NGD Nfgd -firefly Ffdcs

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by uwmcscott, Jul 29, 2019.

1. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

I don't think it's dye. It looks like it might be some chemical discoloring. Bleach or solvent? I'd wondered if the silverbursts neck were bound like some other models. Maybe it's a glue reaction or something used to clean, or or or....

I don't think they have a background in this area. They're prob just looking at images of similar style guitars & thinking "that's close enough". Close enough doesn't work on bridges obviously.

Despite my critical introduction I hope these guys get it sorted. It's awesome that someone has tapped our "cheap guitar want" with styles other than teles/strats/LP's. I'm pulling for an SG Jr, but that body would be a tall order from them.

That cotton candy looking LP belongs in an ICP video.

rsckrc91 likes this.
  2. jmilch

jmilch Well-Known Member

The LP bridge on the prototype model looked like no one measured where the bridge belongs.

I’m beginning to think they had one or two good runs with the firefly and seem to be dropping the ball on some of these others. Which sucks, I wanted to buy one. But not until these issues are resolved.

3. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

Even though this one is much better from a QC standpoint than the 338, but I don't know that i would buy one, even as a mod platform. An AD 201/2200 is a far nicer guitar for not much more money. Yes, they are ridiculously cheap and certainly could be made into a playable/usable guitar with a few $$ on parts, but then again not everyone wants that.

I will agree that they are definitely listening to their customers though and could certainly be successful if they clean up the QC a bit and keep making the models the market demands.

4. idiotsdelight

I just thought of something. To my knowledge I've never seen a guitar maker do R&D with the general public. That's pretty much what this amounts to, yes?

Who are the people at Firebird on that FB page? Everyone keeps referring to a couple people. George? D?

Gfurman likes this.
  5. Gfurman

Gfurman Active Member

Okay so here's an interesting recent review of the soon to launch LP style guitar. It's interesting because he addresses and provides some insight regarding the odd "stop bar" location previously mentioned in this post. It starts at about the 6:54 mark.

6. idiotsdelight

1 guitar gets the bridges mounted too far forward. The next type gets the stop too far back. Cant wait for the next shipment.

7. LongBlackTie

LongBlackTie Well-Known Member

agree with ID that the blue/purple burst finish is hideous.

Having said that, my 338 goldtop is perfect. I restrung it and tuned it and it stays in tune and sounds great. I didn't adjust action or change parts, nada. I was very impressed.

If they get stopbar and tailpiece in the right position I might plunge for one, just for the helluva it.

8. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Beautiful flame on that Blue LP style. Looks weird with stop bar that far back. Are these Photo Tops, or veneers of actual wood?

9. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member

if youre doing a side by side comparison, which you are, t looks like the space on the last few frets onjthe firefly is wider than onm the rightr guirtar? 24 vs 22 maybe?

BTW: Blue is GREAT looking

10. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

i think that's just perspective--it's closer and at a different angle.

11. bluesking55

bluesking55 Well-Known Member

Thats the only reason I wont buy 1..just looks ugly.. Ive bought 2 338's semi-hollow... those are realllllly nice... neck to me is perfect

12. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

EDIT: Removing my negative comments of my own volition, so as not to be a whiny thread hijacker. My apologies to @uwmcscott . Congrats and HNGD. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    idiotsdelight likes this.