Metallica Medley - SORTA

Discussion in 'Jam Room' started by Narsh, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

I just finished watching "Through The Never" and figured I'd pay tribute to one of my biggest influences ever.

I remember buying all of the metallica/wolf marshall cherry lane books on a trip to New York when I was 13-14 years old. I learned every song from every album and that basically taught me the basics.

While I was never a huge Kirk Hammet fan and to this day I don't know why James and Lars deal with his off key bends and horrific vibrato, not to mention the usual slew of mistakes (Love ya Kirk) - he is part of their sound and I respect him for that.

Anywho... I had some fun mutating some of my favorite riffs and memorable solos. See if you can pick out a few.. ;)

Metallica Medley - NARSH

2. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Tyler not here. Tyler gone. And and by Tyler, I mean the track you linked.

3. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

Huh? You lost me...

4. Frankenfretter

Frankenfretter Well-Known Member Supporting Member

First of all, I loved it. But, if you're going to do a Metallica trib piece, it should last at least 13 minutes.
    Well done, sir.

fullonshred likes this.
  5. fullonshred

It was a Fight Club reference. When I click on your link I get.....

a Big Orange Ball that says......

"Oh No"

and below that......

"Sorry! We can't find that track.
    Did you try to access a private track, but were not logged in?
    Maybe the track has been removed."

6. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm it's working ok...

https://soundcloud.com/narsh/metallimedley

7. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

i've never been much of a metallica fan either, but my roommate in college worshipped them so a lot of that sounded familiar at least. writing your own solo is one thing, but how do you go about learning something that fast and complex? i always thought people could do that know their theory or something. i never know where to start

8. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Very nice! I was a big Metallica fan right till the Black Album came and that was such a letdown I hardly ever listened to 'em since.

I never regarded Kirk as much of a guitarist - he always seemed to me just tapping over the same pentatonics all the time. Some documents and live gigs I've seen him play in rehearsals etc. it's often been pretty much facepalm stuff even. And I understand he really doesn't play much anything but solos and a few riffs on any of their albums either, with more and more parts each album right till Load which they said themselves to be the first album where they actually both play about equal amounts of guitar and Kirk started playing also rhythm...and that was the biggest reason their sound and style changed so much towards rock from thrash/metal...Hetfield basically did most of the guitars on the first couple albums. But then again Ulrich isn't exactly the most accurate drummer either, yet he has quite a distinctive sound and style both in good and bad. Anyway I always thought Metallica is basically Hetfield and the others just follow his lead the best they can.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

9. almightybunghole

almightybunghole Well-Known Member

Great playing. Only solo I could pick out was at 50 seconds. Sounds like something from Justice, but can't remember which... Is it One?

10. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

I didn't replicate much note for note - I morphed it to fit... There were bits of battery, One, Fade to Black, For whom the bell tolls, and Kill EmAll Stuff.

As for Kirk, his best work IMO is on the Justice Album. ALthough, seeing a lot of Kirk over the years, I can bet there were a lot of overdubs.

Zisme, compared to a lot of bands, Metallica is extremely simple.

nrussell23 likes this.
  11. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

i was more trying to make a general statement about learning other people's solos. i don't think i have the attention span much less the skill for it most of the time.

my band used to play for whom the bell tolls as a closer, and definitely for that song there isn't much to do for lead guitar. but we did the first half or so of fade to black into one of our songs back during our first couple of shows and that intro destroyed me at the time. those were some of the most nerve racking live moments i can recall. you'll hear no kurt hate from me lol

oh and i like the black album. sad but true is probably my favorite riff (if not song) from them

12. almightybunghole

almightybunghole Well-Known Member

This.
    I don't really write any music, never recorded anything (that wasn't nuked when my gf reinstalled XP back in the daaay), so all I play is metal covers pretty much, and can never sit down and really learn a full solo. I've gotten a little bit of Death down, I can do the Crystal Mountain solo, but that's about it.

13. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

I used to.... Waaaaaaaay back when.
    Specially with Satch and Vai stuff. Its when I got to Dream Theater that I found myself not being able to rembmer a lot of sections. Much less play them note for note.

14. fullonshred

Werid. Still getting the same thing. I will clear my cookies and try again.[hr]
    I cleared cookies, tried several different browsers..... still no go. Wonder if my AV is causing it, though I haven't changed it.

15. fullonshred

Switched computers and could listen again. Good stuff. Now I gotta figure out what is "off" on my othger system.

Kirk gets slammed a lot, but I like the way his stuff sounds in relation to the songs and that is the main thing for me.

And of course perspective is a biggie. I was a member of a "friends of the band" type forum and commented how much I loved some of Steve Vai's stuff. The lead guitarist for that band told me "Oh Vai is really not that difficult to emulate. He is really good, but he doesn't do anything that is hard to figure out".

"Fine for you", I thought. : )

16. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

I agree. Kirk fits Metallica perfectly and his studio playing is great. Most if not all of his solos are extremely memorable.
    Technically Kirk is just not there but one can argue technicality is not everything. Still, his live playing is horrific. Off key bends, amateurish vibrato and flat out stupid mistakes kill his credibility. (Did you hear his guest appearance with NIN)
    Vai is on a totally different level. Both technically and musically. I do believe that vai is not for everyone. But as a guitarist and musician, Doctor Vai is aeons ahead of Kirk. But, in a band context, Kirk is easier to listen to simply because Metallica as a whole is an awesome Metal band.
    At the end of the day it's all about taste.

17. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

That I have to agree with too, I'd much rather listen to Metallica than Vai.

18. bleys21

bleys21 Well-Known Member

Very cool.

And add me to all the folks having problems learning other peoples solos...just a royal pain in my ass right now, extremely frustrating. If I get the notes right, I can't get the timing...always end up having to "re-write" some sections to allow for my lack of ability. :)

19. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

Each artist has their moments for me. I go through phases where I can't listen to any vai song and there are others when it's on non stop for days. Whatever inspires me at the moment.

As for learning solos and songs in general... Since I am self taught it's what I know works. Learning the notes is I one thing, the timing is another, then the little nuances each player has. Once you have it down, then own it and make It your own.

Check this video out by Guthrie Govan. It demonstrates exactly that.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaIzEo013iI

20. yesca

yesca New Member

I heard a few hints there. I feel close to the same way Narsh feels about Hammett. His solos are mostly frantic and he has nervous sounding bends too. He fits within the context somehow. It's hard for me to explain it. He's the man for the job...period