My New Band, Auburn Heights, First Own Song

Discussion in 'Jam Room' started by deeaa, Feb 9, 2020.

1. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

First time playing at a new room and we set up a zoom recorder and we will record all our playing and pick the best songs for demos now and then.

The band has just started playing together so it's far from perfect as of yet but feels real nice!

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

Lamf77, doc-knapp, stevebway and 16 others like this.
  2. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

good stuff bump.

deeaa likes this.
  3. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Maybe next Thursday we will record one of our own songs. We've just started before Xmas so we have only six original songs as of now though.

Maybe we'll record Heroes as kind of a Bowie/Motörhead version mix. I quite like it. Today we also tried an old Motörhead song Dancing on Your Grave. It's probably the lightest/poppiest Motörhead song ever.

fullonshred likes this.

4. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

Wait. That's a Zoom recorder (I'm thinking handheld device)? Turned out well. Sounds more like a good board recording.

deeaa likes this.
  5. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

Damn... Not bad at all

deeaa likes this.
  6. Milkman

Milkman Well-Known Member

Yowza!!!!!

I’m a pretty big @deeaa fanboy already, but that was a killer version! Can’t wait to hear more!

I’m glad all that “finished with music” talk has faded!

fullonshred and deeaa like this.
  7. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Yea baby! Rocking hybrid ver. Funny I was just listening to the cash ver. It finished just as I parked the car a few min ago and was thinking we should cover this.

deeaa likes this.
  8. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Zoom R16, it takes in 8 mics.

We don't really have great mics though, the best one is a Shure 57 on vocals, but the rest are cheapest possible ones. Two Behringer small diaphragm measurement mics work as drum mics overhead, and we have some like $15 passive T bone mics for kick etc. For guitars I use really old AKG lapel mics, they have a handy hook so you can hang them on amp grille.

I wish I could afford good mics but damn I've spent at least $1000 on the Blackstar and the zoom R16 and loads of cables and stuff...but hopefully I can slowly start to score better equipment to improve quality.

First up, would need a couple of mic stands so I could position drum mics properly- now they hang from their own cords over there, and a a stand (and a vocal mic) for the lead guitarist as well so we could get at least some backing vocals as well.

Then we need a proper vocal monitoring system, now it's an 80W Peavey with two old basically guitar cabs that sound horrible - but I record the vox direct to zoom and only from there it goes to the monitors (which are just about loud enough so guys can tell where in the song we are, no more).

But all that comes to another $1000 with ease so I can't see it happening any time soon.

I figure maybe $2000 and we are ready to gig gearwise.

Then it's a question of finding a venue where we could throw a gig that wouldn't cost us terribly much. Damn hard these days. I don't want to go bankrupt just to throw a gig. But that's the way it is these days gotta pay to play basically, if not to the venue it still costs to arrange everything.

I'm hoping maybe at some point we'd get to be a warm-up band for some local band for free. Can't think of a gig of our own in near future.

9. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

Well cheap mics or not, I think the recordings turned out fantastic for a live full-band recording. And I feel you on all that gear. It adds up quickly. Cable expenses always sneak up on me, personally.

deeaa likes this.
  10. jhull54

jhull54 Well-Known Member

Jeez, I've heard professional releases that didn't sound that good. Fantastic job with that gear! And great job on the tune!

howardlo65 and fullonshred like this.
  11. adad

adad Well-Known Member

Well done! Not a bad recording too.

deeaa likes this.
  12. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Color me impressed.

deeaa likes this.
  13. Milkman

Man, I gotta learn to stay relaxed like that in my higher register. When I'm a approaching higher vocal parts, I start gathering tension and pushing and pushing until I lose it completely. I'm getting better, but it's frustrating to KNOW you can sing the notes, but missing anyway - and knowing exactly why.

