Staff Pick Ngd - Agile Al-3100mcc Floyd Rose Lemon Burst

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Powertrip240, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Powertrip240

Powertrip240 Active Member

The day has finally come! My newest addition is here! I've spent the past hour or so unboxing, inspecting, tuning, and inspecting again. I have come to the conclusion that you guys are right: Agile guitars are awesome!!

First, a couple of unboxing pictures:

IMG_3184 2.JPG IMG_9296 2.JPG IMG_2543.JPG

2. Powertrip240

I had initially planned on getting the same model, but in black flame. Then the Lemon Burst came up on the website, and I was torn on which one to get. A couple of coin tosses later, I decided on this one. As soon as I saw the color and the finish, I knew I made the right decision. I gave it a once over, then took it to my bench to get better lighting for a closer inspection.

IMG_0109.JPG IMG_9911.JPG IMG_8880.JPG IMG_1514.JPG IMG_7715.JPG IMG_2238.JPG

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    jjudas, ronnx, sabasgr68 and 18 others like this.
  3. NoStratsPlease

NoStratsPlease Well-Known Member

Congrats on the sexy guitar, man!

4. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

Noice!!!!

5. DanOH

DanOH Well-Known Member

Beautiful
    If the pictures on the website looked that good Kurt would sell out a lot quicker

6. Powertrip240

The finish is gorgeous. The frets are perfect, with the best fret ends I've seen in a very long time. I did find a couple of small flaws however. On the bass side of the neck, right at the joint, there appeared to be a very small crack in the finish.
    IMG_0F80B6DD2413-1.jpeg

However, after a much closer inspection, using a 10x magnifying glass, I found that it is not a crack, but a scratch. I also inspected all around the neck joint, and found no other signs of any defects. I am satisfied that it is only a scratch. It is so minute, it's a non-issue.

The only other thing that stood out to me is the fretboard. When caught in a certain light, I noticed lots of little dark spots all over the surface of the fretboard. It almost looks like it got splashed with something before it was finished. They are hard to see in the pictures. Look between the frets, in the spaces without fret markers. It almost looks like cheetah spots.

IMG_7605.JPG IMG_0367.JPG IMG_3933.JPG IMG_0774.JPG

7. despiadado

despiadado Well-Known Member

Congrats on the NGD dude, and welcome to the family! between you and @Razzle, these Lemonbursts with Floyds are fucking sick. I may need to join the crew

8. NoStratsPlease

NoStratsPlease Well-Known Member

This is just speculation about current Agiles that I can't confirm...but, I'd guess that with the major shift towards Ebony conservation, that guitar makers likely have to pay a larger premium for totally black boards now (not surprising.) So, I suspect (and have seen it speculated with other brands) that most makers buy the lighter or streakier Ebony boards and dye them darker. I've noticed this on the last few Agile purchases that had an Ebony board. But, after wiping down the boards during string changes and just general playing, the spots have disappeared over time.

9. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

Happy NGD! One of us... One of us....

Those spots will probably go away when you clean and oil the fretboard. But boy, that Floyd looks big on that guitar!

despiadado and BrianSkeezer like this.
  10. Geoffrey Charles

Geoffrey Charles Well-Known Member

11. Powertrip240

I also noticed that the neck pickup is tilted a bit, not quite level with the top surface of the guitar. A push with my finger didn't fix it, and neither did a couple turns of the adjustment screws. I'm sure it can probably be adjusted, but I haven't played with it that much, yet.

IMG_4663.JPG IMG_9861.JPG

All small issues, nothing that would cause me to question the quality of the guitar. All in all, I love it! I plugged it into my amp and my pedal board and played for a few minutes. I had originally thought about changing the pickups, before I ever received the guitar. It's just what I'm used to, after buying several Fender Squiers. But these pickups sound great! I have no plans to change them. They sound just the way I imagine a great LP to sound. It plays and feels perfect. The neck is smooth, and the Floyd is well balanced. The guitar was tuned low, which is expected. It is probably going to need a set-up, as I noticed a little fret buzz here and there. However I'm going to wait a couple days and allow the wood to acclimate to the dry Arizona weather first.

IMG_3141.JPG

jjudas, sabasgr68, warped and 4 others like this.
  12. Powertrip240

Thanks. Yeah, I'll be sure to clean it up next time I change the strings. And yes, the Floyd does look a bit ominous, doesn't it! Haha

Mossman likes this.
  13. Powertrip240

I'm not really digging the black knobs. I'm probably going to change them, but I'm still unsure if I want to go with creme color, or amber. I'm also going to remove the pick guard. Just my personal preference.

14. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I've seen that same thing on a few of my Agiles (and other brands too). Sometimes it's from the pickup flange hanging up on the side of that deeper part of the rout for it. You can loosen up the strings just enough to move the pickup and ring out of the way and just chip a little of the side away (a small flat bladed screwdriver will work fine). It's a pretty simple and quick fix...

15. Powertrip240

Thanks TJ. I'll take a look in a couple days when I do the set-up.

16. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Floyd Lemonburst club! Congrats!!!

I agree, this is a killer offering from Uncle Kurt. I checked mine and it too has a ridge in the clear coat where the neck meets the body. Mine's a ridge, yours is a crack. I'd say it's a process thing in the way the korean factory makes the guitars. I didn't bat an eye on that one. And my PU is sligtly angled too, but $hit I think every HB LP I have has the PUs not exactly even!

Well congrats on your NGD. Post a clip of the sound of that baby (and don't forget to get rid of them black knobs, c'mon Kurt!)

17. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wow I really like that finish, congrats!

Powertrip240 likes this.
  18. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

congrats! it's a beauty, but it looks like you accidentally got one with a floyd rose tremelo!

ha, seriously, though, hngd! when i got my 3010se (black flame, actually) last year, the fretboard felt a little rough and there was clearly some kind of black stain or dye on it, my fingers turned black playing it and when i cleaned/oiled it a lot of it came off on the rag. but even after i cleaned it, it still looks very nearly black-black and the roughness went away, just some kind of surface-level goop. it's clearly not quite as smooth as the ebony board on my usa g&l s-500 or the taylor gs-mini--you can see that it's wood and not richlite--but it looks and feels pretty damn good.

Powertrip240 likes this.
  19. Powertrip240

De-pickguard-ified, and strap locks installed. I just love the color, and didn't want the pick guard covering any of it. And after looking at that picture, MAN, that binding is beautiful!!

IMG_0746.JPG

jjudas, Rokdog, warped and 6 others like this.
  20. Powertrip240

Thanks! I like this club! After taking a real close look at the crack, and seeing it was only in the clear coat on the binding, I lost all concern. And I'm really not too concerned about the pickup tilt, but I'll try playing with it when I change strings.

I'll try to get a sound clip up one of these days. Once I learn how to play guitar. LOL

Yeah, I thought this stop bar tail piece looked a little funny! Thanks for the heads up. I'll give the fretboard a good cleaning when I change the strings.

Razzle likes this.