New Cab Design - Must See!

Discussion in 'Amps' started by RiverDog, Jul 4, 2019.

1. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

Just wow! This is revolutionary. Stay with the video through the comparison between the Barefaced 1x12 and the Victory 2x12 for the full WOW factor.

Definitely not your father's guitar cabinet.

2. RiverDog

Bumped

3. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

Nice! Bit out of my price range but love the sound and way it doesn't change sound depending on position.

RiverDog likes this.

4. RiverDog

Yeah not cheap unfortunately. But like the guy said, maybe they'll be able to license the design to companies that can make it cheaper.

5. DominicC

DominicC Well-Known Member

The acoustics geek in me is super excited about this.

RiverDog likes this.
  6. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Skip to 14:32 to actually hear the cabinet

tlarson58 and RiverDog like this.
  7. bc rich

bc rich Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Interesting , reminds me of a Klipschorn corner horn from back in the day when they designed speakers to get maximium sound from the low wattage tube stereos of the day .
    At some point plans & specks will be available to the diy peoples

tonray likes this.
  8. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Something new to geek out over. Dont know I needed that but now I need that.

9. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

Very cool. It looks like a wave guide design I’ve seen used with hi-fi setups and bass cabinets. Using both sides of the speaker is an interesting adaptation to the concept. And it certainly appears to work well, at least inside. I wonder if the results are still good in the outdoors. Their 3D model may not reveal all the trademark secrets but there’s enough there for a DIY to build their own prototype for use. I imagine the physics and math involved here are not “rocket science” but I would believe tuning it precisely does require some calculations depending on the speaker used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDog likes this.
  10. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

Alex Claber has been a speaker/cabinet designer whiz for quite a while, but his company Barefaced has only recently begun adding *guitar* cabinets to the mix. The website is originally barefacedbass.com, and he's done some great bass cabs (and you'll find them all over talkbass.com's forums) largely for the UK audience. That's why Chapman has never heard of him. He and a few others have concentrated on building bass cabinets that are lighter and more powerful (and in some cases, full range) than the dreck you see at Guitar Splinter. Some folks have pulled his full-range bass cabinets into their modeler systems with great success.

Most guitar cabinets aren't "designed" in any meaningful way. Instead, they're "traditional," meaning that the current offering is a copy of whatever was slapped together 60 years ago, and that usually meant only that there's a baffle large enough to hold however many speakers there are, a box built around it of plywood, and some tolex and a brand name stapled on.

Claber and other speaker cabinet designers work at a much higher level with both bass and wider range gear, and some of them have recently begun poking their noses into guitar speaker cabinets where the needs have usually involved a much shorter frequency range and little consideration of efficiency, weight, and/or tone shaping. While there have been some weird-ass "innovations" occasionally in the guitar cabinet industry, most of these were unsupported by any form of technical expertise and were pretty much a waste of wood.

I haven't tried the Barefaced guitar cabinet yet, but I have had access to a few of the bass cabs, and those have been worth the time and the money.

RiverDog likes this.
  11. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

"Wave guide" design is only about a third of that backside. Using both sides of the speaker has been done. Using the back with a slot specifically designed for that speaker and then adding the wave guide TO that is a different thing.

I don't think this cabinet is recommended for outdoors, in that there's no place for the sound waves coming off the back of the speaker to be turned back around toward the audience. Pretty much an "in the room" cabinet. In my experience, outdoors requires directional sound reinforcement, and things like the old Altec 7 boxes were cherished for a 90 degree dispersion.

Close miking these cabinets won't do much for you (as the video mentions) to understand the sound these put out -- you need to have a room mike in order to "get" what the cabinet is adding to the sound.

One more thing -- the selling point of this cabinet is that no matter where you go in the room, the sound doesn't change. A standard guitar cabinet will almost always have a different sound if you're off-axis, with the 4x12 beaming like a bastard everything from 450Hz on up. If you're looking for a bedroom speaker cabinet, something like this would be the obvious choice.

12. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

That is one very cool video. I couldn't believe how omnidirectional the sound waves became with the inclusion of the thing in the back of the cab. (Rob's facial expression when the guy said "defraction slot" was hilarious) Very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing the video, RiverDog.

Wow, just looked at prices. A bit out of my range....LOL. Still, amazing sound. I'm impressed.

RiverDog likes this.
  13. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

Interesting design, but I'm standing pat. Good for Pagey....

14. eldos1

eldos1 Well-Known Member

The wave guides like that have been used in Concert Subwoofers, but those were usually a closed back/ guide to the front to help make the low end more directional and punchy. Other designs like the old "earth quake" subs used a front facing speaker with a folded wave guide to send the "rear sound" out the front. - The old trick with open back guitar cabs was to keep them around 2-3" off a wall and let the wall bounce the sound.