Need Vocal P.a. Advice

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by rmfroyd, Jun 6, 2019.

1. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

Now that I have a drum set we have been playing in the garage a couple times a month, wide variety of music, mostly rockish. 2 Amped Guitar players, 1 amped bass player, and 1 drummer. Nobody is overly loud, and I wouldn't say volume is an issue. The problem we are running into is hearing the singer over the band, so we need some way to amplify the singers voice. We have been using my neighbors Line 6 L3t, which is nice, but it's heavy as fuck, and in order to use it, we have to invite my neighbor, and he is struggling with the whole playing nice with other people thing.

f69fa14455dd9d4005d397d0253fadea.jpg

So, I am looking at purchasing something, I just am not sure the wattage/size of speaker I need. I don't think I need a mixer as the only thing we will be micing is the singer. 1 speaker would probably do it, but 2 would be nice so we could set one up by the drummer.

Here is the space:

10069be71ec0852a897b1c8967c02cf3._.jpg
    3b9971de5dd1c474e48b4f595d61d4cf._.jpg
    d37d70ed0f0e1606ee6082a362f2fcfa._.jpg

Thanks for your help!

2. rmfroyd

[​IMG]

tlarson58 likes this.
  3. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

nrussell23 and rmfroyd like this.

4. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

A pair of Behringer F1220D powered speakers should do the trick for cheap money. $198.99 each.

Call Sweetwater and see if you can get an early GearFest deal.

I got 1 for a monitor when I use my small Samson 308i PA.

rmfroyd likes this.
  5. Mr. Leyvatone

Mr. Leyvatone Well-Known Member

I am no expert in this area, but I'll give my opinion anyway... lol

I recently invested in some of this stuff. My choice was a basic Yamaha mixer, plus a single Alto 12" TS312 (2000 watt) powered PA speaker.

After reading many reviews, I chose to go a little more expensive on the PA speaker because I didn't want to spend money and end up with something of suspect quality.

It sounds pretty amazing. It would be an awesome monitor in a stage situation and could easily provide FOH sound for a small venue.

I strongly recommend the mixer for its ability to manipulate the mic tone and add some basic (but essential) fx to the vocals.

Total spend was about $450.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  6. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

You want the speakers on stands. Some kind of Baffle in front of the drums wouldn't hurt. Mic'ing the vocalist will do it. Everyone will appreciate it

ID10T and rmfroyd like this.
  7. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I swear by feedback eliminators for ambient vocal monitoring systems (vs. 'in-ears').

My monitoring rig: 16 channel Studiomaster Diamond mix desk, into a Behringer Feedback Destroyer, into a QSC GX3 (150w per side) into (2) Behringer wedge monitors (15" w/ horn).

I haven't played out in a while, but never encountered a gig with that rig to which I could not hear the vocals. And we played loud.

RockYoWorld likes this.
  8. Aullucci

Aullucci Well-Known Member

I will in no way pretend this is a high quality solution, but I picked this up for $49 on some sale:
    9c54746e6bd03ef415265a67ce3f7119.jpg

Link HERE

The reason I told everyone I bought it was so my kids could karaoke with it - you can plug in two mics and it has an aux jack. They naturally broke the wireless mic in about 14 seconds. I got an SM57 knockoff from monoprice for another $10-15 and just plug it in. It's stunningly loud. I've never had anyone singing while I was playing loud through an amp, but I think it's got enough juice to fill that space and compete with a drummer. Sound quality-wise, I probably wouldn't record the vocals for an album through it, but for playing with the fellas in the garage, I might think $50 is the right answer. I've also plugged a keyboard and electronic drum set into it and it sounds fine for both of those. It also has a rechargeable battery and works well while not plugged into the wall.

The actual reason I bought it is because it also has a guitar input and I wanted to run my pedals straight in and see if it would work, because it's super light and easier to move than an actual amp. It is not as good at this application as the singing. There's a hum that isn't present with the vocal mic (tho I plug the vocal mic into the XLR input). I tried to contact cleaner the input but no improvement. It's not terrible, just low level annoying. I have this theory that if I run an EQ pedal into it I could make it better for guitar, but I recently broke my eq pedal, so I could be full of it.

rmfroyd likes this.
  9. rmfroyd

Did you buy the Yamaha MG06x mixer?

