More Doggie Mojo Requested And Advice

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by nomadh, May 2, 2018.

1. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Our 8 yr old fem chihuahua x jrt mix is having kidney failure and pancriatitis. She was sick and mopey for a few days and another dog seemed to also for 2 days both threw up some 1 day. 1 got better but our little Blancita didnt so we took her in and she had a kidney measure of 12 when normal is 1.4 (urea acid maybe). They put her on IV drip and the 12 has moved down 2 pts then 1 then slower but her Panc numbers have shot up from normal to 2x to 3x normal. Seems the kidneys wont work well enough to filter what the pancrias is sending possibly. Its been a week now and in some ways she seems great now. Eating, walking, no 1 and 2.
    But the kidney number s are still around 5.5 We are $3k in now and I don't want to loose the dog and really don't want to spend 3k to loose the dog. This is the dog that got my wife through cancer, chemo, enlarged heart and diabetes. She is looking into dialysis and kidney transplants. She cant see the 40% success rate, the infection control, the 2 x a day steroids at $30 a day ($11k a yr), Special diet, extra possible surgeries, constant blood tests. not to mention the 3k for dialysis to get to the 8k kidney plus taking a kidney out of our other dog or another still doner dog that we then need to adopt.
    I'm hoping for a more holistic non western, non chopshop, pill you till they kill you answer.
    I've been looking at milkthistle, liver if the anemia gets worse. Maybe yarrow?
    Bone broth. I did have a 15 yr old terrier that was at deaths door and we went to a mostly liver diet and she rebounded completely and lived to a very healthy over 20. Hoping to find a good answer.
    Thanks

2. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Well-Known Member Staff Member

Wish I had some advice for you, but I don't. Pets are hard, but they're worth it. Hope things improve.

nomadh likes this.
  3. Mr. Leyvatone

Mr. Leyvatone Well-Known Member

Mojo sent your way.

nomadh likes this.

4. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

I have friends.who.fought tooth and nail to keep a dog alive. I realise that this is all very personal, but to me the big question is whether the dog is suffering or will suffer. Answer that, and I think you will have your answer.

tobijohn, stingx, sabasgr68 and 5 others like this.
  5. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Hope your little girl feels better soon!

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

nomadh likes this.
  6. Tyrannocaster

Tyrannocaster Well-Known Member

I have been in similar, though not exactly the same, circumstances several times, and I know what you are talking about. My initial advice would be this: asking on a forum can't hurt, but you need to talk to people, and you need to do it now. That means you need to get on the telephone. Obviously, you've spoken with your vet, but you want more options. You simply can't get them fast enough online. It wouldn't hurt to ask your vet for the names of other practitioners (and stress that you are interested in alternative types - and if your vet won't give them or isn't interested, that should send up a flag IMO), but if it were me, I think I'd try to find some breeders who have similar dogs (Chis and JRTs, in other words) because they will be more likely to help you. These are people who are more in the loop than you (or me, for that matter) are.

My experience has been that so-called alternative therapies can sometimes literally work miracles. But most times, they don't, so you have to look at this from all sides (not that I'm telling you something you haven't already thought about). I also had a dog that changed her bloodwork and actually reversed kidney failure with only a change of diet, so I know that amazing things happen, but too many times, we end up bereft.

Man, I feel for you. Best of luck, and I realize that's not much of a big lift for you. They do not live long enough - any of them.

sabasgr68, belleswell and nomadh like this.
  7. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

Sorry this is going on.
    Our older GSD has been declining. At her age we are not interested in spending a lot of money on her should something more catastrophic happen as her mobility has gone down and she is very near her breed's life expectancy.
    As certain old dog things occur we think of her quality of life.
    I know this isn't of much help to you, but I just wanted to let you know what our mindset is.

sabasgr68 and nomadh like this.
  8. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

My 16-1/2 y.o. cat, T-Bone, is doing very well with a lymphoma diagnosis and tumor.
    I have him on a vets steroid, and CBD from canna-pet. (Rastifari ...I and I,...you and you)
    I also am using the cancer version of this company's ( "Life Gold"..great reviews) stuff. I think its been very good.
    Below is a link to their "kidney help" version for dogs and cats. Read up, maybe its worth a try. The bottle size lasts me about 3 months for a 10 lb cat w/ their cancer version. Lots of anti-oxidents.

https://www.petwellbeing.com/produc...MI5Z6Zs5zo2gIVU1mGCh18gwvDEAYYAiABEgJYlvD_BwE

Good luck. I am referring to T-Bone now as the miracle cat due to his turn-around seen in his blood tests, and his energy. Its a combo of the stuff I am giving him...plus, he is T-Bone.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    sabasgr68, nomadh and tonray like this.
  9. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

I don't really know what to tell you, Damon, but I will be praying for you and your family, and little Blancita.

