Need Help From Pickup Experts

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by guitaro, May 16, 2019.

1. guitaro

guitaro Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A couple years back when I was buying every good deal I saw on CL, I bought this MIJ Squier Stratocaster for like 220.00 if I recall correctly, something damn low for what it was worth. A couple of you might remember, TJ will because he remembers everything, lol, that the guy told me it was totally stock and he had owned it for years, but when I opened it up it had a set of Fender custom shop pickups, initialed and dated by Abigail Ybarra. Bizarre but very nice twist.

The strange thing is I never really bound with the guitar so I am thinking about selling it even though I'm reluctant to sell any of my MIJ guitars since that is what I collect. Calling it a collection helps rationalize owning 30 something guitars:ROFLMAO:

So question is how do I tell what set this is, and how much do you think they are worth? Since I've owned it Abby retired from Fender and it seems the prices on her pups are going up.

IMG_1538.JPG

tobijohn and toomanycats like this.
  2. guitaro

Bump and followup postulations. So I guess the options would be to sell the guitar with the pups and try to get summed value of both, change out the pups and sell the guitar with some generic set, then sell the pups separately, or change out the pups and put them in another one of my strats, or shit-can the whole idea and just keep it the way it is.

3. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

A full set of those pickups used typically goes for around $175-$200 (check recently sold auctions on Ebay) so that’s what I’d expect to get give or take a few bucks.

As far as figuring out what they are, your best bet is to measure the output and try to match that up with what Fender offers. Most sets for sale seem to be the Custom ‘69 model, so I’d bet that’s what these are.

toomanycats likes this.

4. guitaro

Thanks man. Yeah, probably 69's. I think the AY signed ones are going up in price though since her retirement. If I sold the set with the pickguard I don't think I would consider less than 300 and think it would sell pretty easy at that price. I just looked and the only set on Reverb I could find currently was pups only with kind of short wires at 260.00 shipped or something, but that is from Spain.

5. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

I just looked on Reverb and there are three or four sets of hers for sale with more still in guitars.

The guitars run for around $2K or better. The sets are kinda all over the place. From $220 to $1000.

If it were me, I'd try to verify the initials and obtain some sort of authentication from the custom shop. That would dictate what I might be willing to splash out for them if I were looking to buy an Abigail wound set. If you can score that, the prominence will command a higher price. From what I understand, the "AY" initials vary in appearance because those are ones she supervised. The ones she personally wound have her first name signed on them.

Then again, if it were me, I'd keep 'em and enjoy playing them. I think it would be kinda cool to have them.

guitaro likes this.
  6. slowhand84

You have to look at what they actually sold for and not what it’s priced at. Used sets on EBay in recent weeks have been about what I quoted. Reverb folks put used Agiles up for $800-900 at least once a week lol. But I think you can definitely get $250ish or so for the full loaded guard if the pots and switch are quality.

7. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I think there is always more money in parting it out and selling the guitar with a similar set of pups that would have came in it.

idiotsdelight, honyock and guitaro like this.
  8. guitaro

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe 600.00 for the guitar if I decide to list it on Reverb but parted I'd probably try to get 450ish for the guitar with another set of pups, probably a MIM set or something, and 300 for the loaded pickguard.

Here are some pics of the guitar. I hadn't pulled it out in awhile. It's pretty sweet actually. Quite a bit of flame and nice matte finish on the neck. It's an E series which if I recall correctly puts it somewhere between 1984 and 1987.

IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG

andrewsrea likes this.
  9. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

yup, bought a guitar with set of SD Slash pickups for $272 with case and stand, sold case for $45, guitar for $250, and I still have the pickups and stand...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

andrewsrea and guitaro like this.
  10. guitaro

Good info. Probably should hold on to them. Not sure how I would go about getting then authenticated but they look completely legit with the initials and date and bottom base-plate thing and the staggered magnets. I can post pics of that later but they seem to be what is describe in what I read.

