New Studio Pc - Testing Mixes

Discussion in 'Jam Room' started by Narsh, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

Got the new Mac Mini in and setup.

I have everything loaded along with a few new plugins. Fabfilter (which is quite the CPU hog) and Get Good Drums - Modern and Massive.

Please let me know what you guys think, I'm still tweaking things but I think it sounds pretty good.

andrewsrea likes this.
  2. SustainerPlayer

SustainerPlayer Well-Known Member

Those drums sounds very good. I'll have to check 'em out. Stellar guitar sound - right in the face. The mix seems a little light on the bass-side? But overall very good modern sound and seperation.

Good dynamic plugins like Fabfilter and Tokyo Dawn do put it's pressure on the CPU. I don't use Fabfilter my self. But check out If there is a multi core cpu option to check in the plugs. In Tokyo Dawn there is also oversampling options like "good" "precise" and "insane" and options for using it "live" or when rendering.

3. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking it out. I agree totally about the bass. It's crazy how the sound character changes completely from machine to machine. I used the same reaper template from my windows machine and it is night and day. Now that I have a good starting point I'll do some more tweaking today.

4. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Meh... just barely phenomenal. ;)

Played back on my extremely accurate studio monitor setup. Really awesome also considering what the internet site's compression schemes do to the originals!

Try something with a woody mid-range and check the detail. That is how I test if my system (DAW, monitors, etc.) is true.

5. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

So I listened the it in the car, airpods, and other speakers around the house an off the bat it sounds much better than my previous stuff on soundcloud. Gonna record something a bit more elaborate tonight to see.

andrewsrea likes this.