Newish Callisto Std + : 25.5" Scale Length??????

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by Manodano, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm among the group of AGFers that recently purchased a SX Callisto from the current crop on the Rondo website. There's been quite a few threads and posts about these guitars, and along the way someone mentioned that the 24.75 scale notches in their guitar neck straight edge did not line up with the frets. I sort of ignored this until now, since I thought that would be really odd.

Tonight I had my Callisto on the bench, setting up for a fret level, and when I placed my 24.75" scale notched straight edge on the neck, I saw that the neck is definitely not the standard Gibson 24.75" scale. I have the bridge off the guitar, but measuring nut to twelfth fret, I get 12.25", and twelfth fret to centerline of bridge posts measures 12.25". In other words, I'm really surprised to find that this guitar is 24.5" scale. ????

Now, the guitar plays in tune just fine, and I like the feel of it, but I find the oddball scale to be peculiar to this guitar. Somebody at the factory in China worked hard to calculate the required fret spacing rather than just copying the Gibson spacing like they have been doing in China for decades now.

I went back and looked at the specs on the Rondo website and they indicate 25.75" scale.

So, can any of you other Callisto owners or owners of other "gibson" style guitars sold on the Rondo website confirm that your examples are also 25.5" scale?

2. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Interesting!

I would think imports are not usually 24.75" because they're measuring in millimeter, but should be a lot closer than that!

Manodano likes this.
  3. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

Most older Gibsons are actually 24.6" scale...

PsychoCid and Manodano like this.

4. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I would disregard the rondo 25.5 info as typical copy/paste Rondo error.

What made sense to me was that SX used a 625 MM "rounded down" measurement, rather than an actual 628.65mm scale that 24.75" equals. My 24.75" notched fretboard level just fell out of sync down the length and the last few frets interfered so that I couldnt get FB contact.

Sure enough, SX websight states 625mm scale.
    https://www.sx-guitar.com/index.php/Products/detail/pid/26/id/332

I ended up flattening my neck to where most of the frets plained out flat down center of neck using a straight edge ( my leveling beam) and a flashlight from other side.
    My problem has been a few low frets, so its worked out well enough to get the FB assumedly flat.

My Callisto fret leveling attempts have turned out great (also glued frets w/stewmac fret glue). I have one more Callisto to do that will then be awaiting for a set of pickups to be made and shipped that cost 3.5x the Callisto. ha ha. I've been waiting for these pups for 19 months. A stupidly long waiting period. Its okay, the 169$ Callisto tone will make it all worth while.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Manodano and stevebway like this.
  5. Partscaster

Interesting. And that is closest rounding mm to 625mm. (624.84 mm)
    Did Gibson copy guitar scale lengths previously metric from European builders?
    Scandalous!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Manodano likes this.
  6. snarph

snarph Well-Known Member

checking the listings at rondo all say 24.75 maybe a cut and paste error ?

7. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Seems kind of funny that companies who's job is to copy would want to completely reinvent the wheel this way. And in what is absolutely the most critical measurements there are on a stringed instrument. I find they usually get all the fret placements perfect, probably from a copied jig worked out long ago but then sometimes find the placement of the nut to be off by a mm or 3. Crazy it's not included in the jig as that is the single most important measurement in relation to bridge and every single other fret.

Manodano and Mickey like this.
  8. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

That is because they are accustomed to working in centipedes & mega mice & stuff like that. :)
    Instead of real measurements like cubits, furlongs & fathoms!
    I'll bet they don't even measure speed in furlongs per fortnight?!?

nomadh, Believer, Manodano and 4 others like this.
  9. uglyvw

uglyvw Well-Known Member

I was hesitant with my PRS Zach Myers since it is listed as 24.5" scale length, but I have found it very comfy and it fits me well.

10. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I got around to the fret level last night. Frets 4 and 12 were high, fret 4 being the worst and the offender that I noticed when playing the guitar right away. The last few frets way up the fretboard were a little high as well, but thats never surprise.

I thought the stock nut on this guitar was ok more or less, but I bought a Tusc nut for it anyway. After a lot of carefull tapping, prying, and wiggling, I gave up on removing the stock nut. Its in a real tight slot, and they must have super glued it in. I’m going to try to live with it for now. I’ve seen too many pictures of chunks of wood that came off when a glued nut was removed.

11. Partscaster

I kept the nuts, too. Same fear of trashing the wood.
    Kept the steel saddled bridge on one, but bought brass saddled import GFS bridges for two, to shift the tone some. Gotoh 18/1 agile tuners fit perfectly, although stock ones seem okay, I'ld guess they're 14/1.
    Will you change pups? If so, whats going in? I'll be interested to read what your impressions of the guitars tone is once your mods are complete.