New Found Love For An Older Amp: Fender G Dec 3 Thirty

Discussion in 'Amps' started by Powertrip240, May 16, 2019.

1. Powertrip240

Powertrip240 Well-Known Member

I've never been a gigging guitarist. During the short time that I was in a band, I was a drummer. So I've never felt the need for high-wattage amps, or any large amounts of gear. Well, large amounts of gear is a relative term, I suppose. But I digress.

My current amp, and only amp at the moment, is a Fender G Dec 3 Thirty. The one with the SD card slot, and the USB port, to allow you to connect it to a PC and use Fender Fuse.

I have been playing more metal music than anything else lately. So just last night, I decided to change the settings on the amp. I downloaded and installed the presets from the Metal FSR (Factory Special Run). It took about 15 minutes to figure it out and have it up and running in "face melting mode". Man, I love this amp! The plethora of adjustable settings, stompboxes, backing tracks, etc. make this thing more versatile than I am! And the sound quality is really damn good considering it's a 10" speaker and little tweater, in a closed back cabinet.

So after getting all that situated, I started playing around with other download-able presets, and tweaking some of the settings, and really discovered the flexibility of this old amp. I've been playing some Pantera, and I was able to dial in a great Dimebag sound. I saved a mid-scooped high-gain sound for "Walk", and made a nice lush chorusy clean with reverb and delay for the intro to "This Love". I was then able to save them to the 'Quick Access', which is selectable with the 4 button foot switch. I haven't even started playing with the backing tracks yet, but that'll be coming up soon.

I think I paid $100 for the amp off of CL about 6 months ago. I had the same amp a few years ago, but sold it for one reason or another. I'm glad I was able to find another one on the cheap, 'cuz this thing is awesome for a bedroom guitarist, or even as a practice amp for a gigging guitarist, for that matter.

That is all, you may now return to your regularly scheduled program.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

I really wanted one of those so I could download the blues FSR pack but u couldn't find one at a price I wanted to pay. I had the 15 watt original and it was instrumental in me getting my timing down. Great tools, those!

3. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon New Member

I have one of the original G Dec 15. But it started to get bad distortion . So I am going to open it up and see which part or parts need replaceing. But the G Dec line of amps are very versatile Amps. Oh I still use the amp for the Tuner and the Backing tracks which don't have the distortion coming thru that part of it.

4. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

I also have an original G-Dec 15, the controls were getting a little scratchy and need to be cleaned. I've put it away with the goal of cleaning it up and putting back into service, but my project list is long right now. I recall a few youtube videos on how to clean the controls and some folks have seen nice improvements with a speaker swap.

5. CyFan4036

I pulled mine apart and cleaned the selector knob pot because it was jumping all over the place. Solved the problem completely.

Tiga likes this.
  6. t-glo

t-glo Well-Known Member

I've had mine for years and it still works and sounds great. I used mine for solo jazz gigs and now I have 100s of backing traxx so I can practice. Try useing headphones. You think it sounds great now....just plug in the phones and you become part of the music like in a studio.

CyFan4036 and Powertrip240 like this.
  7. Powertrip240

Powertrip240 Well-Known Member

I'll give that a try! Thanks.

8. t-glo

t-glo Well-Known Member

You just may have an out of body experience.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  9. CyFan4036

When I played the Latin Lead for the first time it was transcendent. I sounded just like Santana:whistle:

t-glo likes this.
  10. chimi42

chimi42 Well-Known Member

I have the 3-30, it's my only amp since i live in an apartment. Does absolutely everything i need. I love the ability to jam/practice with backing tracks.

11. t-glo

t-glo Well-Known Member

I used to play the Southern Hills country club on Thursday's and had about 65to70 smooth jazz tracks and for 3 hours I would sit in the corner and just play through my gedec and this was a big dining room and it filled the room.