Music Service

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tonebender, Mar 9, 2020.

1. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

Let's say a fella had just got himself and nice sound bar system for his TV and he had discovered that he can "smartcast" music from his phone through the system. What music service would you recommend if he would like to play all Steve Earle or Skynyrd, or Zeppelin or whatever while he is cooking dinner? Keep in mind that this fella is not wanting to spend much money, does not want to agree to a contract for any duration. More of a pay to play cancel any time situation.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  2. tonebender

This fella would also like the option to choose a genre, say, "play blues" or "country" or "classsic rock".

3. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

I mostly use Pandora. I've used Spotify and Amazon Music in the past but Pandora is free and works well enough for me.

tonebender likes this.

4. Aullucci

Aullucci Well-Known Member

So you basically have two options with most of the streaming services. You can either pay a fee for no ads and only listen to your music, or listen to ads between your songs for free. If you don't mind the ads, don't pay for anything.

As far as the services themselves, I've used Amazon Music, Spotify and Pandora pretty extensively. If you know what you want to listen to, Spotify all the way. They have a big library and you can create playlists to your heart's content. Pandora is my favorite for radio listening. If you want to listen to a radio station based off AC/DC, Pandora will make you a cool one. I think their algorithm is the best. Amazon is kinda in the middle; not as big a library as Spotify, not as good at playlists as Pandora. But totally solid. I've never used the paid version of Amazon either, so my experience is a little limited there.

tonebender likes this.
  5. tonebender

Thanks!!!

6. thepezident

thepezident Well-Known Member

I found the Pandora algorithm to repeat a little too much.
    Spotify all the way.
    You can create a playlist or they will create multiple ones for you based off what you've listened to in the past.
    They will also have playlists like "New Music Monday" and I've found some real gems in there.

tonebender likes this.
  7. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

I agree, Pandora's algorhythms are amazing. You're going to want to pony up for that service because they play as many commercials as terrestrial radio does on the free option. The downside to Pandora is that it has a tendency to repeat a tad too much in my experience.

Amazon is meh, but a good change of pace.

I primarily go with Youtube. It's $5 per month and has a good algorhythm as well. It has different stations based on genre or a specific band. It also eliminates ads during video playback, so you can watch whatever you want uninterrupted, and that's noice.

The app makes the songs it has selected for the next hour or so visible to you so you can edit it. You can re-order the list, or strike certain songs from it - it's very flexible. It will also download and keep a certain (user specified) amount of music downloaded for offline play when there's no service where you are. It learns you and your listening patterns, and keeps that info tucked into your Google account. You have to do some minimal maintenance with it - you have to log on every so often and re-diversify your playlist or it will get very specific. Right now, my primary list has around 75% Alter Bridge with some Muse and Deftones sprinkled in. I need to sit down and curate again - crowbar it wider a tad.

I like it quite a bit, but there's one problem with it for me: I do a lot of musical exploration. I'm always looking for another "new to me" band to listen to. I have to sign out of Google or switch accounts to do this musical skipping around - because otherwise Youtube will incorporate that music into my personal playlist. So if someone's recommended a certain operatic death metal band to me and I go to youtube to listen to them - they will then feature in heavy rotation in my playlist (whether I want them to or not) and I'll spend the next week striking their tunes until the algorhythm gets the idea. I'd love the option to make the app ignore current activity, but I guess they figure people will just log out or switch accounts anyway so why bother.

So now, if I want to hear a new album or try out a band - I'll find them on iTunes first. Apple doesn't care about me, and I don't care about them. It's a good base for a relationship.

Otherwise, as expensive as it fucking is, I really do like XM radio (they now have a mobile app with some on-demand features). I live in the mountains of Utah, and good reception (much less good metal) is hard to come by here. I'd love for them to have more and better electronic channels, but the rock selection is really good - and the comedy stations are golden. There's a Beatles station, one for the Stones, one for Petty, one for Ozzy, one for Pearl Jam, one for Kenny Chesney, etc. It's another good avenue for finding new music like we used to listen to the radio to do....

