Need pickup wiring help

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by slaveunit, Feb 2, 2012.

1. slaveunit

slaveunit Well-Known Member

Ok pickup people. I need some help to figure out what wires are what on these Rockfield Mafia pickups. They are to be installed with coil tapping. I installed them how I thought they would be correct but it doesnt sound correct at all. Can anyone please help me line up what wire is what with the Seymour Duncan diagram.

053e75c851b0a2aa8b5d4beffe1370c0.gif
    a31448dc81e4ba7457b976678395ca39.gif

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w_1pp

Currently I have the red/wire just the same as it is in the SD picture. I have the green and white going to the top lug of the 3way switch (ground) and the black going to the bottom left and right side of the 3way switch. I get sound but it sounds really bad. Also the coil tap seems backwards. As in when it down it sounds thinner.

Here is how it looks currently:
    [​IMG]

[hr]
    Maybe this will help a bit...
    9a9b53258e3fa4f9b9b3a5d0b7499373.jpg

2. bogman57

bogman57 New Member

slaveunit and backinit like this.
  3. slaveunit

Ok, I think I got the bridge going at this point. Lets try the neck.[hr]
    So are all wires reversed like that with the Rockfields? I see its a mirror image with the bridge vs the neck.[hr]
    OR is it just swap the red and green for both pickups in the diagram and be done?

4. gearhead1972

gearhead1972 Well-Known Member

If you have the rockfield pickups wired with the SD colors, it will be wired totally wrong. Most people make the north coil on the neck pickup and south coil on the bridge pickup the ones activated by the coil tap. So on the neck you need the red to go to selector switch, black to ground. Then the white and green together to the coil tap switch. This will bypass the south coil when the green wire gets grounded by the switch.
    Bridge pick up will need the black wire to go to the selector switch, green and white to the coil tap switch, finally the red to ground. So now the white gets grounded when the coil switch is used to bypass the north coil. Get it?

Mickey and slaveunit like this.
  5. slaveunit

Got it...thanks. In the end I had the wrong coil taping on the neck. Ill be swapping the wires soon. Thanks.

6. slaveunit

I think the way you explained has the north coil on the bridge on during the coil split? Would that be correct?[hr]

In the end this seemed correct:

Neck:
    Red = selector switch
    Green and White = tone coil tap pot
    Black = ground

Bridge:
    Red = selector switch
    Green and White = tone coil tap pot
    Black = ground

Both pickups are essentially wired up the same. This works because the wires are a mirror image of each other.

7. harpmaster

harpmaster Well-Known Member

8. harpmaster

harpmaster Well-Known Member

9. slaveunit

Right, I have that link in my first post. but its completely wrong for the Rockfield pickups.

10. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Well timed slave. I just got done wiring up the Firebird & am now working on the AL2800 I scored. I put some Rockfields in it. zacsdad threw me an AL harness he had lying around. I can use this thread with any color questions I might have come up with.

11. slaveunit

idiotsdelight... here...

Here is a better one that I just did won't be able to be mixed up with others. Refresh if you don't see the Rockfield logos.
    db995f9e6f5b5b74f26811908517d5f1.jpg

12. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

What do you think of the mafias?
    I own SWCs and have an old proto turbo, but no experience with mafias.

13. slaveunit

So far pretty good. But Ive only tried through my 2x12 100 watt Vypyr solid state. Most things sound good through it. Its much more of a test through tube amps. I'll test and report soon Tim.[hr]
    Ok gave a quick run through the Blackstar HT5 hooked into an Avatar cab with 4 V30s. Just to get a reference point I played my Agile 3100 with Dimarzio Activators becasue I am very familiar with that guitar through all my gear. It didn't sound a lot different. A tiny bit rougher....but a very small amount. So far I will keep them. Time will tell though. Im still getting used to V30s. Also this cab is thinner depth slant cab. Its 10" at the top and 12" at the bottom. I have a full size Randall 4x12" on the way (14" deep all the way) with V30s. So I think that will give a bit deeper sound.

14. gearhead1972

The way I explained it is would give you north coil of the neck and south coil of the bridge when the coil tap is engaged. This is the reason why the diagram from Rockfield has the colors in different spots for the neck and the bridge. Essentially you have it wired correctly, but not the way they want you to. You now have north coil of neck and north coil of bridge with the tap engaged.

15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. The following might have helped if I had (but the AGF came through for you, like they always do):

Pickups - What wire does what?

If you've ever bought or been given a pickup and wanted to know how it should be connected, this tip should help. I will explain the process for a single coil but the SAME principle applies to HBs. If it is a 2 wire you will do it for the pickup as a whole, for a 4 wire HB you should do each coil separately.

Tools needed: multimeter (MM) that can read DC, screwdriver (metal).

1. First, connect the MM across the leads in resistance mode to make sure that you have a complete coil (this might be especially important for 4 wire HBs).

2. Connect the MM across the coil leads in DC mode (if you have to set the sensitivity, some MMs do this automatically go for the most sensitive setting).

3. Tap the coil with the screwdriver. Actually, it is not really necessary to touch it, but you must bring the metal of the screwdriver within the coil's field. When you do this, the meter will jump either positively or negatively. When you remove the screwdriver from the field, the meter should jump in the opposite direction.

4. Record the color leads connected to the + side of the voltmeter and the - side. Call the lead connected to the + side of the meter when the voltmeter jumps + the positive side of the coil. Actually, I may have + and - reversed here, but it really doesn't matter ALL THAT MATTERS is that all the pickups you install get installed the SAME WAY. On 2 wire pups, however, if one of the leads is a shield, call that the - lead (shields should always go to ground).

5. Repeat for every other coil/pickup. If the next coil/pickup makes the needle jump negative when you touch it with the screwdriver, then whatever lead you have connected to the - side of the voltmeter is the + lead for that coil/pickup.

When you are done you will know the + and - side of each coil/pickup. In order to make sure what you are installing is in phase with what is already in your guitar, check it too.

I didn't invent this, I got it from a book. But it has made me NEVER have to guess how to wire a pickup!

16. slaveunit

When I had it wired up your way it had the north coil for the neck and the north coil for the bridge as well in coil tap mode.

The Rockfield (photoshopped Seymour Duncan that I did) diagram seemed to correct things. Would you say that diagram is incorrect?[hr]
    After a bit more time with the pickups...they are a bit bassier and dirtier (not as smooth) compared to what I like. They are nice pickups...Im picky though....but I do like the Dactivators better. They have smoother mids and a tad less dirty bass.

17. gearhead1972

That is strange, maybe rockfield wants both north coils used when tapped. If both of their pickups are wired the same, I don't see why they would make 2 different diagrams then? Any way I take it you have it working and sounding good now? if it ain't broke don't fix it. I Just hope I helped you in some why.

18. slaveunit

The diagrams I have listed up top are correct. The neck and bridge wire colors are mirror images of each other for some reason.

But yes they seem correct now. Obviously this can be tested with a light screw driver tap on each pole piece to see what is active when.[hr]
    ...and on my short review of these pickups....I completely forgot I havent even changed the stock strings yet. So its a bit null and void.