11. slowhand84

Nice strat! And yep, definitely don't sell the guitar and pickups together. You'll get easily $150-ish more minimum from selling them separately. If I really don't bond with a guitar, it's usually not the pickups that are to blame but something about how it plays/feels...so if ya feel that way I would probably just sell the guitar and find one you bond better with. There's so much great stuff available for not much scratch these days that it doesn't make sense to hang on to something that isn't inspiring ya.

guitaro likes this.
  12. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

MIJ necks are supposed to be pretty good. That's where the value of those are based on. I'd keep it and play it. Stock pickups were probably ceramic magnets.

guitaro likes this.
  13. guitaro

Yeah, exactly. It's not the pups because I mostly play unplugged. I think it is just that the neck is a little thin. It's not that I don't like it but I have other Strats that feel better and sound better acoustically.

14. guitaro

Yeah, it's a high quality guitar for sure, especially with the upgraded pups and electronics. It has nice tuners too. But I have way more guitars than I can play so at some point I have to decide what to keep and what to sell.

15. glasshand

glasshand Well-Known Member

I admit that I had never heard of Abigail Ybarra before this thread, but there's a pretty cool interview with her here - https://sheshredsmag.com/abigail-ybarra-issue-11/ - and I'm glad to see her getting some recognition. If it were me, I'd hang on to them - as I always say, what are you going to get in exchange, money? You can always get that somewhere else, but a collectible like that is special. That said, if you didn't bond with it you didn't bond with it, so...east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does, so I guess it's up to you!

guitaro likes this.
  16. andrewsrea

Now you are getting into 'collectables' territory, versus the average musician's market. To the average guitar player and IMHO, a personally-wound pickup set like Abigail's would sound better than the average pickup (depending on the player's tastes, of course). But let's face facts: she was probably using a machine (vs. hand) and really does not have unicorn dust shooting from her fingertips.

So, basically the premium is based on her celebrity status. Which you have to authenticate and hope is still appreciated in the future.

I am not a collectables expert and I tend to strike while a good deal looks good.

Case in point, I think I netted $480 profit on my 1979 Ross Grey compressor sold last year (bought it for $15 in 1979). The day I added a voltage divider to my 1977 MXR Dynacomp to make it sound exactly like the Ross, is the day I put the Ross for sale. The celebrity premium on the Ross was good enough for me and all I wanted as a player, was the tone.

17. Sinster

Sinster Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 9:51 AM
  18. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

$15 in 1979 is like...$35+ bucks today.

Competes with Joyo? :D

19. andrewsrea

Lol. I came to possess it by happy accident.

I sat in with my friend's band on drums to get them through a wedding and the keyboardist was John Dragonetti, who owned a music store that we had rehearsal in. I had just bought an Ibanez Iceman IC100W and was showing him. He said "you have to have pedals to go with that" (I know very little at this time about guitardom). Now I am thinking dirt or a Small Stone and he whips out a Ross compressor. "All the pros play them' and I noticed my friend Bob Freed, the bass player, had one. "These go for $35, but I'll sell it to you for my price - $15 and its yours."

I was so disappointed when I got it home. Flash forward 10 years and I am producing / engineering a band and we can't get the bass guitar to sit in the mix. My buddy Bob reminded me of the Ross compressor that had been sitting in its box forever. It worked really well and was used for many applications thereafter.

It was in extremely good condition when I sold it.

PsychoCid likes this.
  20. guitaro

Yeah, there is quite a bit of variation in the ones that are initialed and dated. Like someone mentioned above, the reality is these are just Fender custom shop pickup sets that she supervised the making of so she may not even be the one who wrote the date and initials. I would say just looking at them I'm virtually certain they are real. All the pieces, the staggered slugs, the wires, the solder, etc looks identical.

The ones she signed "abby" are apparently the ones she made personally, but even on those it doesn't say specifically that she wound them by hand. Probably also machine wound. If you were going to fake a set it would be the ones signed abby. From the thread that you linked:

"60s pick up sets are not signed they are initialed. those are the ones you get in the box. they are not actually made by her they are made by the team that she supervises. the ones that are made by her are signed like the ones on the auction. The signed ones are usually found in CS guitars (sold with the guitar)"