My New Band, Auburn Heights, First Own Song

Discussion in 'Jam Room' started by deeaa, Feb 9, 2020.

1. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Wow on the VAT euro prices. I got my PA up and running buying used for $800ish but thats because I was in a hurry. I later duplicated much of it and I could be functional for $350. 300 watts w speakers and monitors. I hear it just doesnt work that way in most of europe.

2. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Depends heavily on what kind of gear you want really. Plenty of cheapish stuff around. Attached is something that I'd be happy to gig with, 2000 watts or 4x500W and 22 channels, circa 1000 new. That would work.

My last gigging band had about 1500w small PA and that was basically good for small pizzeria type venues. I think all in all back then we spent circa a thousand on it as well, or maybe a bit less.

But in reality it's probable I could do with just training facility gear, something small with like 400W and two fullrange speakers would be fine for practice. I'm guessing when we gig, the venues will have their own PA anyhow. So I think we could get something like that under 400 used, yeah.

But, it's easy to spend money on stuff like cables and cases and lights and all that. And mostly I'd like better mics...real easy to splurge money on those. Starting with two proper overhead mics. 5584e11662ecac051a070d50399b7b6d.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

nomadh likes this.
  3. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Thats my tripup too. I think I do better singing female songs because then my brain just lets it go...(Because I'm so manly I guess ) Try it with heart or janis.

deeaa likes this.

4. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

With the specs that sounds quite reasonable. I should have guessed you'd be playing bigger places than my bands. I forgot you have thomman

deeaa likes this.
  5. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

Oh, shit, you made "Hurt" rock. I like it.

deeaa likes this.
  6. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

@nomadh Thomann changed everything here....in many ways. It didn't take long for shops to realize they can't sell stuff at any higher prices than they do when it's just 12€ for shipping from Thomann and they have a selection you can't compete with, and a great return and warranty policy.

So these days there's fewer local music stores to start with, two in my town, and they sell stuff at the same price as Thomann pretty much, with just 5-10€ difference for most stuff or exact same for smaller stuff.

It's also forced them to provide more of a service and concentrate on selling fewer and more expensive guitars.

I just talked with one salesperson and he said he sold two PRS guitars worth around ten grand last week, and the way he did it he got a call from someone interested in one from a bit further away, and he went ahead and got the interested buyer train tickets for free and even went to pick him up from the station so he would come and test the guitar.

Ended up buying a pair of them. That's some salesmanship! He actually said he would have taken the client out to lunch even on his behalf to seal the deal if needed.

It's also changed the pricing of used stuff. It's pretty much -70% of new price for anything current if it's mint or almost, and people know it well in the circles, except for stuff in high demand and classics etc. Thomann is like the Bible of markets, whenever people bargain the first thing they do is look up what does something equivalent cost from Thomann and go from there.

fullonshred and nomadh like this.
  7. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Fresh off the recorder, here's our first own song, Hell To Pay. Turned out kinda poppy but wth. Gotta make some heavier tunes as well, but...well, usually when I make a tune it tends to be rather poppy in some way.

fullonshred and Milkman like this.
  8. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Tomorrow we have a session again and I'm thinking we could record some old Cult songs. Either Peace Dog or Li'l Devil...or both.

9. redman

redman Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

It may sound a bit weird but I really liked Johnny Cash's version more than Nine Inch Nails even though it was their song and that has a lot to do with me being a complete fan of JC because of his voice.
    You guys may not have the equipment you want but IMO that was right up there with JC's. Sounded great!

fullonshred and deeaa like this.
  10. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Yeah I love the JC version! Definitely wanted to go towards that more.

BTW I'm posting another complete hack-up in a bit, we're doing Bowie's Heroes but in partial Motörhead style and also in other respects quite freely interpreted.

11. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

One more as promised, and then I won't pester you for a while with these :) HEROES

nomadh and fullonshred like this.
  12. Milkman

Milkman Well-Known Member

Please continue to pester us!!!

deeaa likes this.
  13. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

We just listened to Abba's Piper and pondered if it might make a good rock tune

14. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

Nice.
    You just keep goin', don't ya ?

fullonshred likes this.
  15. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Yep, apparently I just can't not

stevebway and fullonshred like this.
  16. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

Dude your pipes are pro level by any measure. You should be famous. It seems effortless and I bet you couldn't hit a bad note if you tried.

17. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

I agree with your assessment of deeaa's abilities. That said even in the area of small towns I grew up in I have seen heard guys play live who I wager are better players and musicians than many who are/were in bands that made it big. Phenomenal guitarists more often than top tier vocalists, but still several guys who could deliver amazing vocals live as well as on studio tracks.

But none of the ones I am thinking of ever left our smalltown area to go to LA or NY or Nashville or any other big music citiy/area.

One of the very best guitarists I know became a minister and says that was always his true calling.

18. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

If your going to cover a song you might as well do something different with it. That worked well. I suspect the trick to it is the talent ;)

deeaa likes this.
  19. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

For YEARS here nobody posted their music. I think the best thing about how this place has evolved is people's bringing their personal music in. People need to feel safe. This is the safest place on the internet. It is very gratifying to me to see folks who've worked hard, raised their families right and treated music like it was (almost) the most important thing.

deeaa likes this.
  20. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

Sounds great!

deeaa likes this.