Music Man Rs

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by golem, May 16, 2018.

1. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Looks like someone wants to trade me one of these for a guitar I have. These humbuckers sound really bright. Like single coils. I kind of expect that's why he doesn't like his guitar but bright humbuckers are pretty much my sound:

Frankenfretter likes this.
  2. golem

golem Well-Known Member

More talking but similar sound:

3. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Brett Kingman:

4. warped

warped Well-Known Member

It's not particularly my style but if you want bright then this has it in spades it seems. A lot of that may be how the amp is dialed too. Hard to tell.

golem likes this.
  5. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Well-Known Member

I can't speak for the Stingray specifically, but man does EBMM make some very finely crafted instruments. That would be enough for me to consider making a trade!

I just got this a couple weeks ago and I have to give major props to the folks at EBMM who built it, it's stellar:

8f2141f7cb3b04e45ee6ea8acfed3ff5.jpg

kungphugrip likes this.
  6. golem

golem Well-Known Member

It could be but it seems pretty bright in all three demos. I'm in love with Wide Range Humbuckers but also like higher output Filtertron type pickups and underwound PAFs. I can also make a pickup sound heavier with pedals and EQ. I saw another demo of these played with a lot more gain and it sounded pretty good.

7. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Higher gain Demo:

8. warped

warped Well-Known Member

I've been looking at versions of the wide range myself. I also like the lower output PAF types. Never tried any Filtertrons. So many pickups and so little time. I just installed a set of guitar madness '57 Specials in my AL 3010, Sounds real good.

9. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Having been able to pick up that '73 Telecaster Deluxe that I think I posed here about, I can tell you that that's nothing that sounds exactly like them. They do have bass and high end I can't replicate in any other pickup I've tried, but they also have a frequency response and respond to gain a bit differently than anything else I own. I don't know if 45 years of aging in the magnets has changed the sound, but I don't get the complaints people in the 70's had about their sound. They're seriously the best thing ever.

Filtertrons are something I have a love hate relationship with. TV Jones can be made to sound beautiful, but I kind of need to pair them with a warmer amp or a very warm fast delay for me to get the fullness I want with them. Lollar has a warmer fuller sounding filtertron (based on demos) that I've always wanted to try.

10. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

EBMM can't be beat, and are a bit underrated, I think. They're a little more popular in the bass world, (kinda like G&L), but they still don't get the love they really deserve, IMHO.

The only bass I would consider paying over $1K for anymore is a EBMM Sterling... Not to be confused with 'Sterling by Music Man'... An ill conceived name for their import line if you ask me... (and oh... everybody else).

It's about the most versatile bass I've ever played, and also the only active bass I ever liked...

And I don't just like it. :)

Obviously, I think you should make the trade... But I guess that would depend on what he wants to trade for... I can't listen to any of those videos at the moment, but if it's too bright for you, there are things you can do about it, and at worst, pickups can be easily changed if nothing else works.