NAD New (to Me) Mustang Iii V2

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by T100D, Jul 10, 2018.

1. T100D

T100D Active Member

So, my two Vox AD15VT's were having electronics problems in most of the presets, which was a bummer because they really sounded good played together …
    I was hankering after an AD30VT (bigger speaker, more overhead, lighter than my AD50VT) but then kept reading about the Mustang iii—Hmm, thinks I, this might be a good alternative to the 50, which I love but weighs 48lbs, kinda dumb to haul to jam sessions where I might only play 3 or 4 tunes (hence the AD15's).
    The price was a little out of my range, even GC added tax and shipping to one for $149.99, which brought it up to almost $200. Finally I found one on CL not too far away, for $150.
    I bit the bullet, using some birthday blackmail, and have now had some time to play with it … some observations—

Firstly, 38lbs is good (don't need to haul the handcart). 100W is good to cover a wide range of venue.
    This amp is really deep, but the learning curve is manageable.
    As Fender themselves say, "You won't like every preset, just there to show the possibilities …"
    So far I've got about 35 settings I like, all tweaked from the originals or from user patch downloads, or made up from scratch. I really need to go through and adjust the volumes for a consistent transition from one preset to the next, as I don't have a volume pedal right now (somewhere in my attic there languishes an old, old DeArmond pedal that needs some work …)
    Definitely going to need both the 2 and 4-button footswitches, though!

Not crazy about the compressors, they seem to add some distortion to the sound—I pulled out my old Ibanez CP-835, and it's so creamy … (that's the thing I like about the Vox built-in compressor).
    It seems you can't run two effects of the same type at the same time—kinda annoying, as I like a fast phase run through a slow phase, for example (child of the 60's!), so I guess it's more real pedals, but at least it has an effects loop.

Interesting how the same patch can sound so different with different guitars— my Ibby Custom Agent and SA220EX, for instance. The Douglas WNO630 doesn't sound nearly so good as it does through the Vox, even using the AC30 preset, but hopefully that's just a matter of tweaking or an EQ pedal in the effects loop … I wonder how the Guild T100D is gonna sound (Franz P90's as opposed to Alnico 8 or ceramic humbuckers on the others)?
    My Gianninni Craviola doesn't sound so great through the Vox, maybe the Mustang's greater tweakability will help …

I was thinking about selling the Vox AD50, but first I want to run it together with the Mustang (next outdoor gig!)
    More to come …

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Well-Known Member

That MIII is a GREAT amp...so is that AD50VT. I've got both, as well as a AD30VT, and lots of others you've not mentioned. But, the mustang and the Vox are both just great great amps

3. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Nice grab! I've thought about picking up one of iii's myself. I have the small mustang 1 I use as a practice amp and it's a lot of fun.

4. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

The MIII rage has kinda slowed down and the BiG SHiFT has gone to KATANA in it's various shades...

I wouldn't sell the VOX.

5. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

I had an MIII with both foot pedals and the expressions pedal, I thought it was a fantastic amp, just a bit too big/loud for my living room. If you can find a used expressions pedal grab it - they work fantastically well with the amp and you can program them to do lots of different things, although the default is volume and they do it well.

I have a Katana 50 now and it's great, but honestly I think the clean models on the Mustang are still nicer. And I really like the MIII interface. If I could get a 25 watt mustang in a cab the size of the katana it would be the perfect amp I think.

Tiga likes this.
  6. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Amp. What amp? I did not see any amp pics. :)

<HNAD!!>

7. T100D

T100D Active Member

Picky, picky (so to speak!):LOL: You must have seen a million pics of the Mustang … :):smile:
    It's an amp …

8. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Is the Mustang ii about the same size as the Katana 50? I've thought about picking up the Katana a few times but I wonder if I would be just as happy (or happier) with the mustang ii. Cheap used - and I like the Fuse interface and already have patches that I can share with my practice amp.

9. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

The Katana to my ears is a darker (non-Fender doh) sounding amp which a lot of folks prefer ie Marshall.

10. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

MII is a bit taller than a Katana 50 but a little narrower. The big difference between the II and the III though is the user interface - the III has a vastly superior (IMHO) interface than the II with the LCD panel and extra tactile buttons. But if you are just one to "set it and forget it", the MII does have all the same DSP capabilities for the most part. Something about the size of the II with the interface of the III would have been my ideal amp. I still have a mustang mini that I use pretty frequently, and I'd consider grabbing an MI if I saw a stupid cheap deal on one.

11. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Baldy McBaldhead Staff Member

The M3 is a great amp! I had one for years and really enjoyed it. Infinite number of presets available if you want them or just work from the “basic” amps already loaded and dial it in.

I’ll admit that I did sell mine and both footswitches to fund a Katana 100 combo. I wanted the more Marshall sounds rather than the Fender cleans. But the M3 will straight up get you that Fender sparkle, no doubt.

12. T100D

T100D Active Member

Gigging the Mustang for the first time tonight—3hr Jazz/Blues jam session. Will be using my '76 Ibanez Custom Agent (LP variation), Ibanez SA220EX and the Douglas WNO630, and who knows what else, depending on who sits in …
    Anybody in the Seattle/Kitsap County area, come on down to the Treehouse Café on Bainbridge Island, starts at 7PM (more or less!). Signup sheet, 3 tunes of your choice—we've had some pretty impressive players so far …