My Trusty "strat" For Sale

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by deeaa, Mar 24, 2020.

1. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

I'm trying to sell my old custom strat. The neck was built by a luthier in like 1991 and it's been refretted at least once. Frets are fine now. Body came off a Fenix I had and found the body to be extra resonant.

Wilkinson bridge with steel block, painted super thin without any filler. It is quite worn here and there.

I had an EMG set in this with 2 pups and put in a Gibson style switch, but now it has two Squier pups and a DiMarzio at bridge.

Neck is really great at nearly 30 years old, V shaped and superb.

I put it on sale locally for 500 and I suspect it might not sell. But no matter. It makes no sense to sell it at lower price. It is a great sounding and playing guitar with history and serious mojo. I never felt it needed better pups either.

d60b94a790549f9d2c21e4956b3be3d7.jpg 5c2d1d73142be7f561cc681599da253e.jpg 0649f40343d17e1dbaf9f450ee0ba53f.jpg e1251894ee5103ef4e57c32ddb400caf.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

Tsukiyomi, peskypesky, DonM and 7 others like this.
  2. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Oh. It is maybe hard to see from the photos but the body isn't exactly strat shaped, it's a little smaller.

peskypesky likes this.
  3. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

Mojo for sure brother but it's YOUR mojo:)

tonray likes this.

4. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I hope you can sell...but I believe you will be passing this one down to your sons. Try to look at it this way...if you don't use it at all now, selling certainly is painful knowing what you've spent on it over the years, but if you are not using it ...then even getting $250 for it is perhaps better use of resources if want to re-allocate the funds to something else. Good luck in any event.

Tsukiyomi and CyFan4036 like this.
  5. Pilipete_Townshend

Pilipete_Townshend Well-Known Member

Might need a revised set of pictures. other than that it looks like a good guitar to the right buyer.

6. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

So, you are now a Les Paul man. Welcome to the club. LOL

Just kidding, GLWTS.

7. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Not your trusty! (GLWS!)

8. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

I've never really liked strats much. My first guitars were all strats sort of, but this one for instance, it's always been the spare guitar or reserved for TV noodling because it's comfy on the lap.

It's pretty easy to correct a strat though - just put in a proper bridge that's higher and tilts the neck and clears up space between the body and the pickguard, and put in a neck with a tilted headstock so it doesn't feel and sound so jangly but gets a little brighter. Also move the volume knob out of the way and put in a reasonable pickup selector. In effect, a superstrat with a fixed but high bridge is a great compromise.

In my Davette I also shortened the upper horn, so that the neck doesn't sit on your lap that badly but goes a little farther from the body. I've played it for over 20 years as my main axe and it corrected everything I dislike about strats.

But I also played a Les Paul for 13 years before that, and now I've started using them again.

They have a perfect balance and neck position, it's easy to play them a little lower but the neck offers itself to be played regardless, and it's in a great position further away from your body when you play.

But the problem with an LP is that it's indeed a bit too heavy, and also it doesn't have a great upper fret access. An SG is better in that respect but it lacks the balance of the LP. I had a superb Epi Prophecy SG though back in the day I shouldn't have sold. Although that too was slightly neck heavy.

I want to build another flying V and try to make that balance well and also find perfect spots for strap buttons to achieve that. The V has everything from light body to potentially great balance and good upper fret access, the only issue with it being slightly awkward pickup selector position.

Tsukiyomi and andrewsrea like this.
  9. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

You need to have a breakthrough hit or 2 then that strat will be worth some coin to someone.
    I think it's great to have a guitar with some cool natural mojo to it. That reminds me that I need to play my strat more.

tonray likes this.
  10. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

I'm thinking my best bet would be to just do a direct swap with someone really bored with an SG or Flying-V really. Something in lower end Gibbys or a nice copy.

Tsukiyomi and tonray like this.
  11. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Hasn't sold so I have a new plan. I have another guitar that plays great but is a bit weird...I bought Jackson humbuckers for it for 30 euros and will put those in and tidy it up and sell it for 150. It's probably gonna sell with that. Washburn body, Hondp neck, Jackson pups. Super low action and straight neck and stays in tune perfectly so I can sell it with confidence.

This strat, I'm making it S/H combo again using that upper horn switch. Got the pickups for it too, a Gibson 490t and a DiMarzio Fast Track for neck. It will scream - and will only need a couple of pots and solder.

CyFan4036 and tonray like this.