New Bridge Day (sjm,jm,jag related)

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by madvette, Apr 8, 2009.

1. madvette

madvette New Member

New Mastery Bridge for my SJM, This fixes all the issues of the stock bridge and mustang bridge. I was on the waiting list for a few months and finally got mine. I would recommend this to anyone looking for the perfect bridge for this type of guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. David

David New Member

looks like a nice bridge

3. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

I'm watching the video now.. so technically it removes the floating aspect eh?

4. alcoholfueled-vii

alcoholfueled-vii New Member

good score!! seems like a good saddle design that fixes a lot of common mustang bridge related problems!

5. doktordee

doktordee New Member

this bridge is the exact solution i've been waiting for ... i'm so excited for you, mv. can't wait to hear yer experiences with it. i'm going to get one when i can afford it too. then i'd be able to fingerpick easily on the sjm without troubles!

congrats, d00d. keep us posted.

--dee!

6. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

What's the radius on the SJM? Anyone know?
    One more question... Isn't this bridge more expensive than the whole SJM guitar?

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by dspellman]

7. madvette

madvette New Member

no idea on the radius, The bridge is more expensive then the SJM but the SJM is priced pretty cheap.

8. dspellman

You're going to be setting the bridge to match the radius on the fretboard, right? Some of the SX guitars are 350mm radius (something over 13"), but the video for the bridge talks about 7.5 and 9.5" radius as being normal for the Fenders the bridge is designed to replace. That's why I'm curious. Do you have a radius gauge?

9. doktordee

doktordee New Member

while its true that the mastery bridge is very expensive, it is also a beautiful work of art, engineering-wise. its a very elegant solution to about a dozen problems with both the original jm/jag style bridge and the mustang bridge ... and yes, even cures problems that the oh-so-beloved tunamatic style bridges have when used with this style of guitar as well ...

to extol the virtues of this lil' marvel has been covered on another forum (the offset guitar one -- to the tune of about 50 pages worth of replies and discussions) ... and imho, its well worth the money. and its viability for fixing the issues with this guitar's stock bridge and all replacements available before it has been road-tested by some of the best and well-known users of jazzmasters and jags in the biz (namely, wilco and sonic youth, among others).

i am looking forward to getting one when i can afford it... the sjm just begs to be played hard and it gets really annoying having the strings pop out of the saddles due to excitability on the part of the user...

--dee!

10. doktordee

doktordee New Member

i am not speaking for mv, but ... i'd guess that the radius on the sjm is pretty close to what the mustang is... i can measure the height on all the strings on my sjm with the mustang bridge and the height is uniform.

i don't have a radius gauge but my luthier tech buddy does -- maybe i'll take my sjm in when i have to change strings again and see exactly what the radius is on this neck... mainly for the sake of curiosity.

--dee!

11. madvette

madvette New Member

Dont have a radius gauge. But it cant be that far off then my jazzmaster. Will take the SJM neck in to get messured.

12. dspellman

Checked with Kurt. TWO things regarding the SJM:

One, the bridges have a 13" radius, same as the other SX guitars. Most original Fenders in the Jag/JM/Mustang line have 7.5/9.5" radius necks.

Two, all new SJMs now come with a roller bridge (as of Feb/March).

13. yesca

yesca New Member

Here is a radius gauge:

[Edited on 10-4-2009 by yesca]

Attached Files:

14. geetartuna

geetartuna New Member

That bridge looks like you might be able to adjust it to any radius.:dunno:

15. dspellman

It's a helluva bridge, I'll admit that. Marvel of tweeky machining, and I LOVE that kind of stuff.

I think it's designed for the 7.5-9.5 radius stuff, though, and while it is adjustable, running one out to 13" or so might take it toward the stops on its adjustability. I wrote the guy asking about that very thing, and if so, would it make sense to build one that starts at around 12" (sort of the current standard of the industry) as well. Haven't heard back yet.

This is a pretty specialized item, after all...

16. yesca

yesca New Member

That is a pretty swift bridge, let us know if it worked.