NGD #metoo, I Got Me A Liquid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Powertrip240, Sep 5, 2018.

1. STACKS

STACKS Well-Known Member

congrats on the trade, you did real good

as soon as I saw the pics of the inside of the guard I thought, "ain't nothin stock in there"

Powertrip240 likes this.
  2. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

Thats a nice one. I like the black 3-way. ( oh, yeah!)

Had a Liquid on the operating table today, myself.

Powertrip240 and voodoorat like this.
  3. jam

jam Well-Known Member

I like those. And their dogears are really quite good too.

4. Powertrip240

Powertrip240 Well-Known Member

I've used a handful of different GFS humbuckers for different guitar in the past, and was always very pleased. This is my first set of GFS P90's. I'm sure they're up to par with the rest of the GFS family.

5. Powertrip240

So in order to make the rewiring job a little easier, I decided to remove the neck. Look what I found.

IMG_0464 2.JPG IMG_3893.JPG

Looks like a ghetto-shim. It makes me wonder why?? Before disassembly, the setup on the guitar was not ideal. The action was too low, to the point of fret buzz. The stop bar was dropped all the way to the body, and the TOM bridge was almost all the way down. Now, I like my action as low as possible, but this was not good. I did notice that the neck had a teensy bit of bow to it, so initially I just figured it needed a bit of truss rod adjustment. I'm hoping that's still the case. I'm thinking (hoping) the previous "luthier" didn't know what the hell he was doing, so I WILL NOT be putting this ghetto-shim back ion when I re-assemble it. *fingers crossed*

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  6. Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Hey, congrats on the score especially with those pickups you got! I hope you get everything sorted out and set up properly! These are such great guitars! I need to get one of the 3 pickup ones.

Powertrip240 likes this.
  7. Powertrip240

Thanks! It's a pretty good score. I think it's going to be another refinishing project eventually.....

Did you ever get an answer from the dude on CL with the Liquid you were looking at?

8. Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Yeah he wont really budge on price. If I were local I would try to offer him a trade for it as he is accepting trades.

9. toopicky

toopicky Well-Known Member

Looks like someone worked over that neck pocket and maybe went too far and had to shim it back up a bit.

10. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Congrats and Enjoy!
    I get a vibe from my Liquid to learn some Cheap Trick songs.
    I can just see Rick Nielsen playing one...

Jaymo likes this.
  11. jhull54

jhull54 Well-Known Member

HNGD!

Is the neck stable? J/K man. Nice git, and looks like some detective work to do to find all the "upgrades" the last dude did on it!

12. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I used 330k pots in my P90 equipped (Epi P90 Pro) Furrian, because I read that's what Gibson used to use, and I really love the sound of that guitar! It's my #1 at the moment.

I have a set of Gibson P90s looking for a guitar to go in, and I'll probably try 500k pots to see how that sounds, but I'm afraid they might lose the nice mid-range punch that they have with 330k.

13. Powertrip240

OK, I need some help.

I got everything put back together last night. I got the truss rod adjusted, the intonation set, and the action set. All in all, it's pretty much perfect! I was highly impressed! However, when I rewired it and put the pickguard back in, I found the neck and middle pickup sound great, but the bridge pickup is very weak. I'm suspecting the fault to be in my wiring. I only had one 500k audio pot available, and it's a dime-sized pot that came out of another guitar. I wired everything per a Seymour Duncan diagram for a 3 single coil strat. However, admittedly, this is my first time using pickups with braided shield like these. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the shield, as well as the ground wire, all get soldered together on the back of the volume pot. Was I mistaken? Being that the volume pot is dime-sized, it made for a difficult solder with the mass of wires and shields all coming together in such a small area. I'm going to open it back up and take another look.

Do I need to do something else with the braided shield?

14. Powertrip240

It certainly appears that way. However when I put the neck back on, I left the shim out. I had the do some tweakage to the truss rod, but it's all set up great now.

Thanks! Yeah, so far I'm really digging this onee!

Yeah, I don't know what the hell that was all about.

I think I may have to try some 330k pots! Thanks.

Mossman likes this.
  15. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Man, I hate wiring a three pickup guitar. I've never gotten one right the first time. I had a problem wiring three lipsticks once, and after much aggravation the fix involved lifting the ground on the center pickup. I still haven't figured that out schematically, but it worked. So see what happens when you lift the ground (I'm talking about the braided shield here) on the weak pickup.

16. Powertrip240

Yeah, I feel your pain! I did get it figured out earlier today. I decided to try something different with pots. I put a 500k linear pot in the volume, and a 250k pot in the tone. After putting it back together, it sounded marvelous!! I don't know if it was the pots, or f-ed up wiring, or both. Either way, it's working great now.

Mr. Leyvatone likes this.
  17. Powertrip240

I shielded the cavities as well. And did a little change-a-roo on the knobs and switch tip.

IMG_0745.JPG IMG_6310.JPG IMG_2263.JPG

Mr. Leyvatone likes this.
  18. Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Did you make sure to shield the back of the pickguard too? How is the difference in hum before and after you shielded?

19. Powertrip240

No, I didn't shield the back of the pickguard. I ran out of shielding tape! LOL I need to order more. I got a 6 foot roll of 2" tape when I was refinishing my ESP project. I thought 6 feet would last a while. I was wrong! I didn't even have enough to do a good job on the Liquid. However, I did notice a difference with the tape job. There is still some hum, but not as much. I want to finish it with some more tape and see if it helps more.

20. Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Just make sure you overlap some and make it come over the top of the guitar a little bit where it wont be visible under the pickguard but where it makes contact with the pickguard when it is shielded. I think they call it a faraday cage when you do this.

Powertrip240 likes this.