Mojo coming,

Matt

10. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

@backinit The quality of life thing is a major point. At $3k I think the current fluid flush has done about as good as it will. It did do alot and the dog seems much better I'm hoping something nutritional could put her somewhere near normal again. If she was 15 or 16 this would be different calcs a bit although I really did expect to get her near 20 really. Then again the way my wife spoils maybe 15.
    @Tyrannocaster I have sent a synopsis to 3 or 4 local vets that mention homeopathy or integrated mediciNE but getting nowhere. My vet has talked to the ucdavis canine renal expert. Contacted my mom to see if her ex that helped my dog 20 years ago could take a shot. Found a contact to a food supply that referred to a fl dr that does phone consult. Waiting to hear back. I'm GoinG to suggest charcoal in case the dog ate something.
    Thanks guys.

sabasgr68 and PsychoCid like this.
  11. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll dig in and see. I think natural and diet things work better on pets than people because people can cheat. It's easy to limit a dog or cat. :)
    Thanks so much

sabasgr68 likes this.
  12. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Sorry to hear this. Have been there and it's an extremely tough one. There comes a point where you get so much invested you feel that you have too much invested and must go on. I suggest you just realistically look at the quality of life. You're talking transplants now and personally, with that and all the rest you mentioned, I'd strongly consider the quality of life issue and is it worth it. Best of luck with this gut wrenching situation.

13. raystankewitz

raystankewitz Active Member

This is a tough call for you to have to deal with. I have a 16+ YO cat that was sick recently with a serious blood-borne infection. We ended up pouring $6,500 into her immediate care, putting the hurt on our pocketbook in the process. She has rebounded and is doing okay but she will always need fluids daily and from time to time, anti-nausea meds. Good thing for her this is her forever home. She was 7 when we got her from some people that had kids who pestered the cat until she would scratch them. We saw this on our trip to pick her up and bring her home.

So, my suggestions; The big thing is your Chi/JRT's comfort and well being. I'm not for trying to keep a furbaby going just because you still have a buck or two to throw at the problem. If it's not helping the situation by continued this and that treatments, give your dog the rest they need. The only things you can do at this point is to quickly consult anyone that will talk to you and formulate a plan of care. From the sound of it, you don't have much time to act in.

As far as transplants go, I'm not so sure about that. Low success rate and high mortality rate, plus the life-long need for drugs afterward would shy me away from that. You know what, put yourself in your dog's paws. What would you want? We had to do that with a feline furbaby once upon a time. He was almost 20 years old, he had lived over half his life with kidney disease and he was anemic. We had to deal with several seizures (not pleasant for him or us) and a vet that wanted to do heroic things to save him. Gah, he was an old man in human years! We finally gave him the final rest that he deserved.

Sorry I don't much more for you but I do wish you great luck and I hope you're able to help your furbaby get well.

14. belleswell

belleswell Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I couldn't have said it better.

Mojo sent and our prayers are with you and the family.

15. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

Mojo sent and I hope they can fix her up.

16. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I was willing to go dialysis on a temp basis to see if we could kick start but needing a port plus infection and clot problems. Hell my father in law just died of mostly kidney failure after beating up kidneys to keep his heart going the last 5 years. And even there no one said dialysis was a reasonable thing to do. Add in the $1500 start up then the $500 a treatment. While the dog is miserable I don't need convincing. MY WIFE is problem here. My wife did spent $1500 to remove a 2 1/2 in screw from a baby emu that died anyway. A baby emu is only about 13" tall. Yes they are that stupid. My wife helped her mom inject water under the skin of her moms cat every day for a few years after the cats chemo. The other problem is her mom is equally crazy and is willing to bankroll alot of this. So the money wont be so bad but I agree at some point its just selfishness. That's why I have been looking for other "non sanctioned" treatments.

sabasgr68 likes this.
  17. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the product recommendation. I just bought the kidney support gold. Lots of miracle reviews and money back guarantee. Its about $40 for 2 months and just putting drops in her food. The random chat person at the website also confirmed milk thistle would be good.
    It can sound like an expense and a lot of work. Until you compare it to the medical industry. :)

sabasgr68 and Partscaster like this.
  18. stevebway

stevebway Well-Known Member

sO SORRY.
    mOJO SENDING @)))))))))) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) )

19. Lamf77

Lamf77 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Some Canine Wellness Mojo your way. Dogs are the bestest of friends.

20. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Very difficult situation and real tough on your wife. Kudos to you for trying to do the right thing for pup! I just wish I were the answer man. Good Luck!!!