Meta Agf Commentary; Short Version: Thanks

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by voodoorat, Mar 12, 2018.

1. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

I dunno who else here is just kind of a living room dabbler who plays mostly as a way to turn mild OCD into (also mild) self-improvement, but I gotta say it's really nice coming from that angle to find someplace like this. There's a wealth (almost overwhelming amount really) of knowledge about musicianship, technical know-how, and the various crafts and skills associated with guitar playing--everything from sorta hobbyists, part-time craftsmen, and gigging musicians. The community aspect is also impressive, many of you guys know one another personally, and it's not a knock on the place to say that everybody acts like a grown-up (I think in part because the average age is probably a little higher than many message boards)--which isn't to say the banter can't also be funny in a more juvenile-but-fun way. I mean there is obviously a lot of history to this place and not everybody are friends (every once in a while that crops up), but it sure seems to work.

I know I'm trying and learning a lot of new things as a result of the conversations that I've read (and sometimes been a part of) on here. So yeah, I just wanted to say thanks for answering my dumb questions and laughing at some of my dumb jokes.

I also kind of snuck in here in the dark of night, so by way of a more formal introduction: My name is John, I live in north Atlanta, I'm 44 and have been playing since I was 14 but that dramatically overstates the amount of time I've actually been working on my playing since much of that 30 years was spent playing maybe a few hours a month. At this point, I would love to play with people although I don't really know anybody in the narrow band that is most fun to play with (comparable skill to myself--not too much worse or too much better), trying to get one of my buddies to play a little more and teach him some tricks so I'll have a partner in crime. Professionally, I'm a software developer in the healthcare IT industry. We have 4 young-ish children (oldest is 13, youngest is 5, and those two both have autism and the other two are neurotypical). I accumulated a few guitars over the years but never really had GAS until the last few years, when the stable contents jumped from 3 or 4 guitars (with one on loan) to over a dozen--have sold and bought a few in the interim though, I think I have 11 now? I think I stumbled into this place just searching for information on my old Peavey and found a thread about a similar guitar.

tldr: Thanks to the admins and the members for running and inhabiting this place, respectively. It's big enough but not too big.

2. stevebway

stevebway Well-Known Member

Welcome and , you GET it !
    I think you're right about the demographic but it is also a diverse community . I think community is what defines internet communications and it's nice that a parent of a millennial can also have a home here.The whole vibe here suits me. I've learned a lot and also have received the kind of ongoing motivation that leads to actually getting the skills required to make good judgments , buying decisions and the skills that lead to DOING good work and not just reading about it.

needhelp and voodoorat like this.
  3. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you, voodoorat. I also want to say that you folks of a more mature age do a fantastic job at imparting your wisdom and make us young guys feel welcome as well. I do blame you for all the "investments" that will continue to go into gear throughout the years, though :p

Gotta buy it all before I get married, right? ;) ;) ;)

voodoorat and NoStratsPlease like this.

4. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

i'm 30, if that helps :p

yeah this is a special little corner of the internet. this was the first forum i ever joined/fully participated in, and it definitely distorted my expectations of the format. i've tried joining a few others here and there, but few if any have the same vibe or sense of community.

AGF has thoroughly enhanced my experience as a guitar player/enthusiast

5. warped

warped Well-Known Member

There aren't many places on the innerwebs like this one. I guess that's why I like it here too. I bought my first Agile in Dec. 2012 and signed up shortly after, that's when shit got out of control.......now I have about 20 guitars.

6. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Well, John, I grew up a few miles north of you in Fannin County back in the 1950's. In that area back then
    you knock on anyone's door with a guitar in your hand and someone would bring out a guitar, banjo, mando, fiddle, etc.
    and (hopefully) teach a young kid something. I'm still trying to master this thing and this forum is the closest I've
    found to that experience I had back in the 1950's in Fannin County. Everyone here has an instrument and can probably
    teach you something you didn't know. Great place to kill time. :)

7. thepezident

thepezident Well-Known Member

Do they make gherkins that are not sweet?

67d06b5249f7970ed58b79a4996ab979.png

tonray and voodoorat like this.
  8. needhelp

needhelp Well-Known Member

Big question: humbuckers or single coils?

Welcome to the site. You seem like a nice person. Nice people are welcome here. Well, everybody is but somehow just the nice ones stay.

9. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Welcome voodoorat, nice intro but I see no pictures of your imaginary guitars (someone had to)

PsychoCid and viccortes285 like this.
  10. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm not a young kid any more, either, but I wonder if it's too late to try going up and down the street knocking on doors with a guitar in hand just to see what happens.
    Anybody want to take the dare?

Welcome to the forum, Son.

11. ronnx

ronnx Well-Known Member

Welcome John!:D

12. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Dilly Dilly!

Greetings.

13. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

You know, this is actually a good question... I have always thought I preferred single coils and I think I do, but it occurred to me last night that the guitars I have with the best pickups in them are all single coil guitars (MiA Strat w/ '69 fender CS pups, MFD pups in the G&L S-500, and to a lesser extent the Peavey and Telecaster (now anyway)) whereas my humbucker guitars are just the stock Agile ones and the stock PRS SE ones (and before I sold my old 80's Washburn, the Washburn stock pickups). I think the next order of business when I build up the bravery has to be swapping out the stock pickups on the 3010SE or the PRS SE C24 to compare apples to apples.

I've posted them before but not for a while, here's the up-to-date stable less the ones I sold (far too lazy to link them all): https://photos.app.goo.gl/PsHTyhdfYosmDTml1

(here's the ones I've unloaded in the past few months: https://photos.app.goo.gl/uqNsRPMOZPImKswk1)

tvvoodoo likes this.
  14. warped

warped Well-Known Member

Nice collection....

voodoorat likes this.
  15. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Get out there and jam. Put an ad in CL or at the music store or whatever is local to you. Be honest about your ability and music interests. Throw it all against the wall and see what sticks. I've met great people and helped out and gave a boost to some that weren't up to my speed and others that gave me a good push on my journey when able to. And its ok to keep it rotating it may stabilize within a small group but you'll probably do better and have even more fun if it churns a bit.