10. jgauker

jgauker Member

It all depends on what your intending to become as a band, are you planning on gigging or just staying in the garage? How much money do you have to spend? Will this be a permanent practice space? If you intend to start playing out, who will provide the PA? We have a single powered speaker and an old Carvin mixer for our practice space and a separate PA when we play gigs. A Behringer or Seismic Audio powered speaker should work just fine. It does need to be elevated to about head high. A stand or setting it on the file cabinet next to the toolbox would work. You could even probably get away with a 10" speaker as long as it has at least 200 watts continuous.

rmfroyd likes this.
  11. jgauker

jgauker Member

12. Mr. Leyvatone

Mr. Leyvatone Well-Known Member

MG10

13. rmfroyd

1. Just staying in the garage, no gigging in any foreseeable future or any alternate timeline.....
    2. I would like to keep it under a grand, preferably under $500
    3. This is a semi-permanent practice space, as I would have to tear down the PA and Mic-stands after practice as my kids tend to use the whole garage.

Checking out the link you sent now.

14. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

We always used monitors on the floor for practice. In your garage you could try a couple quality 12's on stands, one against the garage door just to the left of your son in the pic and one over just to the right of the dart board. That should cover the room. Lots of quality speakers available but I like EV's.

There are things you can do to quiet the drums. The drums set the pace when it comes to volume. We had a set of electronic drums in the practice house so we could keeps things to a respectable level. Some drummers have to hit hard as a matter of style. Some use more finesse and have a light touch. I never seem to find the latter.

15. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You could try one of those ION PA speakers found at Sam's Club etc. . I bought one of those for Cub Scout stuff and it works for vocals, instruments and has bluetooth. 2 mic. inputs with an on-board mixer - 500 watts and I paid $120 for it. I use it with a Sennheiser wireless mic. and so far, it has tackled everything I've thrown at it.

andrewsrea and rmfroyd like this.
  16. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Just a garage? An Alto 308 will do fine for little coin, a QSC cp8 is a higher quality yet small and light speaker that will do it. Plenty of others in that category as well. 8” PA speaker will be deafeningly loud in that space and bass response is not an issue for vocals, or even guitar through one of those.

Mr. Leyvatone and rmfroyd like this.
  17. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

First rule is. Go used. Next is decide on "get by level" of equipment or go a bit more and get something that can play a small gig.
    In the garage a powered speaker, probably 150 watt on up should be fine. Maybe even 100 depending. Hopefully 2 inputs to handle a backup singer. But I wouldn't pay over $100. Hopefully that used scout's system mentioned but for $50
    BUT if you keep an eye out I find whole gigable older powered 300 watt pa and speaker combos for $300. Sometimes closer to 200. Sometimes with stands and cables. Sometimes $300 with a monitor even.
    I bought one powered pa for $60 and a pair of 300 watt ev speakers for $90. Another $100 in scrounged cables, stands and monitors and you can play a backyard party or bar. And that's an 8 or more input mixer so you can handle multiple vox, an acoustic, a keyboard and mic the kick drum a bit.
    For the return on $ and resellability I just skipped the 1st level system personally.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    manco53 and rmfroyd like this.
  18. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

+1 on floor monitors.

19. G_Shock52

G_Shock52 Member

I played in a garage band that had a few small workplace gigs at holiday parties and such. We used a Kustom PA50 at practices and jam sessions. It's inexpensive, small and light, self powered, 3 inputs, can go on a stand, and can be hooked up to more of the same model - so you can expand on it in the future if you guys play bigger gigs or need bigger sound. We had a good experience with them and they sounded great.

https://www.kustom.com/index.php/pa-systems/pa50.html

rmfroyd likes this.
  20. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

So the line 6 is not quite enough by it's own or you're trying to eliminate the line 6 all together?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019