking the cork sniffers probably poo poo'd this amp a bit unfairly. For a practice amp, it sounds dang good, but it doesn't sound great playing at "bedroom" levels with the OD engaged. It probably would get drowned out in a band setting trying to keep up (not that I have to worry about that...). Playing a bit past half way on the volume with the gain anywhere between 9 o'clock and 1 o'clock cranked in my large vaulted ceiling living room however it sounds quite impressive and covers everything from classic rock to punk tones pretty convincingly.

I already swapped in my WGS Vet 10 speaker that I had previously used with my Marshall Lead 15 mini stack prior to selling it. It made a noticeable improvement there and it is not a disappointment in this amp either. I think the big cabinet lets it sing even more than the little extension cabinet the Lead 15 had.

Part of the reason I bought it is that I was thinking the nice closed back cabinet would make a great extension cabinet for my Vox MV50 Rock. I will add a switching jack and jack plate to allow me to use it as such. I have done something similar with my Monoprice 15w amp, though I used just a simple jack instead of the switching jack since it already had the extension cabinet jack. I want to keep the closed back sealed a bit better so I think moving the jack to the back of the chassis and having a speaker cable run internal where it currently is would work the best. Instead of cutting out the speaker with the jack is engaged it would just cut out the amp.
    Marshall AVT20.jpg
    Bonus: cool Jensen at the Benz dealer when I went to pickup a part I had ordered.
    Jensen Interceptor.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 1:10 PM
  2. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Very nice....

3. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

Congrats!

I have an AVT50 that is my studio practice amp, high gains at low volumes, effects loop, does all the basic stuff I need it to. The AVT playing live with a band is kinda harsh, I have not gotten a good crunch out it for that. But for practice it's simple and does a great job for me.

honyock likes this.