Minimalism How Scary Is It?

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Fat Jack, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

Having decided some time ago I just need to thin the herd,I've been procrastinating selling. I just went through my closet again and feel embarrassed. Counting what's on stands and out I have 10 guitars and 5 amps with 1 cab. Honestly only 3 guitars and 2 amps are used regularly 1 guitar and one amp see occasional use.What gets used is an al3100 the ad 2250 and the Ibby as83going into the 2 monoprices. Rarely do i use the al3010 or the hotone amp with headphones. I have a vox pathfinder that stays under the bed and a fender 25 watt ss amp with ragin cajun that is untouched in the garage.Outside of what I usually pick up and the hotone I honestly wouldn't miss the other gear if it disappeared today.What got me really looking hard at this stupid behavior of mine is watching 5 watt world. He posed the question 'what do you need to be productive?' LOL actually those 3 guits and amps do everything I need . I don't gig so I don't need a backup and sure don't need 3 LP types that pretty much do the same things just look different.Just can't figure out why I have trouble letting go of stuff thats just taking up space. Anyone else with this issue?

2. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

Hoarder thread.

tonray likes this.
  3. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Shucks, I'd have to thin the herd two or three times to get down where you are now!

4. rgdave

rgdave Well-Known Member

Same issue here. I think I have 17 guitars intact and at least 3 on the bench being updated, messed up, whatever my poor skill set will produce. Too many amps as well....it's SO hard to let the unplayed ones go. Maybe we need to form a Charleston Hoarders Club!
    Best of luck to all of us with this affliction/joy!

DonM, sabasgr68 and peskypesky like this.
  5. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I have 11 guitars right now. It's way more than I need as a hobbyist. I do actually cycle through gear pretty often as I find that more enjoyable than collecting. I tend to either keep guitars that I find really exceptional, or gear that I think the market really undervalues. I know for a fact I could get down to two guitars (gifts from my wife) and one amp (the Gibson Rob modded extensively) if I really had to. But unless something happens that requires me to get rid of everything, I probably won't. Even if I took a job abroad, I'd likely sell less gear than I just mentioned.

6. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

I keep considering it. I have 12 or so electrics and one acoustic that never gets touched. I play most of the electrics except for a couple. Only have one amp at home. The others are at my brothers and he uses them, but just bought a Katana. Just picked up another electric, but have not decided yet if it is staying. If I keep it, going to purge a couple. And I only play at home. Maybe sit in once or twice a year.

sabasgr68 likes this.
  7. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

I was up to 14 with one on the way. I sold a Squier Mini earlier this week. Next on the chopping block in my Squier Bullet Mustang that was made redundant by the Duo-Sonic. I have a couple others I may list on FB Marketplace but probably won't dip below 10. I generally only part with guitars as I find better replacements for what I have.

sabasgr68 likes this.
  8. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have 14 and just sold one amp leaving just the katana 100 1/12
    I'm in the process of cleaning them up and doing whatever repairs they may need so many of them can be sold. I'm determined to get down to 3 at most mainly because I need more room in the man cave and so I can buy another if I cant resist the gas for something new. I just don't see the point in having guitars gathering dust because I don't play them.

sabasgr68 likes this.
  9. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

I think great forums like this one wouldn't exist if we all just bought what we "need" versus what we want, because the way things are now even a cheapie guitar can be perfectly suitable for any application. The way I see it, unless you're being stupid with your finances and spending beyond your means, have at it and enjoy. I probably have about 20ish guitars, and I could more or less grab any 2 of them and that would be perfectly sufficient for gigging/studio sessions/etc...but I really enjoy what I have and have a lot of fun with the variety of axes in the stable.

I've downsized a bit (I was never in @tobijohn territory but I had well over 30 guitars at some point), and the rest of what's left while maybe being superfluous a bit given the rest of what I have...I know I'd regret losing them because I would probably never be able to get them again (various custom builds, guitars that I bought used where someone sunk a ton of cash into upgrades, stainless steel refrets, etc).

So what I do instead is I make a conscious effort to cycle through them. I'll play one guitar for 2-3 days, then I'll move on to the next one. Along the way I discover lots of different tones, certain stuff that I play will sound better to me on certain guitars versus others, etc. It stimulates me to play more, write more, and just overall enjoy this passion of mine more than I probably would if I was just rockin' the same 1-2 guitars for years.

10. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

Hoarding is GOOD....Gordon Gekko LOL

These days, I still have GAS, but it's very well controlled.

sabasgr68, andrewsrea and Believer like this.
  11. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Guitars I "Need" To Keep

1- Acoustic (Takamine Acoustic Electric)
    2- 1 Classic (Heritage H170Cm double cut)
    3- 1 LP Style With A2s (Kraken Legion 3)
    4- 1 Strat Style (any 1 of my 3 Peavey Predators)
    5- 1 Semi-hollow (Agile AS1000)
    6- 1 Full Hollow Electric (Douglas WNO640)
    7- 1 Shredder w/Floyd Rose (Charvel by Jackson 5fx)
    8- 1 BC Rich Bich (every man needs a Bich)
    9- 1 Shredder w/Active Pups (LTD H330)
    10- 1 Classical (Jasmine JC27 CE with Fishman Electronics)
    11- 1 Stupid Bass (GTX Hot Pank Jackson Style)

So, I have about 14-15 Guits I could ditch and still pretty much have everything covered.

They are in the way. But I like every single one of them, and bought them all on "deals" at what I consider low prices for what they are.

And the big kicker is, I hate dealing with people and the accompanying aggravation and at this point the money I would get would in no way offset the negatives of selling/trying to sell any of them.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    sabasgr68, Believer and tonray like this.
  12. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I always think of equivalency in a life of limited resources. I have never owned more than 3 guitars at one time simply because a: I never really had time or urge to play more than that, and b: The resources that would be allocated to more than that could be used for other things.

I always set budgets in different categories so the guitar budget is a subset of the entertainment budget, which includes travel, dining out, miscellaneous things I drool over but do not really need, etc etc. Keeping the guitars to 3 at a time leaves more of the budget for other endeavors that help me find some balance in life.

I have existed for the past 5 years overseas largely with only 1 acoustic with a couple of months of Strat ownership thrown in. Largely due to my transient living situations but soon to be remedied as I move into permanent house in October. Then the 3 guitar rotation starts anew.

13. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'd have to thin the herd by 95% to get down to where @Fat Jack is now. To put things in perspective, I've got over four times that many pickup swaps still to do. I had a blast getting here but with these kinds of numbers, it's become overwhelming and lately it's been very difficult to find the motivation to know even where to begin getting things done...

14. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

I only play four guitars regularly and I only count the ones I play regularly. Therefore, I only have 4 guitars. Trust me, the logic is sound.

15. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I am currently ringing-in my herd's new downward trend with the purchases of a new FF338, and a new B-stock Callisto STD+.

Its all relative. Thanks TJ.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 8:37 PM
    sabasgr68 and tonray like this.
  16. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

i've sold all 21 of my guitars.

why?

15316c6cffa128b9c72e269bb9db8ec6.png

tlarson58 and LongBlackTie like this.
  17. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

you still have the best avatar on the nets.

peskypesky likes this.
  18. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Never trust anyone married to a Cardassian.

images.jpeg

19. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

BatUtilityBelt, tobijohn and tonray like this.
  20. mighty_duck

mighty_duck Well-Known Member