Did you ever take singing lessons, @deeaa ? Or are you one of those people that just opens their face and good stuff comes out? I'm taking lessons now, and it's definitely helping a lot. I recommend it to anyone trying to improve their singing voice (which is anyone sick of dealing with singers!).

fullonshred and deeaa like this.
  14. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

I took some lessons when I was 16 or so, and I was a bass back then. Like opera style exercises. I suppose they did help with basic breathing and voice formation.

Cue 30 years of singing in bands and my range has moved upwards about one octave. I doubt I could go as low any more as I did when I was young. But I can now sing within 3, falsetto scream included 4 octaves. But this kind of middle range as the high notes here is most natural I suppose. When I sing a lot higher I have to either sing very gently or scream in falsetto.

I did also have some lessons when I was about 20, and that was largely about phrasing avoiding vibrato and keeping the flow stable.

I dunno, it always helps me a lot if I concentrate on guitar playing while singing and just kind of sing along...that way I tend to be more relaxed and don't try too hard. With the band, I can sing hours on end at full tilt, but when I'm recording alone I get tired much quicker trying too hard. With the band, all I hear of my singing is kinda distorted compressed midrangey mess anyway, so it's somehow easy to just sing along.

I guess if I try to sound heavy and strong, it works the opposite way and when I just sing relaxed along with playing it's a lot easier. Also I almost never manage to record my singing as well as I'd like in the studio - it's way better every time there's an engineer or a producer pushing me and people watching and all that, I get that adrenaline same as with the band, and don't need to sing loud as listening is so good...all that.

Which reminds me I GOTTA rebuild a proper real external FX monitoring for singing in my home studio...it makes ALL the difference.

Kind of like it's super hard to sing in an echoless room, but go to a stairwell or whatever where the sound reverberates and sounds LOUD and suddenly it's so easy to sing. I guess that's why people love to sing in showers.

So my suggestion would be....arrange it so that you can hear your voice reverberated with a lush big reverb and so LOUD that you don't even dare to sing at full tilt and it's way easier to go higher and higher.

fullonshred likes this.
  15. Milkman

Thanks for the tips, D.

I sing in the bathroom at home, and through a mic with reverb/echo too. I also find that I need to keep the vocals low in the monitor mix or I get distracted. I'm gonna try turning it up again now that I have some good technique to lean on.

I have access to a multitude of differents sized, tiled rooms at work, which would be fun to record in (but I can't). I do, however, sing in several of them.

My range has expanded a lot already, in just 6 months, mostly from developing good technique (especially relaxing my tongue, and ooooopeeeennnnning my mouth wiiiiiiide). I naturally breathe well when singing, so that's one less thing to worry about, and I can distort my tone with out using my cords (and do it for a long time) too.

I tell all my musician friends that it's just like learning any instrument, it takes time, patience and practice. I've also let most of them know that if I put another band together I expect everyone to contribute something to the vocals. If I gotta sing, so do you! If they don't like it, they can go get any one of the wannabe Instagram divas floating around.

deeaa likes this.
  16. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Here's a clip from today's practice session where we took on Kamchatka's 'Perfect'. What a fun song to play, and even though I'm the singer/rhythm guitarist, I even snuck in a bit of lead playing.

Next we'll do 'Heroes' in slightly Motörhead style, and our first own song. Dunno what first.

17. Milkman

That was pretty good! Keep ‘em coming!

also, I like the way you use your own voice in these songs. One of my biggest hurdles singing is trying not to imitate... it’s quite difficult sometimes, particularly when I know the songs very well.

deeaa likes this.
  18. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

LOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deeaa likes this.
  19. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very cool

deeaa likes this.
  20. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Yeah, some songs you DO have to imitate at least some. Like can't really do Megadeth without doing at least a bit of snarling through closed teeth...but, I've done dozens of cover videos with more or less imitation of vocal style I don't bother any more. Same with the covers themselves, we maim and re-arrange them pretty freely. Although this Kamchatka tune is pretty true to original, I think only the solo part is a bit longer still in the original.

But we don't follow songs to a tee. We listen to them a couple of times and check the main parts and special parts, and when we play them, we don't go back to check every detail but just finish the song in our own way

tonray likes this.