Remember that?

tonebender likes this.
  8. tonebender

Great info, thanks.

rrobbone likes this.
  9. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I tend to use Amazon Music. I liked it because I can download the songs for use offline and use it internationally. That hasn't been as important recently and might not be your use case.

10. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

Spotify is my favorite since you can just pick an artist and it will stock on that artist (as long as their catalog is deep enough)

Pandora annoyed me with anti-gun ads constantly a couple years ago, so I removed them from my device.

Prime music used to be better, but they took away any new albums when they made their premium service so it is strictly used for albums I know I can download for in car tunes.

The paid version gets all the new music and if you are on a limited data plan, it was nice being able to download hundreds of alt-country songs, I bought it on prime day for a few bucks and it was nice getting the new Cody Jinks albums, new Tyler Childers album, and Sturgill Simpson instead of having to listen to one or two songs until I decided to buy the albums.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    tonebender likes this.
  11. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

At the moment I pay for Spotify premium.

I was a loyal google play music user until they torpedoed the app to force everyone onto youtube premium. i tried yt for a little while, and the app sucked compared to google play. the main thing that drove me away from them however was that they pulled the youtube video features (direct download, play while your screen is off) that had been grandfathered in from youtube red. greedy [email protected]#*s

spotify does the job. i wish i liked their browser interface better - it starts to become cumbersome when you're dealing with large playlists

tonebender likes this.
  12. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

I have a Google Play Music subscription ($9.99 per month) and love it. You can usually find a 30-day free trial and sometimes even 90 days. The greatest benefit of having this service, aside from access to all the great music and podcasts, is that you get to watch YouTube content AD FREE. Also, you get the YouTube Music app/use for free but I've never tried that.

tonebender likes this.
  13. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

we have spotify (premium household). it's fine. shrug.

tonebender likes this.
  14. tonebender

Sounds like lots of good options and Spotify seems to be the best by a nose.

15. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

Pandora....

tonebender likes this.
  16. tonebender

I downloaded the Pandora app and started listening. I like it. I bluetoothed some Steve Earle on the commute home. When I got home I tried to Smartcast to the soundbar and was unsuccessful. It saw the soundbar, generated a tone when I hit the smartcast icon and the phone went silent but I could get no volume out of the bar. Then Ms Tonebender insisted we get on the motorcycles and go have dinner. We went to Luigi's for the first time. We moved to a new town in January and we are getting acquainted with the local cuisine. I will take another run at casting to my system tomorrow after work if I have time. I have to meet up with @t-glo for some solo act backing track lessons.

17. Raindog

Raindog Well-Known Member

About Steve Earle, his albums Jerusalem and I Feel Alright were my two go-to albums when I was doing a lot of walking for exercise. Music that works well for losing yourself in your walking.

tonebender likes this.
  18. tonebender

I Feel Alright may just be my favorite Earle record. I have covered the title track and several others on that record with my bands. I am currently woodshedding Valentine's Day to add to my acoustic repertoire. More Than I Can Do is such a great song lyrically and I love the progression. I had listened to Steve and was aware of his music but I Feel Alright was my first purchase of his recordings. I immediately delved into Steve and got it all. I have seen him live three times. He's probably in the top three of my favorite lyricists along with John Prine and Ronnie Van Zandt.

tvvoodoo, jam and Raindog like this.
  19. t-glo

t-glo Well-Known Member

I love Luigis. Gteat chicken marsala. Some time during the year they have a .99 cent bfast if you buy a drink. And Tuesday is all you can eat pascettie.o_O

tonebender likes this.
  20. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Member Supporting Member

If you're an AT&T customer, or have a Chase credit card, you can get 6 months of Spotify Premium (no ads, no song skip limit, downloadable playlists that can be listened to offline without using up data) for free right now.

voodoorat and tonebender like this.